Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Applecare For Powerbook

View Poll Results: Did you purchase Applecare for your Powerbook?
Poll Options:
Yes, and I'm glad I did 40 votes (62.50%)
Yes, but I'm not sure it's worth it 10 votes (15.63%)
No, and I wish I had 2 votes (3.13%)
No, it's over-priced and not worth it 12 votes (18.75%)
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll
Applecare For Powerbook
S_Lanaway
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2004, 01:09 PM

I have an Apple PowerBook 17" 1.33 which I bought almost a year ago and will have to decide soon if i want to purchase the additional Applecare coverage for the next 2 years.

It's expensive though, about $700 Canadian. Any opinions one way or the other regarding whether or not it's worth it?

Cheers,

Scott
http://www.titancreative.com
http://www.scottlanaway.com

nate_02
Senior User
Jun 6, 2004, 02:12 PM

No and I plan to within the next three months. Especially for a PB or iBook, I think it is woth it.

I have had too many problems with my PB (1.25) to not have apple care.
-nate

mattcass
Jun 6, 2004, 02:14 PM

I have to figure this out too so post up people. I havent had a problem with my Powerbook yet, but who knows. $400 is a lot of cash to spend especially if nothing happens to the computer.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2004, 02:22 PM

I have a 15 month old 1 ghz TiBook. It's worked brilliantly for me, and still looks as good as new. No need for the AC, tho' I bought it just before the first year ended. Guy who sold it to me on the phone was super friendly, though.

But since I want to get at the very least a couple more years out of my pb, I figured it was a good investment - should my display die, or something.

Adopt-A-Yankee

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2004, 04:27 PM

blatant self promotion:

I happen to be selling an un-registered AppleCare Protection Plan for the PowerBook. That thread is in the classifieds section. And I'm selling it for a lot less than $400.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2004, 02:34 AM

I bought it and haven't regretted it. I have gotten first class service. There are a lot of things that can go wrong. I've probably had the power adapters fray/spark on my unit 4 or 5 times. Replaced very quickly each time.

I also recently sent my PB in for service to correct a couple slight mechanical issues and one growing one, and the service was A+++. They replaced everything they were supposed to and some things that they could have gotten away not replacing. In many respects, I got what feels like a new unit to me.

Frankly, I had planned to shift to PC laptops on my next purchase. I already use PC desktops for my everyday work. Anyone who tells you that Macs are as fast as PCs in terms of day-to-day operations and the user interface is fooling themselves. But given the level of customer service I've received lately, I'll accept the performance hit and make my next laptop a PowerBook.

Also, if you shop around, you can get AppleCare for a PowerBook for $275 or less. I bought mine back in December for $264 if memory serves...so don't assume that you're stuck paying retail price.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2004, 04:56 AM

I bought it, Apple would have changed the dvd drive and the screen of my previous Pismo PowerBook if I would have got it also for the Pismo years ago, just do the maths. So I feel OK having it for my 17" PB.

McFarmer
Jun 7, 2004, 06:40 AM

Do get AppleCare with PowerBooks!

I know it's expensive, but it's worth it, especially if you intend to keep your 'Book more than 1 year.

Two stories from my end:

My WallStreet PowerBook developed a weak hinge after about 2 years of usage. I carried it around a lot and hence opened/closed the screen many times. Eventually the left hinge gave in and broke.
From that day on the screen would no longer hold upright on its own since the right hinge was too weak to hold the screen's full weight. I always needed to prop it up against something - a major nuisance.
Cost for replacement hinge: ca. $800 (excluding labor!) since it only comes as part of a full screen replacement. If I would have had AppleCare the hinge would have been covered...

Needless to say with my next PowerBook I did get AppleCare. And it was worth it already:
When it arrived it had a broken '8' key (it just fell off, bad keyboard assembly). Went to an Apple repair center to have it repaired on warranty. To which the answer was: "Yeah, no problem, leave it here, we'll send it in to Apple, you'll have it back in about 2-3 weeks." Yikes! 2-3 weeks?!? So I said "But I have AppleCare.". To which, much to my surprise, the answer was: "Oh, that's something else then! You know what, we'll order the replacement keyboard in, give you a call once it's here and then we can swap it while you wait." And that's what happend.

It's sad to say, but with 'ordinary' warranty you are most definitely a second class Apple citizen...

Since most PowerBook parts are very expensive, AppleCare really gives you peace of mind.
And if you carry it around a lot (moving it, shaking it) chances are that any looming mechanical issue will show up eventually (unlike with stationary desktop systems).
And if you ever intend to travel to other countries and bring your 'Book along it's also good to know that AppleCare covers any repairs worldwide.

In my book, AppleCare for PowerBooks is a no-brainer.

bbales
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2004, 11:22 AM

I agree with the above. Buy it -- it's worth it. At month 14, my 12-in PB developed a spot (a small one, but a dark spot nonetheless) in the lower left corner of the screen. Took it to an Apple Store, as we were going to this particular mall anyway -- and the PB stayed. Guy took it right over, said it needed a new screen, looked up all my info and bye bye powerbook. Apple took it about 11 a.m. on a Tuesday and it was delivered back into my waiting hands about 8 a.m. that Friday. And I KNOW the repair would have been way more than the cost of the coverage.

As an aside -- you could ask someone with education credentials to order it through the apple store for you. It's a good $100 less that way. And you put in the number that's provided.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2004, 11:33 AM

NEVER a laptop without extended warranty.

Desktops, okay.

But laptops: No question.

AppleCare bought.

(Two months out of regular warranty now, and just brought it in for repair because the Superdrive wouldn't eject a CD...)

-s*

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2004, 11:36 AM

Go ahead and get it, your doing yourself and your PB a favor. Make sure you shop around though, the prices you guys mention above are pretty high, heck even people here in the marketplace have it up for much much less. Good luck to ya.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2004, 11:41 AM

It's sheer lunacy not to get Applecare on a Powerbook. Lunacy I tell you!!

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2004, 01:02 PM

I never buy applecare for my laptops. But that's because I sell them before I've had them for a year.

I suggest you sell yours and buy the current revision. Put that $700 towards an upgrade instead of a warranty. That's what I do (and I'm Canadian too)

Rule to live by
Architecture:Design | 17" alPB | 23" cinema display etc...

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2004, 01:45 PM

I just purchased mine the other day. I don't plan on selling or buying another powerbook anytime soon (maybe a G5 powerbook whenever they come out, but even then I won't buy the 1st revision, so we are looking at probably 1.5 - 2 years).

The way I see it, I plan on keeping my powerbook for awhile and I would have to be an idiot to have spent ~ $2,000 on the powerbook but then not be willing to spent ~ $200 to protect it for another 2 years (EDU discount on both).

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2004, 06:02 PM

i DIDN'T get applecare with my powerbook, and, late in it's second year, the logic board burned out. $400plus, a week round-trip to apple & back.

i WILL get applecare on my next powerbook, absolute.
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

vinster
Senior User
Jun 7, 2004, 08:54 PM

I'm in the minority here, but I think Applecare's a rip off.

I'm very careful with my computers and never call Apple customer support, so I'll take my chances. If I have problems after the warranty expires I'll either pay up and have Apple fix it or do it myself with parts off eBay.

Besides, you can get an insurance policy for your PowerBook that will cover it for all eventualities, not just warranty-related repairs.

The only thing I suppose Applecare's good for is if you're constantly on the phone to customer support.

mpbritt
Jun 8, 2004, 12:13 PM

For me having the peace of mind knowing that if something goes wrong with my Mac the AppleCare is well worth it. I bought AppleCare when I bought my first portable: iBook Special Edition. At about 18 months the HD developed a horrid whine. I called Apple, they told me to send it in. So I backed up my data, sent back the postage paid box they sent and had my iBook back in less than 36 hours. Great service.

Just last month I bought a 1.5 Ghz 15" PB and got AppleCare for it. Not because I think anything will go wrong, but for the peace of mind. Plus my Airport Extreme base station is also covered. And when that AppleCare is getting to the end I'll buy another.

So my long-winded answer is: yes, I think AppleCare is worth it. And for Towers as well, not just Powerbooks. I also purchased AppleCare for my 15GB iPod. Remember, when you buy AppleCare for a Tower the monitor, keyboard, etc are all covered.

[Edited to correct a typo]

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2004, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by vinster:
Besides, you can get an insurance policy for your PowerBook that will cover it for all eventualities, not just warranty-related repairs.
That is a good point, I have AppleCare but I would like to have an insurance to cover the PB versus damage, loss, robbery, but I can not find something like that here, Spain.

Any well known insurance company that does offer something like that?

milhaus
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2004, 10:42 PM

I have one beef with AppleCare. Price for Powerbook AppleCare is uniform, whether you spend $1599 on a 12", or spend $4000+ on a tricked out 17". Also, spend $1500 on a 14" iBook, pay far less.

Compared to PC laptop manufacturer's extended warranties, AppleCare is a ripoff (2-3x the price). It's not the same way with hardware.
|Desktop:|Abit NFS7 Athlon 3200+, 1GIG RAM, DVD-R (A05) CDRW (52x), 1X200GIG, 1X160GIG, 2X120GIG, ATI Radeon 9800Pro, Samsung 172x Win XP Pro SP2
|Laptop:| Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz AE BT 768MB 10.3
|Laptop 2:| Compaq 1050CA 1.4ghz Centrino 512MB Win XP Home

vinster
Senior User
Jun 11, 2004, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by angelmb:
That is a good point, I have AppleCare but I would like to have an insurance to cover the PB versus damage, loss, robbery, but I can not find something like that here, Spain.

Any well known insurance company that does offer something like that?
You might want to try your household/contents insurance provider to see if they'll cover you. I have contents insurance through a company called Direct Line here in the UK which covers everything including accidental damage and theft in and away from the home.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2004, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by vinster:
You might want to try your household/contents insurance provider to see if they'll cover you. I have contents insurance through a company called Direct Line here in the UK which covers everything including accidental damage and theft in and away from the home.
Thanks, my insurance company does not have special insurances aimed to laptops. They only cover it under the house insurance as a material good, but it is not enough to cover even one half the 17" PB value.

vinster
Senior User
Jun 11, 2004, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by angelmb:
Thanks, my insurance company does not have special insurances aimed to laptops. They only cover it under the house insurance as a material good, but it is not enough to cover even one half the 17" PB value.
That's unfortunate. You might want to call a few other home insurance companies to see what they offer and then change providers when you're up for renewal (maybe your current provider would make an exception if you tell them you're switching).

Forum Links
Forum Rules