Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Photo Printer Recommendations

Photo Printer Recommendations
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2005, 07:56 AM

I'm in the market for a good photo printer that can handle 5x8 and 4x6 prints. I'm just starting out but it looks like there are two technologies, ink jet and dye-sublimation, any others?

Well it seems to me that dye-sublimation may be a better choice for longevity and smooth color application - am I wrong with that assumption.

What models that are compatible with OSX is a must, while most have the print from memory card option, I always work on my photos on osx (currently using aperture).

Thanks in Advance.
Mike

Lee33
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2005, 10:19 AM

You never mentioned a budget, Mike. I just got the Epson R1800 and this is a killer inkjet printer but the price is around $500. Check out some of the reviews on this machine.
2 X 2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 4.5GB RAM, 30" Cinema Display

t500
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2005, 03:01 PM

Please do not think I'm slamming anyone's printer. I have owned 3 epson printer in the past. They all work great at first. If I stop printing for a couple weeks. I end up with quality issues. After this happens the printers have only been good for text.

I spoke to Epson a few times. They replaced two, and the last one just got dropped off at Good Will. They were all mid range inject printer with LCD's and Card readers. I moved over to a Cannon i900d now and have not had any problems (yet).

t500
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2005, 03:02 PM

Please do not think I'm slamming anyone's printer. I have owned 3 epson printer in the past. They all work great at first. If I stop printing for a couple weeks. I end up with quality issues. After this happens the printers have only been good for text.

I spoke to Epson a few times. They replaced two, and the last one just got dropped off at Good Will. They were all mid range inject printer with LCD's and Card readers. I moved over to a Cannon i900d now and have not had any problems (yet).

jasong
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2005, 03:23 PM

I just got the Canon Pixma MP500 and I love it. I have printed 4x6 and 5x7 off of it, and will probably do some 8x10 soon. Fast, quiet, great picture quality, excellent text printing, and great scanner software. If you don't want the multifunction, they offer stand-alone printers with the same printing engine, I can't personally vouch for the quality, but I would imagine the output is just as good.
-- Jason

Benton
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2005, 03:27 AM

Take your pick that fits your wallet. You won't go wrong.
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...categoryid=103

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2005, 03:31 AM

Canon, that's it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Lee33
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2005, 10:10 AM

Please do not think I'm slamming anyone's printer. ...
I've had this machine for four months now. Sometimes I go a week or two without printing any photos (or anything else for that matter) and never had a problem.
2 X 2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 4.5GB RAM, 30" Cinema Display

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2005, 10:20 AM

I enjoy my Canon Pixma iP5000.

X-Ray
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2005, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
I'm in the market for a good photo printer that can handle 5x8 and 4x6 prints. I'm just starting out but it looks like there are two technologies, ink jet and dye-sublimation, any others?

Well it seems to me that dye-sublimation may be a better choice for longevity and smooth color application - am I wrong with that assumption.

What models that are compatible with OSX is a must, while most have the print from memory card option, I always work on my photos on osx (currently using aperture).

Thanks in Advance.
Mike
Mike, you never stated whether you're looking for a small photo printer or a desktop model. As far as small dedicated photo printers are concerned I'd highly recommend a Canon Selphy CP 510 or CP 710. They're dye subs and produce beautiful , easily handled long lasting prints. I originally bought the CP 510 because it's small and I can tote it along with my iBook (only $99 at Staples). Prints run about 28¢ apiece. Using Aperture the prints are the equal of those from my Epson R1800. It will do 4x6 and 5x8 prints. The only knock is that there are no icc profiles for the printer so you have to use system managed when printing from Aperture - but it works well, though.
As far as desktop models go, if you're after longevity stay away from Canon inkjets. In my household we have 2 pixma printers, an HP 8450 and an Epson R1800 (which has never clogged by the way!). The HP and Epson prints won't fade for a long time- a 100 years or more. I can get great prints from the HP and Epson in Aperture (never tried the Pixmas they're my daughters'). HP prints are subject to heavy moisture damage (don't spit on them!). Even with a calibrated monitor I have a devil of a time getting decent prints from the Epson in CS2 but get fantastic results in Aperture.
If you're after a desktop dye sub take a look at the Kodak 1400.

chrisford
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2005, 01:28 PM

Hi -

I bought a Canon Pixma ip4000 and few months back and have been very happy with it. It prints quickly, the quality is excellent and the ink life seems very good so far. It also has a number of handy features (duplex printing being the most useful) that other printers in the same price range seem to lack.

Given that it was less than one hundred pounds, I'd have no hesitation in recommending it.

Chris

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2005, 12:51 PM

The newer Canon Pixma's now claim a 100 year fade resistance using their new inks. These inks are like in the previous printers are moister resistant.

Originally Posted by X-Ray
Mike, you never stated whether you're looking for a small photo printer or a desktop model. As far as small dedicated photo printers are concerned I'd highly recommend a Canon Selphy CP 510 or CP 710. They're dye subs and produce beautiful , easily handled long lasting prints. I originally bought the CP 510 because it's small and I can tote it along with my iBook (only $99 at Staples). Prints run about 28¢ apiece. Using Aperture the prints are the equal of those from my Epson R1800. It will do 4x6 and 5x8 prints. The only knock is that there are no icc profiles for the printer so you have to use system managed when printing from Aperture - but it works well, though.
As far as desktop models go, if you're after longevity stay away from Canon inkjets. In my household we have 2 pixma printers, an HP 8450 and an Epson R1800 (which has never clogged by the way!). The HP and Epson prints won't fade for a long time- a 100 years or more. I can get great prints from the HP and Epson in Aperture (never tried the Pixmas they're my daughters'). HP prints are subject to heavy moisture damage (don't spit on them!). Even with a calibrated monitor I have a devil of a time getting decent prints from the Epson in CS2 but get fantastic results in Aperture.
If you're after a desktop dye sub take a look at the Kodak 1400.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 12, 2005, 05:18 PM

I've had no fading problems at all with photo prints from my i850, and it doesn't even have the ChromaLife inks. I use only instant-dry photo papers, the kind that tends to accelerate fading.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules