Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Does the KIA car brand name bother you?

View Poll Results: Does the KIA car brand name bother you?
Poll Options:
Yes. But not enough to prevent my buying one if I liked it. 6 votes (7.32%)
Yes. I'd never own one due to the name. 12 votes (14.63%)
No. I assign no negative thoughts to the name. 50 votes (60.98%)
No. I recognize the similarity but I'm neither superstitious nor conspiratorial. 12 votes (14.63%)
Hmmm. I didn't know about this but will give it some thought. 2 votes (2.44%)
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll
Does the KIA car brand name bother you? (Page 3)
abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Seriously Abe, is this whole thing a joke? I've never heard anyone, military or otherwise, make this comparison between the name Kia and the acronym for Killed in Action. I seriously doubt this has effected their sales in anyway. You're gonna have to work to prove your 15% theory. Care to cite some sources for that number?

While we're on the subject; should I no longer get the awesome chicken and broccoli garlic pie at Mama Mia's Pizza down the street? I mean, you could say they are offending the memory of those that shall not be forgotten by having "mia" in the name of their business, and that is along the same ridiculous lines as the Kia thing, isn't it?

And I'm pretty sure you've been told about the "liberal" digs being made outside of the political lounge, so give that tired garbage a rest, please and thank you.
If I attempt to show you the error of your ways will you promise not to use your modulating powers to take advantage of me or exact revenge against me?

Without your promise then I've got nothing to say.

Thank you.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
I have qualifications?
Of course!

You are able to conjugate verbs in many tongues.

And that stands in marked contrast to others here who I'd guess are only capable of standing at the Gate giving the tongue to Cons and...others.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 17, 2007, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by abe View Post
If I attempt to show you the error of your ways will you promise not to use your modulating powers to take advantage of me or exact revenge against me?

Without your promise then I've got nothing to say.

Thank you.
I don't have to promise anything, and I will moderate as I see fit. We'll just leave it at you can put forth any ridiculous theories you want. if I decide that it's nothing more than flame bait, I'll "modulate" a lock onto the thread. If you want to persist in political sniping and other related BS, then you can expect some "modulating" on your user account. That's about all the promises you are going to get from me.
Nemo me impune lacesset

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 05:31 AM

I don't have to promise anything, and I will moderate as I see fit. We'll just leave it at you can put forth any ridiculous theories you want. if I decide that it's nothing more than flame bait, I'll "modulate" a lock onto the thread. If you want to persist in political sniping and other related BS, then you can expect some "modulating" on your user account. That's about all the promises you are going to get from me.
Look, you've proven to all here that you have all the power and that we only breathe MacNN air at your pleasure so why not take a walk on the wild side and talk to me man to man without your fire proof suit?

I'll promise to be respectful.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 17, 2007, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Man, this is getting weird now.
Yes because MacNN doesn't have a heavy liberal membership....

Oh wait, yes it does!
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Abe has a severe condition that encourages him to post his political leanings in the lounge...luckily I think Merck is working on a pill that would direct his attention to the P/L.

It's called "Directyourzealotryelsewhere"
Wow, besson has been doing this for years too. He must have the SAME disease.

You better console him too. After all, it would showing favoritism to abe, and might hurt besson's feelings.

BTW guys I heard abe posted a post in another forum that isn't part of MacNN... if we get there real fast we can make fun of him there too! After all, abe DID catch that fly to left field that would have won you the game. So let him have it!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2007, 06:48 AM

Stop protecting your boyfriend, Kevin, he can take care of himself.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 17, 2007, 06:54 AM

Boyfriend sek.. come on.. next you are gonna start calling me a fag? Why would abe being my boyfriend mean a bad thing sek? Being a bit homophobic? (I keiiiid I kieeed)

Besides I am sure abe would make someone a FINE boyfriend. He's charming, handsome, and knows his way around the kitchen.

ANd I know he doesn't need "protecting" He does a fine job himself.

I just want in on the fun too. abe shouldn't be the only one allowed to have fun.

I say we start making fun of him for stealing all the fun!
( Last edited by Kevin; Aug 17, 2007 at 08:58 AM. )

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2007, 08:50 AM

... wow ...

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Aug 17, 2007, 09:12 AM

From a friend of mine in Iraq.
A KIA ambuance. I guess it's better than a DOA ambulancel...

All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Aug 17, 2007, 09:14 AM

Besides, to me, this is a Kia.

All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 17, 2007, 09:15 AM

Deawoo vs KIA.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 17, 2007, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Deawoo vs KIA.
Daewoo?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 09:27 AM

Maewoo?

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 17, 2007, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Daewoo?
Daewoo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 17, 2007, 10:02 AM

I'm well acquainted with the car brand. I was questioning your spelling.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2007, 11:30 AM

Perhaps, by "kia" the Kia Motor company means "to arise out of Asia", and they didn't realize that 15% of people frequenting an Apple fan forum might take issue with that brand name?
( Last edited by Wiskedjak; Aug 17, 2007 at 11:38 AM. )

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2007, 11:59 AM

well, i guess you can't go accusing aberdeenwriter of losing his touch.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2007, 12:02 PM

"Sorry Donkey Kong, you're just not a draw anymore"

: DK throws barrel at guy :

"Hey, he's still got it!"

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2007, 12:38 PM

Boyfriend sek.. come on.. next you are gonna start calling me a fag? Why would abe being my boyfriend mean a bad thing sek? Being a bit homophobic? (I keiiiid I kieeed)
I'm just jealous because I want to be the one to massage your broad Christian shoulders

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2007, 12:50 PM

I'm just jealous because I want to be the one to massage your broad Christian shoulders
And take my job? Never.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2007, 01:48 PM

This thread reminds me of this classic from Aberdeen Writer. You know, that lying thief David Bowie...

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 01:53 PM

Besides I am sure abe would make someone a FINE boyfriend. He's charming, handsome, and knows his way around the kitchen.

ANd I know he doesn't need "protecting" He does a fine job himself.

I just want in on the fun too. abe shouldn't be the only one allowed to have fun.

I say we start making fun of him for stealing all the fun!
Sek, you KNOW I would have a field day with your post if I was looking for a few thrills. But Kevin is right, as usual. I am being unfairly ganged up on and I think if you looked into your hearts you would see that I'm just a soul whose intentions are good. Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood.

And you know how every year (NFL Hall of Fame former Super Bowl winning Head Coach and MNF Announcer) John Madden announces his All-Madden Team?

John Madden

Well, I'm going to create "abe's All-MNN Team" made up of 30+/- posters who distinguish themselves in my estimation. And I'll tell you there are a few spots that are already locked up.

ZigZag (RIP), Zimphire, Gorickey, Simey the Limey, Ca$h, Cody Dawg, Logic, wdlove and mojo2 are in the retired category.

But among the ranks of current posters you KNOW Kevin, Railroader, Rumor, Oisin, Salty, Bluesky, Sky Captain, Wiskedjak, besson3c and Doofy are 'locks' for inclusion.

So all of you should be nice to them. Who knows, maybe you'll be chosen as well!

Some of you will need to try harder than others.
( Last edited by abe; Aug 17, 2007 at 02:39 PM. )

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Perhaps, by "kia" the Kia Motor company means "to arise out of Asia", and they didn't realize that 15% of people frequenting an Apple fan forum might take issue with that brand name?
And maybe 80% of the people frequenting said forum may not fully appreciate how much business KIA Motors might be losing due to that unfortunate choice of name.

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 02:11 PM

And maybe 80% of the people frequenting said forum may not fully appreciate how much business KIA Motors might be losing due to that unfortunate choice of name.
abe, you still have not given any evidence of this. Are there discussions other places that would make you think this is so? Is this an issue with military people?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2007, 02:12 PM

ZigZag (RIP), Zimphire, Gorickey, Simey the Limey, Ca$h, Cody Dawg, Logic, wdlove and mojo2 are in the retired category.

But among the ranks of current posters you KNOW Kevin, Railroader, Bluesky, Sky Captain, Wiskedjak, besson3c and Doofy are 'locks' for inclusion.

So all of you should be nice to them. Who knows, maybe you'll be chosen as well!

As long as you have Zimphire and Keven, are you sure you don't want to include Kilbey, too?

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n View Post
well, i guess you can't go accusing aberdeenwriter of losing his touch.
I know it might hurt you to compliment me. Nonetheless, I'll take it as a compliment. Thank you.

I also believe a signal might have been given when ThinkInsane locked the "MacNN is Dying" thread. His action could be interpreted as an official end of what amounted to MacNN's death watch thread.

With my return to form it might be seen as a reason for optimism and with that TI upgraded the 'patient's' condition from 'grave' to 'irritated.'

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 02:16 PM

As long as you have Zimphire and Keven, are you sure you don't want to include Kilbey, too?
Uh, who is Kilbey? There are some whom I didn't know well in their past lives.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 02:31 PM

abe, you still have not given any evidence of this. Are there discussions other places that would make you think this is so? Is this an issue with military people?
Thanks for asking.

Part of the rationale for the number is a paean to the Rolling Stones, who called themselves the best rock & roll band in the world. Who could dispute it?

Part of the rationale is based on the poll results in this thread. And those results are supported by empirical evidence. All of it is wildly unscientific but maybe this will bother someone enough to prompt them to do a real study and publish the statistical truth of the matter.

As part of that empirical evidence I submit this for your consideration:

Results 1 - 10 of about 666,000 for KIA = killed in action. (0.13 seconds) ( )

Killed in Action-Remember
Honor Your Soldier's Memory.
Support for KIA Family Members.
USA KIA/DOW Family Foundation (USAKIA)
Killed in action - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Killed in action (or KIA) is a casualty classification generally used by militaries to ... Further, KIA denotes one to have been killed in action on the ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killed_in_action - 19k - Cached - Similar pages
KIA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Killed in action; Knots indicated airspeed; A term used in Zos Kia Cultus. Airports:. Kabul International Airport, Afghanistan; Kaohsiung International ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kia - 16k - Cached - Similar pages
Americans Killed in Action, Numbers, American War Library
Numbers of Americans Killed/Wounded, by Action ... Canadian KIA/WIA 946. United States KIA 1465 WIA 3184 MIA 1928 POW 29, --, --. 1945, Iwo Jima, 6503 ...
members.aol.com/usregistry/allwars.htm - 22k - Cached - Similar pages
Killed In Action (KIA) definition - Army Technology
Definition of Killed In Action (KIA) ... KIA, short for Killed in Action. KIA / Killed In Action is used to indicate an individual who is killed during a ...
Killed In Action (KIA) definition - Army Technology - 6k - Cached - Similar pages
KIA - killed in action
KIA killed in action A member of the armed services who is reported killed during a combat mission. pronunciation: jern wang, BUY THIS SYMBOL ...
KIA - killed in action - 6k - Cached - Similar pages
MySpace.com - Seth Kennedy - Skokie - Acoustic / Blues / Folk Rock ...
I have a poem written called "knock at the door" that I'm reminded of when I hear KIA. (Believe it or not, I did 6 1/2 years in the Marine Corps, ...
MySpace.com - Seth Kennedy - Skokie - Acoustic / Blues / Folk Rock - www.myspace.com/sethkennedychicago - 168k - Cached - Similar pages
Killed in Action KIA Special Plate
Killed in Action License Plate. Cost:. Order Form:. Copyright © 2006, Oklahoma Tax Commission Security Statement | Privacy Statement | Feedback | OK.gov ...
Killed in Action KIA Special Plate - 6k - Cached - Similar pages
kia
Delaware's War Heroes. 158 Delawareans have been killed in action ...
delaware43015.com/kia/kiaframe.htm - 2k - Cached - Similar pages
Civil War
Click on the links below to view the names of those Stokes County soldiers who were KIA (Killed in Action) or DOW (Died of Wounds) while fighting for the ...
Civil War - 15k - Cached - Similar pages
Tankers Killed In Action
The total number of U.S. Army Tankers (enlisted men with MOS 11E10, 11E20, 11E40, and Officers with MOS 1203) killed in the Republic of Vietnam is 725. ...
Tankers Killed In Action - 162k - Cached - Similar pages
And when I Googled, "KIA motors killed in action" the first page of results netted this.

Results 1 - 10 of about 65,500 for KIA motors killed in action. (0.11 seconds)

Sponsored Links
Engraved KIA Bracelets
To Remember Fallen U.S. Soldiers
Stainless Steel or Colored Aluminum
Military Fallen Soldiers Killed in Action Memorial Bracelets
My3cents.com - Kia Motors Complaint - Customer ripoff - useless ...
Kia Motors Consumer Review - Customer ripoff - useless warranty - Warranty. ... KIA autos is best known for being Killed In Action. ...
My3cents.com - Kia Motors Complaint - Customer ripoff - useless warranty, Warranty - 17k - Cached - Similar pages
My3cents.com - Kia Motors Informative - Warning! 2002 Kia Sportage ...
Kia Motors Consumer Review - Warning! 2002 Kia Sportage Owners - 2002 Kia ... that with this post is enough to tell me NEVER BUY A KIA(KILLED IN ACTION). ...
My3cents.com - Kia Motors Informative - Warning! 2002 Kia Sportage Owners, 2002 Kia Sportage - 17k - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from My3cents.com - Let your voice be heard! Consumer Reviews, Complaints and more... ]
Kia - Tag Story Index - USATODAY.com
Kia Motors Corp. posted its third straight quarterly loss Friday, ... An American pilot was officially listed as killed in action after his F-16 crashed in ...
asp.usatoday.com/community/tags/topic.aspx?req=tag&tag=Kia - 52k - Cached - Similar pages
KIA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
KIA or Kia may mean:. Kia Motors, Automobile manufacturer; Kirby Ian Andersen ... Killed in action; Knots indicated airspeed; A term used in Zos Kia Cultus ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kia - 16k - Cached - Similar pages
consumocuidado.cl - Reclamo en contra de Kia Motors
"Reclamo en contra de Kia Motors" | Entrar/Crear Cuenta | 20 Comentarios | Buscar ..... linked from said 2005a Chalet Trentino Baite killed tortured attack. ...
consumocuidado.cl - Reclamo en contra de Kia Motors - 76k - Cached - Similar pages
Kia - About Kia swicki - powered by eurekster
Official U.S. site for Kia Motors, featuring information on new models, local dealers, ... Kia Asamiya, a popular Japanese manga artist. Killed in action. ...
about-kia-swicki.eurekster.com/Kia/ - 49k - Cached - Similar pages
[email protected]
Acronym for "Killed In Action", used by the military to label one of the ways ... The Kia Motors Corp was recently purchased by Hyundai Motors and will most ...
[email protected] - 27k - Cached - Similar pages
Rip Off Report: Ragsdale Kia - Kia Motors 2003 sorento is ...
Ragsdale Kia - Kia Motors 2003 sorento is dangerous, sold a lemon ripoff Shrewsbury ... Had I been going 70 on the hiway-I would've been killed. ...
Rip Off Report: Ragsdale Kia - Kia Motors 2003 sorento is dangerous, sold a lemon ripoff Shrewsbury Massachusetts - 20k - Cached - Similar pages
Rip Off Report: Kia Motors 630 2004 Kia Sedona ripoff ...
Kia Motors 630 2004 Kia Sedona ripoff Malfunctioned in Stering and I hit a TREE ... Kia said since we were not seriously injured or killed it was not their ...
Rip Off Report: Kia Motors 630 2004 Kia Sedona ripoff Malfunctioned in Stering and I hit a TREE going 15 Miles an hour Gardendale Alabama - 19k - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from Ripoff Report: By Consumers, For Consumers ]
And looky, looky here!
Does the KIA car brand name bother you? - Page 2 - MacNN Forums
Not that I think of Killed in Action when I think of KIA. .... to explain the difference to me I'd say the KIA Motors people have already lost the PR war. ...
forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lounge/345219/does-kia-car-brand-name-bother/2/ - 207k - 22 hours ago - Cached - Similar pages
I guess maybe you CAN create your own truth just by getting enough people to buy into it. Huh! Who woulda thunk it?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2007, 02:55 PM

Of all those results, your's is the only one I can see displaying any concern about the Kia logo relative to the acronym for "killed in action".

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2007, 04:05 PM

Sek, you KNOW I would have a field day with your post if I was looking for a few thrills. But Kevin is right, as usual. I am being unfairly ganged up on and I think if you looked into your hearts you would see that I'm just a soul whose intentions are good. Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood.

And you know how every year (NFL Hall of Fame former Super Bowl winning Head Coach and MNF Announcer) John Madden announces his All-Madden Team?

John Madden

Well, I'm going to create "abe's All-MNN Team" made up of 30+/- posters who distinguish themselves in my estimation. And I'll tell you there are a few spots that are already locked up.

But among the ranks of current posters you KNOW Kevin, Railroader, Rumor, Oisin, Salty, Bluesky, Sky Captain, Wiskedjak, besson3c and Doofy are 'locks' for inclusion.

Aww, everything is so unfair when your right all the time

Gimme a break.

If you didn't state wild speculations as facts I doubt anyone would have a problem with you.

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 04:26 PM

I don't know why I'm spending time with this, but...

Google search
"KIA name offensive"
"KIA brand offensive"
"KIA logo offensive"

0 results.

Then some searching without the quotes and I'm not finding anything at all about this being an issue with anyone. There is a lot of talk about KIA, and it's sounding like a decent vehicle.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 04:55 PM

Aww, everything is so unfair when your right all the time

Gimme a break.

If you didn't state wild speculations as facts
Were he alive today, I'd bet that Galileo would be tight with Kevin. And like Kevin Galileo would have my back.

Galileo's championing of Copernicanism, particularly the heliocentric model of the universe, was controversial within his lifetime. The geocentric view had been dominant since the time of Aristotle and was an article of faith within the Catholic Church. Galileo was eventually forced to recant his heliocentrism and spent the last years of his life under house arrest on orders of the Inquisition.
Lots of people mistakenly equate anything they don't recognize to be true (out of their failure to think about said subjects or explore said subjects) as wild speculation.

If you didn't state wild speculations as facts I doubt anyone would have a problem with you.
Because of the limitations of this medium, as opposed to real life encounters when if you like the way someone moves on the dance floor you can ask them to dance and then take them home for other pleasures, here there is nothing you can do to consumate the relationship with someone like me who stirs your passions in the danse we all do here other than to attack. Because it is only in such encounters that my best moves are revealed.

So, in effect anyone who doesn't like the way others provoke me or the way I respond in kind are like prudes who want to stop healthy, vibrant, sensual young people from having sexual intercourse.

But I have been trying to be unprovocative and in THAT effort those who attack are wanting to 'screw' me but they are being 'screwed' by the forces that don't like that I'm such a juicy screwer.
( Last edited by abe; Aug 17, 2007 at 05:09 PM. )

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 17, 2007, 05:15 PM

Abe, I'll tell you what's pissing me off about your topic here: I think your entire line of thought, as posted, is disingenuous. I don't think you really have a problem with this, nor do I believe that you or any rational person would. I think this is nothing more than trolling, and frankly I find that far more offensive to those that have sacrificed their lives in the service of their country than a coincidental corporate name.
Nemo me impune lacesset

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 05:17 PM

I don't know why I'm spending time with this, but...

Google search
"KIA name offensive"
"KIA brand offensive"
"KIA logo offensive"

0 results.

Then some searching without the quotes and I'm not finding anything at all about this being an issue with anyone. There is a lot of talk about KIA, and it's sounding like a decent vehicle.
The search parameters are insufficient, in those cases you listed, to produce any discernible results.

Just like Googling, "Nixon running mate" doesn't show the name, "Henry Cabot Lodge" in any of these results.

United States presidential election, 1972 - Wikipedia, the free ...
Nixon won the election in a landslide, with a 23.2% margin of victory in the popular vote, .... Home State, Running Mate's Electoral Vote. Count, Percentage ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._presidential_election,_1972 - 59k - Cached - Similar pages
United States presidential election, 1964 - Wikipedia, the free ...
Former Vice-President Richard Nixon, who had been beaten by Kennedy in the ... Jr., Nixon's running mate in 1960 and a former Massachusetts senator. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._presidential_election,_1964 - 82k - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from en.wikipedia.org ]
When President Johnson Grilled Hubert Humphrey - Succeed through ...
Lyndon B. Johnson was very thorough in interviewing Hubert H. Humphrey before selecting him as his running mate. Meanwhile George McGovern and Richard Nixon ...
When President Johnson Grilled Hubert Humphrey - Succeed through Studying History: School for Champions - 14k - Cached - Similar pages
Richard M. Nixon
Two years later, General Eisenhower selected Nixon, age 39, to be his running mate. As Vice President, Nixon took on major duties in the Eisenhower ...
Richard M. Nixon - 18k - Cached - Similar pages
Richard M. Nixon
These cases brought Nixon to the attention of the public and in 1952 Dwight Eisenhower chose him as his running mate in the presidential election of 1952. ...
Richard M. Nixon - 119k - Cached - Similar pages
Franklin & Marshall - Running Mate Frenzy
It's our quadrennial running mate frenzy. And it's all in good fun. ... Nixon in 1960, Johnson in 1964, Nixon and Humphrey in 1968, Ford in 1976, ...
Franklin & Marshall - Running Mate Frenzy - 22k - Cached - Similar pages
CNN/AllPolitics.com - Election 2000 - The Republican National ...
Nixon again emerged as the Republican presidential candidate in 1968 and surprised many by tapping Maryland Gov. Spiro T. Agnew for the running mate ...
CNN/AllPolitics.com - Election 2000 - The Republican National Convention - 30k - Cached - Similar pages
The Vice President
General Dwight Eisenhower, the Republican candidate for president in 1952, selected Nixon as his running mate at the Republican convention in Chicago on ...
nixon.archives.gov/thelife/apolitician/thevicepresident.php - 38k - Cached - Similar pages
Essays.cc - Richard Nixon
Nixon won the election by 680000 votes. In 1952 Nixon was selected to be the running mate of General Dwight Eisenhower, who had won the Republican ...
Essays.cc - Richard Nixon - 15k - Cached - Similar pages
Nixon - Gannon Interviews - About Nixon
The Checkers Speech became famous and saved Nixon's place as Dwight Eisenhower's running mate. In 1953, he was sworn in as nation’s the second youngest vice ...
Nixon - Gannon Interviews - About Nixon - 14k - Cached - Similar pages
But that doesn't mean the man did not exist. It doesn't mean that he wasn't Nixon's running mate in the 1960 election.

It only means that I needed to use a different search phrase and/or search the results more thoroughly.

And let's keep in mind that the thread title is, "Does the KIA car brand name bother you?"

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 05:27 PM

Abe, I'll tell you what's pissing me off about your topic here: I think your entire line of thought, as posted, is disingenuous. I don't think you really have a problem with this, nor do I believe that you or any rational person would. I think this is nothing more than trolling, and frankly I find that far more offensive to those that have sacrificed their lives in the service of their country than a coincidental corporate name.
The person who first introduced the subject to my consciousness was renowned radio talk show host, and Vietnam vet, Jim Bohannon.

I had no idea anyone would become bothered by my asking such a thing.

Not EVERYTHING I do is premeditated. This was a genuine, organic, authentic and spontaneous query and a true indication of my personal thoughts and feelings. It is obviously not a trolling because otherwise there would be no one else who answered the question as I did.

And you know that I didn't conspire with any of the posters because you can check my PM's and see I've had no contact with anyone else here on this subject. (That's assuming you can check when and to whom PM's are directed, if not the actual content of those PM's. Although I may be wrong. Do you Mods/Admins have that ability??? And do you avail yourselves of it? If so, under what circumstances? )

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 05:31 PM

Once again, consider this post. Do you really think I'm trolling with this?

Does the KIA car brand name bother you?

Korean car manufacturer, KIA, builds cars that are at least consistent with the level of quality demanded by America consumers and at a level of safety mandated by the U.S. government. Their goal, AFAIK, is to sell as many cars as they can and to keep their profits as high as they can and to get as many repeat buyers as they can, not only in America but everywhere else in the world where they do business.

But anyone in the military knows that the initials, KIA, also stand for "Killed In Action." And out of a silly, irrational superstition I would not buy or own a KIA automobile because of the mental association I'd make to that military abbreviation.

I'm interested in knowing how you all feel.

Does the KIA car brand name bother you?

Yes. But not enough to prevent my buying one if I liked it.

Yes. I'd never own one due to the name.

No. I assign no negative thoughts to the name.

No. I recognize the similarity but I'm neither superstitious nor conspiratorial.

Hmmm. I didn't know about this but will give it some thought.
I admit to having this phobia or 'stupid-stition' regarding this issue and here's why.

I once used to commute a looong way to a job a greatly disliked and during the drive I'd sometimes think of all the accidents that had occurred on that stretch of road and just allowed those thoughts to dwell and take up residence in my mind. Well, within a few months, and significantly, after a blow up with my supervisor, I had a traffic accident along that road after having a perfect driving record up until then.

Since then I have been quite careful of the power of thoughts and the issue of my personal susceptibility to negative thoughts like that and how they might play on/in/with my reality.

So when I heard 'Jimbo' mention that acronym making that association it became something I immediately grew superstitious of and this thread was started to explore that idea and see how others thought about it.

There you have it. My soul laid bare.

If that's not enough to satisfy you that I'm on the level I suggest you look elsewhere to find the reason that might be.
( Last edited by abe; Aug 17, 2007 at 05:43 PM. )

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 05:46 PM

What on earth is going on here! I haven't opened this thread, but today I decided to have a look because I couldn't believe a 3 page thread about a budget Korean car company, who sold repackaged old Mazda's, and a death-trap of a people carrier.
The brand first arrived here in the early 90's and this is the FIRST time I have herd anyone connect kia Motors to the military term "Killed in Action".

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12 View Post
What on earth is going on here! I haven't opened this thread, but today I decided to have a look because I couldn't believe a 3 page thread about a budget Korean car company, who sold repackaged old Mazda's, and a death-trap of a people carrier.
The brand first arrived here in the early 90's and this is the FIRST time I have herd anyone connect kia Motors to the military term "Killed in Action".
Just think, anything else you 'newly' learn today will be like icing on the cake!

The joke there being that this is why we all exchange feelings and thoughts here in the first place. To learn something new. Right?

Rumor
Aug 17, 2007, 09:12 PM

Woo hoo!
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 10:00 PM

Just like Googling, "Nixon running mate" doesn't show the name, "Henry Cabot Lodge" in any of these results.
Yes it does. The top of the list. Now I know you are just arguing in the wind.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2007, 11:09 PM

lol! Did you even try?

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2007, 02:09 AM

lol! Did you even try?
Yes it does. The top of the list. Now I know you are just arguing in the wind.
It was an example to illustrate a principle. Just not the one you've chosen to celebrate.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 18, 2007, 07:25 AM

I'm well acquainted with the car brand. I was questioning your spelling.
Oh ... um ok... Good find!
OR he is trying to get people to THINK.

You know, I was never in high end thunkin programs at the sckoools. But somehow, for some reason, I get gabe. disingenuous? Not at all

Maybe what takes here isn't book smarts.

I guess maybe you CAN create your own truth just by getting enough people to buy into it. Huh! Who woulda thunk it?
A lot like Wikipedia.
( Last edited by Kevin; Aug 18, 2007 at 07:33 AM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 18, 2007, 07:26 AM

Wanna go out back and make out?

Make sure to wear a hat.
Abe is telling you that their is a chest with a million dollars in the pool. Do you just keep looking in the shallow end for it to float to the top, or do you dive right in the deeper end and get it?
( Last edited by Kevin; Aug 18, 2007 at 07:35 AM. )

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2007, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Similarly, I had to have someone explain the apocryphal "Chevy Nova" thing in Spanish.
Well.. nova is a word in Spanish for nova, so I don't see why there would be any confusion with 'no va'. Although it would be kinda funny to hear someone say 'Chevy nova' out of context.. for 2 seconds or so.

(no va is pronounced slightly differently than nova anyway)

KIA has no meaning for me, I just think it is an ugly name. I'd never buy a KIA. Or Hyundai for that matter. I prefer American cars over almost all others except in turismos. But I don't like turismos as much as jeeps anyway.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2007, 09:37 AM

It was an example to illustrate a principle. Just not the one you've chosen to celebrate.
Please explain the principle it was meant to exemplify, then.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 18, 2007, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Well.. nova is a word in Spanish for nova, so I don't see why there would be any confusion with 'no va'. Although it would be kinda funny to hear someone say 'Chevy nova' out of context.. for 2 seconds or so.

(no va is pronounced slightly differently than nova anyway)
Fortunately, I didn't make up this little bit of gibberish, I just repeated it. I can't imagine anyone saying "I'm not buying this car because its name means "won't go" if I screw around with it some." You're right-two or three seconds of a big smile and then on with life.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 18, 2007, 10:25 AM

Please explain the principle it was meant to exemplify, then.
Most of abe's post over the years I have tended to find out have little to do with the content he is posting. It's a way to get you to think.

I remember one time Perry Farrell from Jane's Addiction had this to say.

Question: Perry, I read an article many years back... you said if you can't get the meaning of the song in three days, then you happened to experience life. Care to explain what you meant in writing the song?

Perry Farrell: Well, I think that there ought to be a moment or two in one's life that it is they -- as an adult -- taking their party to the limit. And that's quite simply what the story is about, so anyone who couldn't understand the lyrics probably has not taken their party to the limit yet.

Abe simply likes to take the party to the limit.

That party can be whatever you like it to be.
( Last edited by Kevin; Aug 18, 2007 at 10:33 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 18, 2007, 10:28 AM

Let's get off of "who's being rude/stupid/whatever" track RIGHT NOW. The point of this thread is "do the name's implications deter you from buying one of their cars?" People who persist in bickering about other members will wind up with infractions FAST.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 18, 2007, 10:35 AM

Does that include moderators too?

Forum Links
Forum Rules