Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Does the Albook support OS9?

Does the Albook support OS9?
RGray02
Nov 8, 2003, 02:26 PM

Since Im having problems running warcraft in OSX. I want to try it on OS9. But I didnt get OS9 pre-installed, nor did it come with an OS9 disc.

Can you install OS9 on the ALbook?
http://www.****microsoft.com - "Free your mind, and your OS will follow"

cobra7869
Nov 8, 2003, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by RGray02:
Since Im having problems running warcraft in OSX. I want to try it on OS9. But I didnt get OS9 pre-installed, nor did it come with an OS9 disc.

Can you install OS9 on the ALbook?
Your ALbook can run "classic", which should already be installed. You cannot boot into OS9 though.

Try to start classic and then see if you can't install the OS9 version of your game.
PowerBook G4 (12-inch): (Rev A) Current Mac
Original iPod, 15GB 3rd Gen, Two iPod Minis (Silver and Pink(for the wife))

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2003, 03:52 PM

if you don't have classic installed, you can run the software restore DVD that came with and install classic support, but as cobra pointed out, you can't boot into classic, only run it in OS X.

Tomster
Senior User
Nov 8, 2003, 07:51 PM

OK, this is in the realm of rumor, but I recalled reading about a specific boot rom on a Apple Technician utilities disk that can boot from OS 9 in newer machines. Seems to make sense as creating a boot disk under 9 was pretty easy, not to mention there would be a ton of room for the actual utilities. In X, well making a boot cd is not so simple or speedy.

Of course, if this ROM really existed and was not just a rumor, using it would still be illegal as it was not for consumer use.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to boot from 9 in a new machine. One would lose many of the features of your new Powerbook, i.e., keyboard illumination, power conservation, ect.

As for running WC III, are you running Panther, and if so, what type of install did you do? There could be some old cruft that could be causing you some problems. Try checking in the games forums here or on the MacGamer boards. There should be some gurus out there that can help.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

mpbritt
Nov 9, 2003, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by RGray02:
But I didnt get OS9 pre-installed, nor did it come with an OS9 disc.
Yes, OS 9 did come installed on your PowerBook. In the root of your hard drive there is a folder called "System Folder." This is OS 9. But you cannot boot your Powerbook into Classic Mac OS. You can only run OS 9 in Classic.

Go into System Preferences->Classic. Choose the OS 9 folder you want to use (there will only be one choice) and click Start to launch Classic. OS 9 will book and you can then use WarCraft in Classic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules