Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Do PC SATA drives at Best Buy work with Macs?

Do PC SATA drives at Best Buy work with Macs?
frankmcma
Mar 11, 2006, 07:26 PM

I see a lot of hard drives in Circuit City / Best Buy that are SATA (I have a G5 dual core) and wondered if these would work in a Mac.

The older ATA drives say PC/Mac, but the newer SATA don't say Mac on the packages, just Windows PC.

Thanks

FM

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2006, 07:40 PM

Most of them will work.
Some of the high-capacity Seagate drives have an enabled-by-default feature called SSC that makes them incompatible with the PowerMacs (and iMacs?); you need to disable SSC with another computer.

frankmcma  (op)
Mar 11, 2006, 08:32 PM

Disable SSC on another computer? How is this done?

High capacity meaning...500GB? More?

Frank

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 08:38 PM

Disable SSC on another computer? How is this done?

A) Install it in a windblows box first, disable SSC using the pc utility in the HDD box, then install in your mac

B) HC meaning >>250GB..... IIRC
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2006, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by frankmcma
SSC is supported on some Seagate 250, 300, 400, and 500GB drives; it is enabled by default on very few of them.

X-Ray
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2006, 12:58 PM

[QUOTE=frankmcma]I see a lot of hard drives in Circuit City / Best Buy that are SATA (I have a G5 dual core) and wondered if these would work in a Mac.

I have a Western Digital sata 300 gig drive installed in my G5 tower as the "a" drive, no problems including large file transfers. If you want to investigate drive compatability, go on over http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ and check their drive database.

frankmcma  (op)
Mar 12, 2006, 08:01 PM

Tonight I took a chance and got the PC Western Digital 320GB SATA drive at Best Buy (blue and black box) its on sale this week for $119 (good price). Installed with no problems at all. Mac G5 did not recognize it on boot up (to be expected, probably formatted for NTFS) after a quick format, came out to 297GB. Put the Kill Bill helmut icon on the drive and was good to go...

FM

Forum Links
Forum Rules