Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Favorite high school teachers. . . getting back in touch?

Favorite high school teachers. . . getting back in touch?
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2012, 08:21 AM

My 10th Grade English teacher was one of my favorite high school teachers. I had come off a really bad English class with a total witch of a woman, wherein I got a B instead of the A I deserved. My 9th Grade teacher made me question myself as a writer. Then I got my 10th Grade teacher, and she was amazing. The first week she had us write an introductory paragraph for her to assess our writing abilities, and when she got to me she said, "you're an excellent writer." That was such an important initial affirmation for me because although I had heard similar praise from others in the past, it definitely bolstered my self-confidence in that area, especially after that previous traumatic English class. 10th Grade English was such a wonderful class in so many respects, and we really became friends in addition to me being a student. I was a TA for her in 12th Grade, which was nice. I'd like to let her know that I think she made a major contribution to many of my academic and professional successes, in addition to enriching my life more generally.

The thing is, she was an older teacher too, but she was incredibly different from the old hag I had in 9th Grade. My 10th Grade teacher actually retired the year I graduated. I was thinking about her this morning. I have thought about going back to my high school to see if I could find a way to get in contact with her, but I'm afraid they may tell me she passed away.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

andi*pandi
May 1, 2012, 08:43 AM

Facebook may be the best way, either by finding her directly or asking classmates. A few of my teachers are on facebook.

She sounds like a really excellent teacher. I had a favorite teacher like that, taught history. Somehow she worked watching the Graduate and the Big Chill into the history curriculum.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2012, 11:37 AM

I kept in touch with a lot of my teachers from high school because I became there personal IT guy lol
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2012, 02:20 PM

We actually have a Facebook page that is a Memorial for my High School. We keep track of both students and staff that have passed. It's amazing how many are still in touch and know the status of even those that may have retired years ago.
macforray

BadKosh
Professional Poster
May 1, 2012, 03:46 PM

You CAN NEVER GO HOME AGAIN! Not with old friends you've lost touch with, old girl friends or even absent relatives. School teachers are in that list too. Move on.

-Q-
May 1, 2012, 04:35 PM

Facebook is a good first step. If you had any sort of class officers (who typically take on the responsibility of organizing the reunions after graduation) they might also have an idea of how to get in touch. I was able to finally track down my physics teacher from high school thanks to the old class president.

I've gotten back in touch with a number of teachers from high school and the experiences have all been very positive. BadKosh is giving BadAdvice.

abby
May 2, 2012, 12:43 PM

that's a great idea. i'm sure she will be delighted to know how are you and your whereabouts.
you can find her on facebook and maybe you can also ask some of your classmates who you think has contact to her but to be sure it's best if you can go back to your school and ask them if they know how to contact her.
don't judge a book by its cover :p

BadKosh
Professional Poster
May 3, 2012, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
I've gotten back in touch with a number of teachers from high school and the experiences have all been very positive. BadKosh is giving BadAdvice.
Perhaps its a little different at your 35th High school reunion. If you've only been out a few years, maybe not so much.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2012, 05:35 PM

Most of my teachers would/t even remember me I'd wager. In fact I'm certain of it.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules