Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > BOINC Advanced GUI problem?

BOINC Advanced GUI problem?
Drash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2005, 11:33 AM

I'm using v. 4.37 of the above for SETI, I've got LittleSnitch set to allow BOINC port 80 out on any IP but all I'm getting in the messages section of the Manager is this EVERY SECOND, damn the copy selected messages doesn't work either I'll type one line in, you'll get the drift

date and time then "May run out of work in 2.00 days; requesting more" , until I disable network access. So far it's filled a few megs of log file with this, although I don't see much of a performance hit. Any ideas?

MacOS 10.4.1, LittleSnitch 1.2b3.

PS to use an optimised BOINC do I just swap it in inside the package for /Applications/BOINCManager? Which one should I use for my 1GHz eMac. I've got XCode 2 with gcc 4.0 and gcc 3.3.

Thanks.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Drash
MacOS 10.4.1, LittleSnitch 1.2b3.

PS to use an optimised BOINC do I just swap it in inside the package for /Applications/BOINCManager? Which one should I use for my 1GHz eMac. I've got XCode 2 with gcc 4.0 and gcc 3.3.

Thanks.
SETI posted this message: May 20, 2005
Outage Notices. This Sunday, May 22, there will be sporadic short outages of both our web site and data server as network infrastructure work is done here as SSL. These outages will occur between 16:00 and midnight UTC. On Monday, May 23, there will be a data server outage of up to 2 hours for a physical router move. This outage will begin at 16:00 UTC.

It may be that the outages started early.

I am not familiar with Little Snitch. If you have two days work however, it sounds as though it was able to download work initially. So I would suspect an outage on the SETI side. Check their forums. Their is a bug in the Mac GUI Manger that prevents copy and paste. It is developmental however. Apparently a newer version is near release.

To use an optimized client, you add it to the package under Resources. You will have to name it "boinc" to match the current client version. on the optimized clients beta page select the 10.4.x version of 4.27. Use the G4 Profiled version. Please be aware while this will improve your benchmarks and increase claimed credit, it will not actually improve SETI calculations. You will need an optimized SETI application for that, and JavaLizards site appears to be down. There is a site out of Europe that also hosts an Optimized SETI client but I don't know anything about them. Google on "optimized SETI application Macintosh", then you'll have to dig through the results.

Drash  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2005, 03:08 PM

Cheers Shaktai - I noticed the SETI outages notice, but this has been occuring for several days now (4+) - I can't see any pattern yet , other than when my last work unit HAS actually finished it does go and get some more work, but up until then I get the best part of 2 days X 24 hours X 60 mins x 60 secs of messages saying "May run out of work in 2.00 days; requesting more". That's actually quite a lot of lines in the log file - it's got to be wasting some resources hasn't it?

I'll try the version you mention - was the gcc 3.5 version a developer only release?. I try to keep up to date, but I basically went from gcc 3.3 with 10.3.x straight up to 4.0 with 10.4.

Ash

Shaktai
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 06:38 PM

Cheers Shaktai - I noticed the SETI outages notice, but this has been occuring for several days now (4+) - I can't see any pattern yet , other than when my last work unit HAS actually finished it does go and get some more work, but up until then I get the best part of 2 days X 24 hours X 60 mins x 60 secs of messages saying "May run out of work in 2.00 days; requesting more". That's actually quite a lot of lines in the log file - it's got to be wasting some resources hasn't it?

Ash
Hmm That is a bit strange. Are you on broadband or dial-up? The log files don't really take much resources. Less then 1%. It'll eat up a little bit of drive space until the old lines start expiring, but even that is not normally significant.

The version I mentioned should work better with the GUI, and might even solve the problem. That is what I use and haven't had any issues. Benchmarks will be a little better too.

Let me know how it goes.

Drash  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2005, 08:31 PM

OK, had time to let things settle in a bit, so here's a progress report.

Shaktai, I'm on broadband, so I'm connected all the time.
Benchmarks have improved using the replacement profiled G4 client (boinc_4-1.27_ppcG4-gcc3.5pro), now 735 and 2201 (were 400+ and 1700ish if memory serves me, anyhow, certainly quite a bit less) so now BOINCManager thinks it'll take 10:33 hours instead of 16+ hours per unit.

The constantly repeating message has gone, so far. I think there was something amiss, because when I quit BOINCManager from the dock seti kept running - it didn't used to to do that, and doesn't do that now since I've re-intalled BOINCManager, replaced their boinc inside it and also deleted the /Library/Application Support/BOINC Data folder, for a completely fresh start.

I think it's probably a better idea when swapping over from the old CLI to the Advanced GUI client to not swap all the boinc prefs/log/etc files over into their new location at /Library/Application Support/BOINC Data, rather do the swapover when you've got all your units finished and reported, and then start afresh letting it re-create and download what it needs.

A couple of questions - will we see any newer optimised clients (boinc and SETI) using the newer gcc4.0, which I assume will produce quicker clients than 3.3 or 3.5?

The screensaver just comes up with a message saying boinc isn't executing any apps with graphics - is that right? I've got a crappy ATI 7500 in the eMac, perhaps it's not supported. No biggy, I'm using the RSS saver at the moment (until the shine wears off and I go back to good old Flurry!)

Regards,
Ash.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 09:22 PM

A couple of questions - will we see any newer optimised clients (boinc and SETI) using the newer gcc4.0, which I assume will produce quicker clients than 3.3 or 3.5?

The screensaver just comes up with a message saying boinc isn't executing any apps with graphics - is that right? I've got a crappy ATI 7500 in the eMac, perhaps it's not supported. No biggy, I'm using the RSS saver at the moment (until the shine wears off and I go back to good old Flurry!)

Regards,
Ash.
I am sure we will eventually see newer optimized clients and apps. BOINC is changing so rapidly though that it is not practical to try and optimize every version. -- Graphics aren't yet supported for Macintosh on many projects, but the new client lays the groundwork to make them possible. Eventually there will be a screensaver, that works similar to the old SETI screensaver. Einstein already supports Mac graphics and they will run on my iBook 600 with a tiny ATI rage graphics and 16mb of Video Ram.

Forum Links
Forum Rules