Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The rare 1970s ass-kicking music thread

The rare 1970s ass-kicking music thread
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2005, 02:43 AM

I'm looking for some new music to add to my collection along the same vein as the linked songs below...

I'm on a 1970s kick right now. Unlike many of the garage bands that are funded by the big record studios who are somewhat hit and miss in depth, the Motown/R&B/Funk bands of the 70s always packed the bands with awesome studio musicians who could absolutely play their asses off in any band. Many of these bands had huge sounds, horn sections, tight rhythm sections, and were as funky as hell. Obviously, I grew up in the wrong generation!

Everybody knows about bands like Blood Sweat and Tears, Earth Wind and Fire, the Head Hunters, Tower of Power, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, etc., but I've found several albums and bands that seem to be pretty rare gems. I can probably safely post links to some of these tracks, because this music is pretty hard to find. I'd be interested if any of you have heard of this stuff before...

At any rate, I'm hoping you enjoy what I have here, and I hope you'll turn me onto similar sorts of things for me to check out. Links to clips in iTunes, or wherever else would be great.

Chick Corea's Leprechaun Band:

http://www.netmusician.org/~joe/NiteSprite.mp3

This rhythm section will make you pee yourself. There is a lot of interaction going on here, it gets pretty busy and loud, but this band is absolutely nails. Check out what the drummer and bass player are doing!

"Chase"

http://www.netmusician.org/~joe/Bochawa.m4a

The leader, Bill Chase (trumpet) died in a plane crash after only cutting 2 or 3 albums. This band absolutely smokes, and the horn section is insanely powerful and hair-parting.

Chick Corea's Mad Hatter Band:

http://www.netmusician.org/~joe/FallingAlice.mp3

This track is haunting, funky, infectious, and deep. This album is an interpretation of music that would fit Alice in Wonderland, this particular track is supposed to be Alice falling down the rabbit hole.

If you want to know more about any of this, let me know... I'm anxious to hear what you think. I'm also anxious to here what you'll come up with on this theme!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2005, 03:21 AM

(pssst: Chick Corea is probably more well-known than Tower of Power)

JustAnOl'Broad
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2005, 03:52 AM

See if you can find Brian Auger; Happiness is just around the bend.
I checked iTunes they don't have that song.
I thought the album was Auger Rhythms.
Can't provide a link.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2005, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
(pssst: Chick Corea is probably more well-known than Tower of Power)
You're probably right... I don't know why I said ToP, I should have threw in Stevie Wonder instead.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2005, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by JustAnOl'Broad
See if you can find Brian Auger; Happiness is just around the bend.
I checked iTunes they don't have that song.
I thought the album was Auger Rhythms.
Can't provide a link.
This guy?

http://www.brianauger.com

There don't seem to be any clips on his site, I'll have to poke around a little more later.. perhaps when I'm a little more awake.

Thanks very much!

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2005, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c
I'm looking for some new music to add to my collection along the same vein as the linked songs below...

I'm on a 1970s kick right now. Unlike many of the garage bands that are funded by the big record studios who are somewhat hit and miss in depth, the Motown/R&B/Funk bands of the 70s always packed the bands with awesome studio musicians who could absolutely play their asses off in any band. Many of these bands had huge sounds, horn sections, tight rhythm sections, and were as funky as hell. Obviously, I grew up in the wrong generation!

Everybody knows about bands like Blood Sweat and Tears, Earth Wind and Fire, the Head Hunters, Tower of Power, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, etc., but I've found several albums and bands that seem to be pretty rare gems. I can probably safely post links to some of these tracks, because this music is pretty hard to find. I'd be interested if any of you have heard of this stuff before...

At any rate, I'm hoping you enjoy what I have here, and I hope you'll turn me onto similar sorts of things for me to check out. Links to clips in iTunes, or wherever else would be great.

Chick Corea's Leprechaun Band:

http://www.netmusician.org/~joe/NiteSprite.mp3

This rhythm section will make you pee yourself. There is a lot of interaction going on here, it gets pretty busy and loud, but this band is absolutely nails. Check out what the drummer and bass player are doing!

"Chase"

http://www.netmusician.org/~joe/Bochawa.m4a

The leader, Bill Chase (trumpet) died in a plane crash after only cutting 2 or 3 albums. This band absolutely smokes, and the horn section is insanely powerful and hair-parting.

Chick Corea's Mad Hatter Band:

http://www.netmusician.org/~joe/FallingAlice.mp3

This track is haunting, funky, infectious, and deep. This album is an interpretation of music that would fit Alice in Wonderland, this particular track is supposed to be Alice falling down the rabbit hole.

If you want to know more about any of this, let me know... I'm anxious to hear what you think. I'm also anxious to here what you'll come up with on this theme!
Try Billy Stewart's "Summertime" (early 60's, yeah, I know) and realize the score called for him to have ended the song instead of his going another one of his (now) famous lip trills. The conductor followed "Fat Boy's" lead and the musicians were (for the most part) aware enough to not bail out on the take.

They let Stewart attempt this masterpiece and helped in every way they could, doing a great job of improvising and they closed it triumphantly. Every single person there KNEW they had captured lightning in a bottle. Every time I hear that part at the end it gives me goose bumps.

More along the lines of what you asked for is Wilson Pickett's, "Mustang Sally."

The musicians all played tight and inspired, but Pickett, himself, was the one who showed his stuff on this recording.

Phrasing, breath control, intonation, pacing, the little things that seem (and may indeed actually BE) spontaneous, his vocal range, the way he hits his notes dead on. The mastery of his voice-as-instrument is on display here.

His interpretation of the song and the way he makes it HIS and OURS....oh my!!!!

Both of these are worthy of consideration. Two of my faves! As a matter of fact, I'm gonna listen to them right now. Thanks!

EDIT: Ooops, sorry. I posted without really understanding what you were asking for. I listened to your links and the first one was a bit too busy for my tastes. The second I couldn't pull at all (it showed up as code) and the third one reminds me a bit of P-Funk. (Parliament-Funkadelic). Actually, the more I hear it the more I'm liking it. I also hear some 70's TV theme song (a la S.W.A.T.) influences.
( Last edited by mojo2; Aug 6, 2005 at 10:11 AM. )

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2005, 09:53 AM

Not as jazzy as some of what you list, but I've been on a Little Feat kick lately. Waiting for Columbus is one of the most insanely well-played live albums ever released.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2005, 10:46 AM

I just picked up two 2-disc compilations called "The First Days Of Funk," volumes 1 & 2. If you like that sort of thing, there's some smokin' material on it.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Aug 6, 2005, 11:03 AM

Check out the "J.B.'s" Either 'classics' or 'hustle with speed'. I used to own hustle with speed on 8 track, and it totally frekain rocked. JBs= James Brown Band, minus James Brown. They play some ultra fat funky ****.

Also check out the Ohio Players.

Man. Now I want to go burn one. Heh

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 6, 2005, 11:17 AM

Chick Corea is also a looney Scientologist. I met Frank Gambale a few times when he was playing for Chick.

X-Ray
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2005, 11:21 AM

Try these guys out: Hugh Masekela "The Boy's Doin' It" and Kool and the Gang "Kool Funk Essentials 1970-1977". You can sample both albums on the iTunes Music Store.
( Last edited by X-Ray; Aug 6, 2005 at 02:35 PM. )

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2005, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Chick Corea is also a looney Scientologist. I met Frank Gambale a few times when he was playing for Chick.
He is a Scientologist, but he can sure play his ass off!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2005, 02:09 PM

This is true; his stuff sounds WAY too scripted for my taste, though.

His "Toys" album, and the first "Return to Forever" are lovely, though.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2005, 02:17 PM

Yes, Hugh Masekela I just discovered, though he's been doing it for a long time. I like a song from his newest, "Working Underground," when driving to work in the morning.
Check out Koop.
And I've missed a lot of Quincy Jones, so I must listen to more of that.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2005, 02:41 PM

This is true; his stuff sounds WAY too scripted for my taste, though.

His "Toys" album, and the first "Return to Forever" are lovely, though.
Unless you are a huge fan of free jazz, there is certainly nothing wrong with a little structure and song form (if that is what you mean by "scripted"), but certainly Chick's structures and compositions tend to be complicated and intricate.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2005, 02:43 PM

Another great band from this era: The Brecker Brothers

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...ItemId=2693172

(check out Skunk Funk).

Michael Brecker used to be the musical director of SNL, but now is unfortunately fighting cancer (at such a young age, too).

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2005, 02:52 PM

Unless you are a huge fan of free jazz, there is certainly nothing wrong with a little structure and song form (if that is what you mean by "scripted"), but certainly Chick's structures and compositions tend to be complicated and intricate.
No, I mean scripted down to the very last phrasing of every single solo and fill (which it, in fact, is).

Sterile.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2005, 02:55 PM

No, I mean scripted down to the very last phrasing of every single solo and fill (which it, in fact, is).

Sterile.
I've yet to find a Chick Corea album where his solos were written out in advance, I'd be absolutely shocked if such an album exists.

A lot of musicians play a similar solo over a song each time they play it, if that's what you mean. Still not sure I understand.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2005, 02:58 PM

I've yet to find a Chick Corea album where his solos were written out in advance, I'd be absolutely shocked if such an album exists.
As far as I know, that is true of each and every one of his albums.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2005, 03:07 PM

As far as I know, that is true of each and every one of his albums.
I guarantee they aren't. Doc Severnsen, yes.

Nobody plays with Miles Davis who writes out their solos in advance, period. I've also talked or worked with people who have worked with sideman of Chick, this is a sort of secret that couldn't be kept for very long from a pianist known as one of the premiere jazz musicians of our time. Trust me.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Aug 6, 2005, 03:10 PM

Dude. Where are my 70s?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2005, 03:11 PM

Okay. I'll take your authority over mine.

Still feels very sterile to me, though.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2005, 03:14 PM

Okay. I'll take your authority over mine.

Still feels very sterile to me, though.
I do think I understand what you are trying to say though... his stuff is often carefully throughly composed (as opposed to a melody composed, the song form repeated several times, head out).

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2005, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cubeoid
Dude. Where are my 70s?
I don't know? Where are they? Who does it for you?

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2005, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by funkboy
Yes, Hugh Masekela I just discovered, though he's been doing it for a long time. I like a song from his newest, "Working Underground," when driving to work in the morning.
Check out Koop.
And I've missed a lot of Quincy Jones, so I must listen to more of that.
Will check 'em.

Have some Tunnel Rat!
( Last edited by ReggieX; Aug 7, 2005 at 09:58 PM. )

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2005, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by ReggieX
Will check 'em.

Have some Tunnel Rat!
That's good stuff...

Keep it coming guys, this has been very informative for me!

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2005, 09:19 PM

Duplicate

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2005, 09:20 PM

Heh... I have a bunch of tabs open in Safari, and this tab says "the rare 1970's ass"

Okay, maybe it's not that funny....

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2005, 09:51 PM

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2005, 10:07 PM

Heh... I have a bunch of tabs open in Safari, and this tab says "the rare 1970's ass"

Okay, maybe it's not that funny....
I turned 18 in 1980. I can testify that ass was rare in the 70's.

And Bread? :hurl:

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2005, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by chris v
I turned 18 in 1980. I can testify that ass was rare in the 70's.
Rare like roast beef, or rare as in hard to find? The disco folks would disagree with you.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2005, 01:51 PM

I'm a Zepplin and The Who kinda guy. 70s metal = awesome.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules