Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Fried B/S Cache?

Fried B/S Cache?
Drash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2001, 11:31 PM

I have a strawberry 266 with 160 MB (128 + 32 l/p) MacOS8.6. It has started crashing/bombing randomly on virtually any app especially the finder (even while idle in background) with type 1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 41 errors, or totally bombing with messages along the lines "...sorry a system error occurred...restart..bus error...". Total system lockups just by moving the mouse pointer. Takes 10+ goes to boot, without bombing, enough for me to use Powerlogix G3/G4 Cache Profiler to switch off the cache, then it seems stable (the profiler says it can disable the cache through a boot, but doesn't actually, as reported by Gauge Pro, hence the number of tries needed).

I have tried the following which DO NOT solve the problem:
removed peripherals and hub
boot with all extensions off
boot from CD
deleted all the prefs
clean install of system
removed, cleaned and re-seated RAM and CPU cards
booted with all permutations of RAM installed

Is this fairly conclusive proof the CPU card is toast? If I do a swap for another working card will my problems be solved?

Couldn't have happened at a worst time when I really need email and am totally strapped for cash

TIA for any worthwhile comments

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2001, 04:16 AM

I think your findings are rather conclusive.

It might be something with the PRAM. Then again, you could try the CUDA switch. I recommend you do those before going out and buying a new CPU card, though a fried component somewhere along the internals might be the prognosis.

Forum Links
Forum Rules