Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anybody with knowledge about scooters/motorcycle

Anybody with knowledge about scooters/motorcycle (Page 2)
centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 5, 2007, 07:55 PM

I don't like new scooters. I think they're boring.

Old ones are cool though, hence why I'd like to find a decent drivetrain for my tatran.

I already have a car. 3 actually. I just want a bike for when I only have to go short distances, solo. It'd save on gas, and be fun.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 5, 2007, 11:41 PM

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2007, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post

Hmm, $1000 for the bike... I wonder how much it would cost me to fly there to pick it up.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 6, 2007, 01:23 AM

Yeah, with new tires too. Good deal. I can't talk the missus into it without getting rid of a car though. Or my half finished scoot, which I don't want to do, especially since it isn't worth anything, and it's not taking up any space (here).

Also, I'm rather confused. Although bikes get a much higher MPG than an automobile, they also lack catalytic convertors, thus dump more emissions into the air....so... it's like..... what's better? More MPG? Or fewer emissions?

On another level, would more MPG = fewer emissions, since less fuel would have to be shipped to america and refined and all that emits pollution?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2007, 10:26 AM

Yeah, with new tires too. Good deal. I can't talk the missus into it without getting rid of a car though. Or my half finished scoot, which I don't want to do, especially since it isn't worth anything, and it's not taking up any space (here).

Also, I'm rather confused. Although bikes get a much higher MPG than an automobile, they also lack catalytic convertors, thus dump more emissions into the air....so... it's like..... what's better? More MPG? Or fewer emissions?

On another level, would more MPG = fewer emissions, since less fuel would have to be shipped to america and refined and all that emits pollution?
Hmm, that's a good question.

A quick google search found me this article: Motorcycle Emissions - Bikes Go Greener

Seems that bikes have lower emissions.

Also you're probably right that just being smaller, using fewer raw materials, and using less fuel means that motorcycles cause fewer emissions throughout their entire lifespan.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 6, 2007, 10:37 AM

Rob,

Bajajusa is an indian mfr that uses the same basic frame and engine layout as the old Piaggio Vespa, but instead of the two stroke smoker, they re-engineered it as a four-stroke.

You have access to the machine shop, you've said you can make motor mounts.

Why couldn't you make a split case block, crank, etc., and build something on your own, and 4-stroke it that way? Re-use stock parts where possible (connecting rod, piston, cylinder, valves, springs, rockers, bearings) and come up with something truly unique, but you know where the stock parts came from, and can buy them anytime you please?

I know you like a challenge.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2007, 10:43 AM

Here's a somewhat more readable article comparing motorcycles to other vehicles: Cars and Trucks and Greenies That Go

And here's a study by the UK government on the matter: DfT Research: Motorcycle Emission Factors and Particulate Measurement

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 6, 2007, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
Rob,

Bajajusa is an indian mfr that uses the same basic frame and engine layout as the old Piaggio Vespa, but instead of the two stroke smoker, they re-engineered it as a four-stroke.

You have access to the machine shop, you've said you can make motor mounts.

Why couldn't you make a split case block, crank, etc., and build something on your own, and 4-stroke it that way? Re-use stock parts where possible (connecting rod, piston, cylinder, valves, springs, rockers, bearings) and come up with something truly unique, but you know where the stock parts came from, and can buy them anytime you please?

I know you like a challenge.
Heh. Yeah, there's a huge difference between milling some blocks of aluminum into a decent motor mount with rubber isolators versus milling a crankcase. There's a reason most of that stuff is cast, it has pretty complex shapes. It'd be possible if the mill we had was a cadcam system, but it's just a hand operated mill, so that'd be near impossible. You don't know if that company sells just an engine/transmission though do you?

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2007, 09:20 PM

but what about another cheap bike?

I bet dollars to cents you can find a perfecllyt viable bike form the mid early 70s that will get 50+ MPG and cost under a grand. And for the savings you could then dump into improving the emissions. Mean while you will get the respect of having a bike other then a peeter poofta.

As for the cat, the only reason they don't put them on is space and cost, there is no room and adding another 300 bucks onto the tag is usually a deal breaker for someone buying a bike. As for the emissions, its your call, but you honestly think, for how much you use it, compared to your car, its going to make a dif?

guess its up to you, but seriously stop being that dude on the scooter, and get a real effin bike.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 6, 2007, 10:41 PM

Well, part of it is the WAF (wife acceptance factor). She thinks I don't need a bike because I have the scooter to finish.... which is partly true.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 7, 2007, 01:26 PM

Well, the bajajusa.com site does have a few meager resources to get to parts, so I imagine they'd sell an engine - but as I ebay, there are modern scooter engines available, some used, complete with rim and tire, and some unused and not quite that complete - I think you could pick up one of those and make up the swingarm and shock mount and be back on the road.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 7, 2007, 01:43 PM

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 7, 2007, 10:32 PM

Actually, I found this source today, I'm really pumped about it, check it out:

Wholesale Gas Scooter Performance Parts Electric Scooter Accessory Part Sales

Tons of 4 strokes! I'm going to measure the frame this weekend to see what fits. Hopefully I can find a way to make the transmission shift linkage work with this somehow.... we'll see what happens, but this is probably where I'm getting an engine. More power, more torque, fewer emissions, more mpg. YES!

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 11, 2007, 11:27 AM

Aw crap. All those engines don't include ignition/carbs/manifolds, so that's still kinda $$$. I have a friend who's selling a Kawasaki KZ 550, 1983 model.... I guess it's burnt orange, and pretty retro. That's a little big...but... I guess it is a decent starter bike, if a little on the big side. 56hp. Heh. Weeee! I'd be gentle with it though... I fear asphalt. Going to look at it today.

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Mar 11, 2007, 12:23 PM

Aw crap. All those engines don't include ignition/carbs/manifolds, so that's still kinda $$$. I have a friend who's selling a Kawasaki KZ 550, 1983 model.... I guess it's burnt orange, and pretty retro. That's a little big...but... I guess it is a decent starter bike, if a little on the big side. 56hp. Heh. Weeee! I'd be gentle with it though... I fear asphalt. Going to look at it today.
I can never decide if having an underpowered bike is more, or less dangerous than having an overpowered bike. As long as you stay off the freeway, I actually think the bigger bike might be safer -- it can help you get out of the way of the crazy drivers who never seem to see a motorcycle, and you can keep up with traffic better even on low-speed roads. With my 50cc scooter, I often feel like my ability to quickly get away is hampered (although it's certainly quick on the turns.)

Just resist the temptation to take her out on the interstate...

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 11, 2007, 12:48 PM

You could make a manifold pretty easily.

Instead of carbing it, fuel inject.

MegaSquirt - Electronic Fuel Injection Computer by Bowling & Grippo * * ïż½2005

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 11, 2007, 12:58 PM

Pretty sure you need a PC with a serial cable for all that, along with mad nerd knowledge, which I'm lacking.

EFI would be sweet though.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 11, 2007, 01:08 PM

USB to serial adapter.

bootcamp on your iMac.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2007, 01:11 PM

just get the bigger bike, it would be much better on the longer trips.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 11, 2007, 01:11 PM

plaid: Yeah... we'll see. The thing might be too big for me anyway, since I'm not real huge. I'm not sure a 400 some lb bike is what I want. In reality, this is what I want:

ModScooters.com Vintage Scooters Featuring Vespa, Jawa, Lambretta and Royal Enfield

I think that borders on art.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2007, 01:22 PM

for an older bike, i would like one of these

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Mar 11, 2007, 02:26 PM

In reality, this is what I want:

ModScooters.com Vintage Scooters Featuring Vespa, Jawa, Lambretta and Royal Enfield

I think that borders on art.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 11, 2007, 04:18 PM

Royal Enfield bikes are still made in India, same as they ever were. You can buy them in the US.

What happened is that the Indian colony required that products be mfr'd there, on site. So they set up tooling and never stopped making them, even when the company in England failed.

EnfieldMotorcycles.com - The Official U.S. Home of Royal Enfield Motorcycles.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2007, 06:21 PM

Wow, the Royal Enfields are a lot more affordable than I expected them to be...

Damn them and their tempting products.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2007, 07:58 PM

You have any friends with real bikes?

See if you can take one out in an empty partking lot, shift through the gears, so you can get the feel for it. I don't think 600cc is to big of a first bike, but you might miss judge coming to a stop and dump it once or twice. Just with everything you need to respect it and have a competent head about you.Granted a 350 will be a bit lighter and easier to handle on the streets.

Hell if i had the cash i'd find one of these and buy it in a second

that or an old bonneville

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 11, 2007, 11:01 PM

Game, that's hot. Is it an old honda? Ideally I'd like a late 60s early 70s honda CB350 or something.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2007, 11:11 PM

el roberto. just sell one of your cars and you can get more ca$h for your bike

heh, see what i did there?

-a

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 11, 2007, 11:37 PM

Nah. SVX is in storage. It'll only increase in value, plus I can't sell it. The 89 accord is fun to drive, and great in town. The 92 accord is crappy in town, but comfy on the highway. I don't really need a bike... .... I would just like one.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 12, 2007, 11:38 PM

Lady Luck seems to like me.

I'm (hopefully) purchasing this tomorrow for about $150.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2007, 10:19 AM

$150? Nice!

What's the year and displacement on that? How much work does it need (I assume it needs some to be that cheap)? Around here I've been finding that I'm probably going to need to spend $1500 to $2000 if I want to get a bike that's not ridiculously small for me; on the bikes that people tend to use as starter bikes, my knees tend to stick up past the handlebars and obstruct my ability to maneuver.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2007, 10:42 AM

Game, that's hot. Is it an old honda? Ideally I'd like a late 60s early 70s honda CB350 or something.
its a CB 450 K0 ran from around 64-69ish.

compleate near perfect ones go for around 3K, its got plenty of nut for occasional highway use but def not something i would be wanting to do 75 for hours on end.

for a highway queen i would def look for a R90/6 with the 6 gallon ish tank.

As for that honda, tread lightly and do some reseach before you buy, looks like its missing its carbs and one thing with older hondas carbs is the diaphrams are very hard to find in decent shape, usually the gas turns to varnish and destroys them when they have sat for a long time.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 13, 2007, 10:46 AM

1974 CB200. It's only 200ccs, 19hp at 9k rpms with a maximum speed of like 70-80mph....but.... whatever, I don't plan on using a bike on the highway anyway, so it'd just be for scooting around town. As for work... well, the guy said it runs and drives fine, but the tires are original, so it'll need a new set of shoes, and it's missing the rear turn signals. I'm sure the carb is probably a little less than stellar also, and all the chrome is pitted, but whatever.... I'll just spray everything that's slightly pitted/rusty a high temperature flat black (grill paint). The guy needs to email me back about it, he sent me these pics so I'm pretty pumped.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2007, 11:12 AM

if it runs then def snag it for that price, and i think you will be suprised at how quick it actually is, its a relativly light bike with tight gearing and is perfect around town and cruising at 50.

I have the original tires on my 350 and even though there is small dry cracks they were fine all last season but I am looking into putting on a new pair when some cash comes my way in the next few months.

Forum Links
Forum Rules