Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Dual Monitors...Apple or Dell

Dual Monitors...Apple or Dell
macs_rule
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2007, 04:22 AM

Hey Guys,

I normally do post-production work and I was just wondering why would it make sense to buy 2 Apple HD Displays as oppose to 2 Dell Monitors....obviously Apple monitors would cost me quite a bit where I can save a good 400 dollors buying 2 dells?...Whats so special with Apple Displays besides the fact that they look sleak?....Also, if I were to hook up 2 identical monitors with my
x1900 512mb card, would there be a difference in the color scheme of the monitors?....any help would really be appreciated.

croops
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2007, 06:56 AM

Post-production in what exactly?

macs_rule  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2007, 07:10 AM

Post production in Final Cut Pro 5.1...more specifically in SD; however will be planning to do HDV but nowhere in the near future

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 10, 2007, 09:59 AM

Since neither Dell nor Apple manufacture their own panels, the issue isn't the hardware, but the case styling. For a $400 savings, I can put up with Dell's bland but functional styling. Match the display specs between the two brands and you may wind up actually comparing displays with identical internals anyway. Is shiny, pretty plastic worth a whole lot of money when you're building a workhorse workstation?

My 2ยข...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

OreoCookie
Jul 10, 2007, 01:38 PM

I'd say neither: get Samsung displays: the new series has a very nice design, the display quality is excellent and the prices are good.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

reRESERVEDFX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2007, 01:45 PM

If you're not into design aspect, get a Dell. ACD is basically a Dell packed into aluminum enclosure.
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4Ghz/2GB RAM/GE FORCE 8600M GT/200GB HDD
Apple Cinema Display 23"
New Mac Pro coming this summer....

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2007, 04:41 PM

There's also more features with Dell monitors. Not only the Dell 24 inch has a DVI input, it also has a VGA input, it has video inputs (S-Video, Composite, Component), a memory card reader (no more pluging the digital camera) and like Apple's dysplay it can serve as a USB hub.
The video inputs can be use in picture in picture mode and the monitor can rotate and be used vertically (if your video card support this feature). So all in all, the Dell monitor is a good deal even if Apple's dysplays look nicer.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2007, 05:35 PM

Although the difference will likely be very small, if any, it is possible to have different "color schemes" as you say on two "identical" monitors. Of course you always can (and should) calibrate them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules