Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Got a Mac Mini!

Got a Mac Mini!
mash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 11:18 PM

I posted earlier with questions about the mac mini, etc. I decided I would give it a shot so I just bought a new one (Intel Solo, default specs) at MicroCenter. I must say I am very impressed. I connected to the internet easily and put all my music into iTunes (from DVDs I burned on my pc) in less than 10min. The speed is also very impressive for what I will be doing on it, internet load times are great and music etc loads very quickly. Also the fact that I can only hear it if I get close to it and strain my ears is a plus . So, my first impression is very positive and I could very well become a Mac addict . If the rumored new mac mini has info released and looks too tempting I may do a switch-up, but for now I am content .

archer75
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 11:33 PM

I have also ordered a Mini solo. If we like it i'll drop a merom in it, 2gb of ram and a DVD burner. Then it will be smokin.

Should arrive on Saturday, can't wait.

MacOS-Fan
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2006, 01:38 PM

Congrats! I think that you'll like it in the Mac world.
20" iMac (Intel CoreDuo)
- 2 GB's of RAM
- Logitech X530 Sound System

archer75
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2006, 02:08 PM

Got mine yesterday and was getting it setup. Man this thing is slow. Apple really needs to put 1gb ram, 7200rpm drive as a bare minimum.

But it's really just a test to see how we like it. I may get a new one when they arrive in september. I really want a mac tower, another version of the Macpro with spec somewhere in between an imac and the macpro.

mash  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2006, 03:11 PM

What are you doing on yours? I havent done anything that has seemed slow at all, and I switched from a dual core pc with 1gb mem, 7800gt, etc.

archer75
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2006, 07:08 PM

imported some pictures, then some songs. Tried to surf the web while doing that and safari took forever to launch. Then setup mail. Ran a system update. itunes hard locked on me. Downloaded files to connect my ipod to the mac.

Basically just getting everything setup. And while trying to do more than one thing at a time it was just crawling.

Do you think it's the resolution i'm running at? 1600x1200. Maybe it's too much for the onboard intel video?
( Last edited by archer75; Aug 26, 2006 at 07:27 PM. )

mash  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2006, 10:09 PM

That might be it. I'm running default (1152x870) and only have problems for large flash sites and other high-res video related things. I will definitely be buying a 1gb stick of ram as soon as I can for better multitasking. since it does slow down if you have a lot of programs running at once (expected for a single core, though).

wilsonng
Senior User
Aug 27, 2006, 01:11 AM

Personally, I believe Mac OS X Tiger runs best with at least 1 GB of RAM. It seems like 512 MBs just isn't eough....
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

MacOS-Fan
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2006, 01:18 PM

Archer, is your's a solo or a duo?
20" iMac (Intel CoreDuo)
- 2 GB's of RAM

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2006, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by archer75
imported some pictures, then some songs. Tried to surf the web while doing that and safari took forever to launch. Then setup mail. Ran a system update. itunes hard locked on me. Downloaded files to connect my ipod to the mac.

Basically just getting everything setup. And while trying to do more than one thing at a time it was just crawling.

Do you think it's the resolution i'm running at? 1600x1200. Maybe it's too much for the onboard intel video?
You need more RAM, 1gb is the minimum these days. Remember that the mini steals some RAM for the graphics card so you're not even getting all of the feeble 512mb.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

archer75
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2006, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by MacOS-Fan
Archer, is your's a solo or a duo?
solo. I got the slowest, cheapest mini I could get. But there is always room for upgrades. I just wish apples base models were better.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2006, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by archer75
solo. I got the slowest, cheapest mini I could get. But there is always room for upgrades. I just wish apples base models were better.
Add more RAM and you will be amazed at the difference in speed.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

MacOS-Fan
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2006, 08:56 PM

The Solo is a great machine. As stated above, more RAM would probably solve your problem.
20" iMac (Intel CoreDuo)
- 2 GB's of RAM

bmd6491
Baninated
Aug 27, 2006, 09:12 PM

what kind of monitor are you using?

archer75
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2006, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by bmd6491
what kind of monitor are you using?
Dell 2001fp 20" LCD

DakRT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2006, 11:53 AM

Yeah I have a dual core duo which originally had 512mb of ram. man that thing was slow when I had more than 2 apps running at the same time. I just recently bought 2GB of ram. That made a BIG difference. The next upgrade that I will do is put in a bigger and faster hard drive.
DakRT

archer75
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by DakRT
Yeah I have a dual core duo which originally had 512mb of ram. man that thing was slow when I had more than 2 apps running at the same time. I just recently bought 2GB of ram. That made a BIG difference. The next upgrade that I will do is put in a bigger and faster hard drive.
If I decide to keep the mac I will do that as well. But i'm having some annoying issues with it so far.

Forum Links
Forum Rules