Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > root canal?

root canal?
memento
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 09:27 AM

Last week I got a temporary cap on my tooth because it cracked. Now I'm having pain. Some mild general pain but also I can't chew on anything harder than scrambled eggs. I suspect I will need a root canal. Since I've never had any major dental work done, what's involved with a root canal? I read up about it, but a couple people I've talked to have said that it involved 3 or 4 trips to the dentist. I figure that it's best to get it done before my permanent cap, but I'm wondering what others think who have had more dental work than I have.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2006, 09:59 AM

I had one done - didn't feel a thing, but I had a very good dentist at the time.

He: "Heh, want to see the nerve? It looks like a pink worm."
Me:" Mpfff, mpffff." <---Mouth full of cotton wool. Translation: "No, that's ok. I can live without seeing my, now ex, nerves."

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2006, 10:14 AM

Much like the Panama Canal, they will dig huge trenches in your mouth to remove the root. Many may die and get malaria during this process, but in the end, the USA will want to own it.

No, seriously, it shouldn't be a big deal.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Nicko
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2006, 10:26 AM

OMG from what I have read/heard about root canals if you get to the point where you need one, you will know. The pain will be great. I had a painful tooth and was freaked that I needed a root canal, but it turned out that the nerve was just exposed and it was sensitive, but nothing major. So, you probably don't need a root canal, just a filling.

I need a bunch of caps as apparently I grind my teeth in my sleep. Go figure.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2006, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Much like the Panama Canal, they will dig huge trenches in your mouth to remove the root. Many may die and get malaria during this process, but in the end, the USA will want to own it.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2006, 10:50 AM

From my little Dental Plan guide:

"Teeth can have 1,2,3, or 4 canals. Root canal is like taking the lead out of a pencil and replacing it with a medicated filling. IT IS NOT REMOVING THE ROOT."

I don't know what good a medicated-filled Pencil is going to do for your teeth, but that's apparently what it is. Anyway, a Root Canal does not remove the root, it replaces the soft tissue inside the root with something that's not infected.

You can always regrow the tooth after it's taken care of...
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 6, 2006, 10:53 AM

Do not self-diagnose. It could be that the tooth is salvageable. Your dentist should see it promptly, though, because if you delay too long, a damaged tooth can become unsalvageable. A root canal is usually more expensive than fixing the tooth before a root canal is necessary.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

chrisford
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2006, 11:00 AM

I've had two root canal procedures and both have been a walk in the park; the description of what is done (drilling thro' the tooth to expose the nerve, removal of the nerve end and filling the hole with packing) makes it sound like an ordeal, however.

To be honest, the procedure was no worse than a filling and - if you're in enough discomfort to need the job doing - the pleasure of being able to eat, chew and drink hot or cold drinks more than makes up for the time spent in the chair.

I'd agree with others here tho' - get your tooth checked out as soon as possible. Root canal work might not be painful but it's certainly expensive!

forkies
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 11:07 AM

are you british? you must be british.

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

macroy
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 12:06 PM

hm... I thought I had one before. BUt I don't think I had any part of my nerves taken out. I just had abscess in there that was pushin on the nerve. I will say however, if are in the need of one - you would definitely WANT one. I was in so much pain.....

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 12:48 PM

That british thread is what got me thinking to ask here.

I'm DEFINITELY not self-diagnosing. I was already at the dentist lasts week to get a crown and already have an appointment scheduled for first thing tomorrow morning.

Also from talking to people, it's not always painful when you need to get one done. It may be that I'm catching it sooner because I'm already in the process of getting my cracked tooth crowned.

My dentist is very good, but I'm looking to get informed before I go. I don't like it when I don't understand the process that he may perform.

But I think the biggest difference in opinions that I get from people is that "old timers" are more inclined to grimace when I even mention root canal but people who have had more recent work done talk like Eriamjh - no big deal. I can only assume that we've made great progress in dentistry over the past 15 years.

What is the process? They remove the nerve, then put in a soft filling, put my temporary cap back on, wait a week or 2, remove the soft filling and put in the real stuff and then put my permanent cap on?
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Not to scare anyone, but I had a root canal for a molar that had cracked. The dentist was convinced that all three root tips were dead. Two were dead. The third was quite live and the Novocaine hadn't done its magic. It was like the dentist scene in the French Connection. Blood, screams, sweat, tears. Rent the video. It will prepare you.

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 01:22 PM

There are always horror stories (and I'm sorry to hear that you had such a problem), but they are fortunately not common. Incidents like that don't really scare me because I know that, in this case, it's clear that my nerves are not dead.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 02:03 PM

If your TOOTH is cracked down thru the root, it'll need to be extracted. The BEST part of the root canal is the pain deadening shots at the start!! They will drill down and remove the nerves and replace them with rubber whiskers and a filling material. then you get a crown over top and it's back to eating peanut brittle! molars should get titanium crowns with the enamel surface annealed on.

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 02:37 PM

I didn't think of that, but we were looking at x-rays and he didn't make any mention of the crack running down the root.

real
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2006, 02:58 PM

The worse thing about a root canal is how long it takes. The pain can be managed but just sitting there I think is the worsed.

real
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

X-Ray
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2006, 03:43 PM

Yep, the worse thing about a root canal is how long it takes. Other than that it's no big deal and certainly beats living with pain no matter how mild.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2006, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
I had one done - didn't feel a thing, but I had a very good dentist at the time.

He: "Heh, want to see the nerve? It looks like a pink worm."
Me:" Mpfff, mpffff." <---Mouth full of cotton wool. Translation: "No, that's ok. I can live without seeing my, now ex, nerves."
My dentist did that to me also. Except he marveled in the fact that it was supposedly the longest root he'd ever seen (1.75 inches) and wriggled it in front of my face. To tell you the truth, I think that was actually part of my brain he yanked out.

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 05:22 PM

How long does it take on a molar?

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by memento View Post
How long does it take on a molar?
The whole process takes about three days. The operation is probably 12 to 18 hours, so it is important to fast for the previous 24 hours, then do the whole laxative thing to clean your bowels. You won't be able to pee or poop for the entire operation. It takes the medicine about 6 hours to kick in before the operation begins. Recovery takes a full two days afterwards. Be sure to give two pints of blood, you'll need it.

At least that is how I remember my root canal.

(Kidding!)

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2006, 11:50 AM

Got back from the dentist. He ground the temporary cap down so that my upper teeth won't even touch it and told me to LEAVE IT ALONE. I've been poking, pushing, and testing it for a week and he said that I need to stop doing that to let it all settle out. Also, if I grind or clench my teeth at night, that could be the problem. So by saturday or sunday it should feel better again. If not, on monday he wants to set me up for a root canal.

I appreciate his caution in making the right decision before moving to the root canal. With any luck, this will take care of it but if I need to go deeper, then so be it.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2006, 12:18 PM

If not, on monday he wants to set me up for a root canal.
Start giving blood now!

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2006, 04:45 PM

A root canal is nothing major. I didn't experience any more pain than if I had just received a filling. And it only takes about 1 1/2-2 hrs, if it goes smoothly of course.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2006, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
...if it goes smoothly of course.
There ya go. "If it goes smoothly..."
Start by giving blood.
By Monday you should have a gallon. You'll need it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2006, 05:13 PM

Rose Neath

Just in case...

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2006, 05:56 PM

Excellent Jawbone!
Excellent!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2006, 06:54 PM

Yeah, it's about as much fun as it sounds. People can have painless root canals, but they are the exceptions, not the rule unfortunately.

Johnnie is your friend:

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2006, 07:58 PM

done. 1 hour 15 minutes for my molar with 3 roots. painless, except for the shot. and a hot receptionist to talk to after it was done.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2006, 08:10 PM

I bet you made a great impression on her! Slobbering, drooling, half-lit on Percocet!

Seriously, glad you survived, mine was a nightmare.

memento  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2006, 08:21 AM

I had a line all prepared in case I actually did drool!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 08:44 AM

I had a line all prepared in case I actually did drool!
Well, since you obviously didn't get to use it, will you share it with us?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2006, 12:03 PM

Probably something about drooling because of her.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2006, 05:38 PM

i had a root canal a few years ago - the dentist said the tooth had the longest root she had ever seen - it failed the first time and since then has been fine - i'm sure i will have problems with it in the future - root canals arent too bad - kind of sucks when the jam that needle in and out of your root though

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Forum Links
Forum Rules