Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Which External Enclosure"

Which External Enclosure"
Zoidberg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2004, 06:57 PM

I'm looking for an external enclosure for a dvd burner I just picked up today, preferabley usb and firewire. I'm curious what everone here recomends, as I can't find any real good sources of information on these things. (Yeah, I did try to search with minimal results... Mostly amiguity) Performance and compatability are key, and looks would be nice, but unnecessary

Oh if it helps, the drive is a TDK AID-880 (Woot, got it cheap) and the Mac is a g4 12" iBook. The pc is pretty standard, massivly overclocked p4 w/ windows xp, heh... It does have firewire, but I like to keep my options open.

Thanks for any help.
-Zoidberg

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2004, 05:25 PM

Hi! and welcome, OK you have 2 post, but I missed your first one

Give a look here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Pa...le=&Template=1

oh, as you have a DVD burner, you must choose one like this:

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...Item=ADSDLX185

Maybe you can find any other more good looking, but this was my first search�s try :-D

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2004, 06:12 PM

OWC sells some, yeah, but I'd suggest saving money and going to NewEgg.com to buy one. This one is great, and it only costs $40 + $5 shipping.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2004, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
OWC sells some, yeah, but I'd suggest saving money and going to NewEgg.com to buy one. This one is great, and it only costs $40 + $5 shipping.
I bought one of those, and while it works, it's flimsy, looks cheap, and the fan rubs against the housing and is intolerably loud.

I also bought one of the macally's linked to in the first post, and it's a lot more solid, and solid-looking. No fan, and it has a shock-mounting system. It's more, but I like it better.
CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules