Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Need to use Epson R220 (for OS X) to print from OS 9 app

Need to use Epson R220 (for OS X) to print from OS 9 app
gerasco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2005, 08:55 PM

This is going to seem a little strange, but I need to use my Epson R220 to print from an OS 9 application. Seems like an easy thing to do until I detail my dilemma. Read further....

I'm a teacher in the Miami-Dade County Public School System. This year they mandated the use of an electronic gradebook for all teachers. This gradebook is Java based so that it can be used by both Mac and Windows users. For some reason, the people who wrote the program didn't really understand Mac OSX, so they wrote this program to work under Mac OS 9 Classic only. The weird thing is that you can only access the program in OSX as a Classic application. You can't just boot into OS 9 and use this program... it won't work this way. When I asked their tech support why they just didn't write the program as either an OSX app or OS 9 app, they didn't have an answer for me.

Now for the Epson problem...

When I needed to print something from this program, I had to have OS 9 print drivers for this to work. That works fine on MOST printers at school since many of the Macs are still using OS 9. I just received a brand new Epson R220 a few days ago and noticed that there aren't any drivers for OS 9 on it. It seems that Epson decided that it was time to leave 9 in the past and move forward since it only seems to work with 10.2.x, 10.3.x, and 10.4.x. Epson's tech support confirmed this when I asked them about OS 9 drivers for the R220.

They suggested I try contacting Apple to see if there was some kind of work around. I'm going to do that, but I thought I would try here as well.

I'm a bit stumped as to how I can get around this problem. I'd appreciate any suggestions. I'm already giving the software company alot of grief for writing this program in such a retarded manner, but it doesn't solve my immediate problem.

X-Ray
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2005, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by gerasco
This is going to seem a little strange, but I need to use my Epson R220 to print from an OS 9 application. Seems like an easy thing to do until I detail my dilemma. Read further....

I'm a teacher in the Miami-Dade County Public School System. This year they mandated the use of an electronic gradebook for all teachers. This gradebook is Java based so that it can be used by both Mac and Windows users. For some reason, the people who wrote the program didn't really understand Mac OSX, so they wrote this program to work under Mac OS 9 Classic only. The weird thing is that you can only access the program in OSX as a Classic application. You can't just boot into OS 9 and use this program... it won't work this way. When I asked their tech support why they just didn't write the program as either an OSX app or OS 9 app, they didn't have an answer for me.

Now for the Epson problem...

When I needed to print something from this program, I had to have OS 9 print drivers for this to work. That works fine on MOST printers at school since many of the Macs are still using OS 9. I just received a brand new Epson R220 a few days ago and noticed that there aren't any drivers for OS 9 on it. It seems that Epson decided that it was time to leave 9 in the past and move forward since it only seems to work with 10.2.x, 10.3.x, and 10.4.x. Epson's tech support confirmed this when I asked them about OS 9 drivers for the R220.

They suggested I try contacting Apple to see if there was some kind of work around. I'm going to do that, but I thought I would try here as well.

I'm a bit stumped as to how I can get around this problem. I'd appreciate any suggestions. I'm already giving the software company alot of grief for writing this program in such a retarded manner, but it doesn't solve my immediate problem.
I'm in the same situation as you. I have 2 different printers (one on ethternet, the other on Firewire) set up as Bonjour printers in OS X. This allows me to access them from the chooser in OS 9.2.2. Hope this helps ... Ray

Brian McHale
Dec 21, 2005, 04:25 PM

I recently bought an R800. Apparently it will print if I boot into OS 9, but will not print from Classic mode. I did some research and there are some solutions out there, but I finally decided to simply take this as a sign that I ought to quit using ClarisDraw (the only Classic app I still use).

You might want to try searching on Google with terms like "epson print classic macintosh", or something like that. There are apparently solutions that will work.

I think one of the solutions was to set the printer up to share. Another was to get PRINT TO PDF (or something like that) that would allow you to create PDFs, then print from Acrobat or Preview on OS X.
Brian

Forum Links
Forum Rules