Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Recommend a Hub

Recommend a Hub
kgmessier
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2005, 04:35 PM

I've decided I'm going to get a USB hub and a FireWire hub and I'd like to get some opinions and recommendations from those of you who have used or currently use hubs. I've got at least four USB devices and two FireWire devices I'll need to connect, I want the hubs to have enough ports that I can at least use all my current devices (having a few free ports is a bonus) and I'd like the hubs to be able to supply power to devices just as a PowerBook can supply power to an iPod.

Thoughts?

- Keith

Arty50
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2005, 06:51 PM

Either of the Belkin TetraHubs (4 or 7 port).
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

crooner
Senior User
Dec 1, 2005, 08:35 PM

Ditto for the Belkin hubs. I'm using two of their 7 port USB 2.0 hubs and their 6 port FireWire hub with my G5 2.7. All are powered and solid.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2005, 10:47 PM

I'd recomend not getting a D-Link. I'm currently using one and it doesn't supply enough juice to connect a memory stick/key drive, portable scanner, or m-audio sonica theather... I've just been to cheap to get something better.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

kgmessier  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2005, 07:19 AM

I've taken a look at the Belkin seven-port USB hubs and they seem to get generally good reviews. However, there's one thing I find confusing: There seems to be a Mac-specific model out there that's slightly more expensive than the others. In fact, there's one that's labeled "economy." What's the difference among these? Can I use any one I choose or do I have to go with the more specific Mac version? Do some have more or different features from others?

- Keith

kgmessier  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2005, 03:15 PM

*bump*

Anyone?

X-Ray
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2005, 11:14 PM

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Dec 6, 2005, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Arty50
Either of the Belkin TetraHubs (4 or 7 port).
It's funny that you should ask!

I've been encountering some weird behavior with a Belkin F5U234-APL-S 4-port hub, which is supposed to be based on the TetraHub technology. Into it I have plugged 1) a Palm Treo 650, 2) an APC Back-UPS unit, 3) a Canon LiDE 50, and 4) a MacAlly IceKey keyboard. The hub then plugs directly into one of the 2 high-speed USB ports on my PowerBook G4/1.67 GHz laptop. The *other* port on the laptop is connected to the USB cable coming from an Apple 20" Cinema Display; the PowerBook, with its lid closed, drives the Cinema display . What I've found is that when I use the Cinema display to put the PB to sleep (using the touch pad on the display), the PB and display will go to sleep briefly, but then will wake up again in about 5 seconds about 75% of the time. And I can know with 100% accuracy when this sleep-then-wakeup will occur, because when I put the whole system to sleep, 2 of the three port- status indicator LEDs remain illuminated; only when all three port- status indicator LEDs are extinguished can I be sure that the computer and display won't wake up. By the way, it isn't the keyboard or mouse that is waking up the system, because even if I plug them directly into the Cinema Display (which has 2 USB ports of its own), the wakeup occurs.

So I ask: why is this happening, and most importantly, how can I put my system to sleep reliably?

I contacted Belkin tech support, which initially responded that "wakeup from sleep is an Apple problem," but when I informed them that the problem only existed with the hub connected, they told me that there "When the AC power adapter for the hub is connected to a surge protector. It seems to give some kind of power disturbance," and recommended that I connect the hub directly to the AC outlet. Have you ever heard of such a thing?! I haven't been able to test this hypothesis yet because I don't have a lot of outlets in the room where my computer resides, but it just seems nonsensical.

Have you Belkin TetraHub owners had such problems?

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Dec 6, 2005, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by kgmessier
I've taken a look at the Belkin seven-port USB hubs and they seem to get generally good reviews. However, there's one thing I find confusing: There seems to be a Mac-specific model out there that's slightly more expensive than the others. In fact, there's one that's labeled "economy." What's the difference among these? Can I use any one I choose or do I have to go with the more specific Mac version? Do some have more or different features from others?
I think it's exactly the same, except for the color (silver). But see my note about the Belkin hub below.

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2005, 10:42 AM

I purchased a new G5 about three weeks ago and I received a new Belkin 7 port USB hub yesterday and I am experiencing the same problem. I don't buy the solution from Belkin because I have my hub plugged into the UPS.

Originally Posted by Le Flaneur
It's funny that you should ask!

I've been encountering some weird behavior with a Belkin F5U234-APL-S 4-port hub, which is supposed to be based on the TetraHub technology. Into it I have plugged 1) a Palm Treo 650, 2) an APC Back-UPS unit, 3) a Canon LiDE 50, and 4) a MacAlly IceKey keyboard. The hub then plugs directly into one of the 2 high-speed USB ports on my PowerBook G4/1.67 GHz laptop. The *other* port on the laptop is connected to the USB cable coming from an Apple 20" Cinema Display; the PowerBook, with its lid closed, drives the Cinema display . What I've found is that when I use the Cinema display to put the PB to sleep (using the touch pad on the display), the PB and display will go to sleep briefly, but then will wake up again in about 5 seconds about 75% of the time. And I can know with 100% accuracy when this sleep-then-wakeup will occur, because when I put the whole system to sleep, 2 of the three port- status indicator LEDs remain illuminated; only when all three port- status indicator LEDs are extinguished can I be sure that the computer and display won't wake up. By the way, it isn't the keyboard or mouse that is waking up the system, because even if I plug them directly into the Cinema Display (which has 2 USB ports of its own), the wakeup occurs.

So I ask: why is this happening, and most importantly, how can I put my system to sleep reliably?

I contacted Belkin tech support, which initially responded that "wakeup from sleep is an Apple problem," but when I informed them that the problem only existed with the hub connected, they told me that there "When the AC power adapter for the hub is connected to a surge protector. It seems to give some kind of power disturbance," and recommended that I connect the hub directly to the AC outlet. Have you ever heard of such a thing?! I haven't been able to test this hypothesis yet because I don't have a lot of outlets in the room where my computer resides, but it just seems nonsensical.

Have you Belkin TetraHub owners had such problems?

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Dec 10, 2005, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Back up 15 and punt
I purchased a new G5 about three weeks ago and I received a new Belkin 7 port USB hub yesterday and I am experiencing the same problem. I don't buy the solution from Belkin because I have my hub plugged into the UPS.
I tried the direct plug-in, and it made no difference. Perhaps there is a design flaw with these hubs?

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2005, 04:42 PM

I tried the direct plug-in, and it made no difference. Perhaps there is a design flaw with these hubs?

Today everything seems to be working OK. Go figure. I did delete the preferences that are related to sleeping. Whether that had anything to do with it not is anybody's guess.

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Dec 10, 2005, 05:04 PM

Do you have the same hardware setup, with an Apple Cinema Display?

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2005, 05:32 PM

Yes. And the Belkin hub is plugged into it.

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Dec 10, 2005, 05:45 PM

Which specific preferences related to sleeping did you delete?

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2005, 08:07 PM

Which specific preferences related to sleeping did you delete?
I deleted the following preferences:

com.apple.AutoWake.plist

com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

Forum Links
Forum Rules