Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > LCD projector and 12" PoweBook-no signal

LCD projector and 12" PoweBook-no signal
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2005, 10:39 AM

Hi All,

I've got a Mitsubishi XD50U LCD projector hooked up to a 12" Powerbook (1.33GHz). It's running OS 10.3.8

The Powerbook thinks it's hooked up to the projector (the Displays Control panel has the "Arrange" option, and it indicates the LCD projector by model number), but I'm getting nothing displayed by the projector (it just indicates that it's searching for a signal).

The projector has a DVI connector in the back, and it came with a DVI to D-sub 15 pin conversion cable, which I've hooked up to the dongle the Powerbook came with (converts the square monitor connector on the side of the Powerbook to a 15 pin connector).

I'm setting all this up for my daughter's birthday party, and I'm almost out of time (guests arriving soon!). Can anybody help?

Chas

X-Ray
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2005, 11:01 AM

Since you're in London you might want to go to the Apple store and buy the mini-dvi to to dvi cable. Your current problem may have to do with the fact that you're routing a digital signal to analog then back to digital. I notice that your projector doesn't have component (RGB) video inputs or I would suggest a dvi to component video adapter.

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2005, 11:17 AM

Hi X-Ray,

Yeah, I thought that digital to analog to digital was just asking for trouble.

I didn't know that there were mini-dvi to dvi cables, but it's too late to get all that way and back (fyi: I'm in Hammersmith, about an hour there and back on the Tube, and guests have started to arrive).

I've managed to determine that a machine sending out an original analog signal will work, using an old G4 I had sitting around, but awhile ago I swapped out its DVD drive for a CD-RW drive (gave the DVD drive to my Dad ages ago). So, I'm going to see if I can get my G5 desktop machine to talk to the projector (main issue: cable length...).

Thanks for that info though, I very much appreciate the rapid reply!

Chas

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2005, 02:30 PM

fyi: I pulled the fastest ever optical drive swap: from old G3 with DVD, pulled and into the G4 which had mere CD-RW. Still don't know what the deal is with the PowerBook, but I've got the G4 up and running and movies doing well (and hoarde of kids have stopped smacking me in the head, finally :-)

Chas

Forum Links
Forum Rules