Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac Web server is tooo... slow

Mac Web server is tooo... slow
HenryLee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2007, 01:02 PM

Hi all,

Recently, I am working with MAC OS X server. I installed the apache web server into this server with version 1.3.33. The problem is that when user visit my website, the splash loads very slow (20s). Splash is a flash file that I created. I got the splash load a little bit faster by setting:

1. Connection timeout: 2 sec
2. Maximum connections: 100
3. Allow Persistent Connection: none

Is there any way for setting so that it loads the webpage faster? I got the T1 connection and hardwares are look fine for me. One more thing is that I HOST IT WITH A WINDOWS 2003 SERVER. IT RUNS VERY FAST (2s), HOWEVER I HATE MICROSOFT THAT IS WHY I GOT THIS OS X TIGER VERSION 10.4.10

Anyone have any advise, please help...

Henry

OreoCookie
Jun 26, 2007, 03:06 PM

Why didn't you use the built-in webserver instead of installing it again? Or are you referring to the built-in server?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

HenryLee  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2007, 04:12 PM

I will try the built in server. I am new to mac that is why I configured it with apache server before.

Thanks

OreoCookie
Jun 26, 2007, 04:41 PM

Perhaps you broke something when installing your server over the built-in server. Usually it is a good idea to check whether the service you need is included with OS X anyway. Then you save yourself the hassle. If you really work with OS X Server (not the client version), then all essential services are included and can/should be configured using Apple's tools. For the basic configuration, there is no need for using the command line.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 06:07 PM

And in case you didn't know, Mac OS X uses Apache for its built-in web server.
Vandelay Industries

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2007, 06:29 PM

HenryLee: look into Apache's mod_status module and how it can be used to get a profile of how efficiently Apache is operating. Apache's performance can be tweaked via its config, although I don't know if these configurations can be made through Apple's GUI or not. However, certainly for just serving a static page to yourself the defaults should work just fine.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2007, 08:01 PM

Loading a flash page should be all about bandwidth (on both ends), and nothing to do with the web server software or hardware.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2007, 08:06 PM

There are totally legit reasons to want to replace Apple's installed parts with your own, but it's probably a good idea to start with them for the first time.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2007, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Loading a flash page should be all about bandwidth (on both ends), and nothing to do with the web server software or hardware.
Well, true if he's the only person on the web server, if the site is getting pegged with hits from the outside world Apache optimization can help.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2007, 12:38 AM

Not really helpful, since the built in server already sets this, but Allow Persistent Connections should be enabled. That way clients don't have to renegotiate the connection every time they want a new page.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2007, 09:54 AM

HenryLee: what is the file size of your Flash movie you are trying to serve? Maybe this isn't an Apache problem, but simply bandwidth like somebody suggested, or even Flash rendering?

Forum Links
Forum Rules