Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X Server vs. Workstation

OS X Server vs. Workstation
csherrera
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2003, 01:22 AM

I need some opinions. I have a 500 Mhz. G4 Desktop (AGP - but not the MDD). Anyway, I tend to use it rarely as my main machine is now a G4 Ti PowerBook which suits me just fine. Thus the desktop is just sitting there, occasionally serving the odd file via http.

The question is, I've been thinking about getting more serious about hosting my own domain. I have fixed IP addresses and a reasonably fast ISP link with all the right permissions (permission to run a server, etc.), and I want to know should I upgrade the desktop to the Server version of OS X?

I've done DNS, Apache and FTP management on Linux in past lives so I'm not unaware of how to get this stuff running - but on the whole, I dislike the command line and hate writing scripts. I'd much prefer a nice GUI on top of everything that will speak to me when something goes wrong, etc.

However, since this whole project would just be a lark (e.g. no expected revenue) and since the desktop still plays games pretty well (20" screen and decent video board) I'm not sure I want to cough up the $500 if the ease-of-use factor doesn't overwhelmingly overcome the lack of game support for the new OS.

I guess the question is, does Server really kick ass over just running similar (Apache, BIND, FTPD) services on MacOS X workstation. Is there some happy medium? A GUI package for enabling services on workstation (without having to bother with the command line all the time)? The cheapest "non-geek" solution is what I seek.

Opinions sought.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2003, 01:54 AM

I run several domains on an OSX 10.2.8 box (B&W G3). I don't use the SERVER version and have no issues. I'm running apache for web, bind for DNS, and EIMS X for mail (I have my reasons).

It's a flawless setup and has worked for me.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

mpbritt
Dec 23, 2003, 12:51 PM

I ran a server just fine using the client version of OS X. You might want to looking into installing Webmin to help you with administration.

OpenStep
Senior User
Dec 23, 2003, 06:16 PM

Client version will work just fine ffor a webserver. If you are going to be doing directory access then I'd recommend Mac OS X Server.

jasong
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2003, 09:08 AM

Second on getting Webmin and running it on Client. After you have Webmin running, get Virtualmin, makes setting up domains, DNS, Mail, and FTP dead easy.

-- Jason

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2003, 09:14 AM

I'd go with the client version too. I've got Panther server here but seems overkill for running the web services that I use, the GUI tools are nice though in OS X server.

larkost
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2003, 12:09 PM

I too admin an X Server box, and would not recommend spending the money for your purposes. I love the Server admin tools, but they are geared to running a workgroup, not towards what you are looking for.

If you had 50 users that needed to fileshare on the box, or NetBoot, etc... then Server is a truly great product. But you are looking for a we server, and in that space Server offers little advantage.

Forum Links
Forum Rules