Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Radeon 9800 Pro Extra Power?

Radeon 9800 Pro Extra Power?
grovberg
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2005, 05:16 PM

So, I bought a Radeon 9800 Pro video card recently and it came in on Monday. I wasted no time slapping it into my case and starting my machine back up. Everything seems to work great. Skip to today (Wednesday) when I'm cleaning up around my desk. I notice the unread instruction manual, and just kind of flip through it (I didn't bother when I installed it...I mean it's just a graphics card, right?). Anyway, I noticed that it says you need to attach it to a power connector in your case, and to use the included Y adapter. Okay, so not only did it not come with any such adapter, but I definitely didn't do that when I installed it.

So the real question is, if everything seems to be working fine, should I bother getting my hands on the Y adapter and opening up my machine again? Is my card perhaps not running a full speed as a result? Any hidden danger?
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

X-Ray
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2005, 05:29 PM

If your card is the G5 only 256mb version then you don't need the power connector. The y-power adapter is only needed for the 128mb version that can go in a G4 or G5.

grovberg  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2005, 10:35 PM

Seems that way. I looked on the card and the connector it refers to doesn't even seem to exist. The manual makes no reference to that being a possibility. Sigh....

Thanks for the confirmation. :-)
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

Forum Links
Forum Rules