Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iOS 4 Update

iOS 4 Update (Page 2)
Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2010, 10:33 PM

Serious unhappiness in this household. My iPhone 3g updated to 4.x just fine.
My wife's iPod Touch 3g is bricked nicely. Stupid updates. !#$*@&#$*(&@#

Andrew88088
Jun 21, 2010, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
interesting. 3g or 3gs?
3gs.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2010, 11:41 PM

There's some not very great info about tethering on this page.
Smartphone customers who choose the DataPro plan can add tethering for an additional $20 per month.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2010, 12:17 AM

Voice control is great. I often carry my iPhone in a pocket with my earbuds on and use it to make calls and control the iPod. Of course, I can't see the screen when the phone is in my pocket, so I wrote to Apple and told them how cool it would be if voice control could tell time. So after updating today I asked voice contol, "What time is it?" It told me!

Apple iOS 4 was my idea!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2010, 04:43 AM

As I said before, I have a 3G, and its a 16GB. Got OS4 installed lastnight from the restore instead of the upgrade because of the neverending backup when upgrading, I let the apps install and cancelled the music copying back (it was early hours of the morning by this time). Running this morning I've put the pages and pages of app screens down to 2 pages of folders. Contacts are fine, emails are fine, and its all, dare I say it, snappy! Smoother than the OS 3.1x I had before. This might be due to the music not taking up space though, I had about 13 or 14GB used with the music, its using about 4GB now.

Got there in the end but its good so far!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 22, 2010, 06:37 AM

My 3Gs updated without a glitch. I like the wallpaper and the unified inbox. Haven't played much with the rest of it yet.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Koralatov
Senior User
Jun 22, 2010, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
As I said before, I have a 3G, and its […] fine, and its all, dare I say it, snappy! Smoother than the OS 3.1x I had before. This might be due to the music not taking up space though, I had about 13 or 14GB used with the music, its using about 4GB now.
wut. It’s on my 8GB 3G, and it is sloooooow. I’ve got about a gig of space free on it (same as before the upgrade), and the ‘upgrade’ to 4.0 has made nearly everything seriously laggy. Third-party, not-iOS4-optimised I could understand, but even SMS takes forever to open and lags like crazy when I type.

Maybe I’ve got a borked install? I don’t know, but I do know that this just brings forward my upgrade to the iPhone 4 by a couple of months. I had planned on holding off a little while, but I don’t think I can tolerate the unresponsiveness for that long.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2010, 08:07 AM

iBooks is dog slow, but apart from that its ok. The zooming animations in and out of the home screen are fine again now, they used to be really jerky for me if they happened at all. I think its because of the restore to original settings before I installed 4.0, everything being in its right place now, so to speak. I can't remember the last time I did a restore, not sure if I ever have done one to be honest. So there was probably a lot of bits of junk on the storage thats been cleaned up. On the other hand, it could all go to crap again once I've put the music back on and the storage has got just a gig or so spare as it was before!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 22, 2010, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
My 3Gs updated without a glitch. I like the wallpaper and the unified inbox. Haven't played much with the rest of it yet.
Same here.

Multitasking (which was by far the biggest sell for me on this upgrade) kind of sucks, though. I knew it wasn’t real multitasking, but I didn’t think it would still have to reload every app from the beginning again every time you switch. The only difference from before is that I don’t have to swipe back and forth across app screens to find the right icon anymore, and the fade-in/fade-out animation is different. Other than that, switching apps still seems to take about as long as it did before. Or is this perhaps just until apps are updated to take advantage of whatever hoopla-magic they can now take advantage of to fully support multitasking?

The united inbox is nice, but it would be even nicer if there was some sort of way of telling which of your inboxes the various messages are actually from. Just something simple, like using colours the way iCal does for different calendars for example.
( Last edited by Oisín; Jun 22, 2010 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Typo)

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Same here.

Multitasking (which was by far the biggest sell for me on this upgrade) kind of suck, though. I knew it wasn’t real multitasking, but I didn’t think it would still have to reload every app from the beginning again every time you switch. The only difference from before is that I don’t have to swipe back and forth across app screens to find the right icon anymore, and the fade-in/fade-out animation is different. Other than that, switching apps still seems to take about as long as it did before. Or is this perhaps just until apps are updated to take advantage of whatever hoopla-magic they can now take advantage of to fully support multitasking?

The united inbox is nice, but it would be even nicer if there was some sort of way of telling which of your inboxes the various messages are actually from. Just something simple, like using colours the way iCal does for different calendars for example.
Apps need to be updated to work with the multitasking.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2010, 08:53 AM

Same here.

Multitasking (which was by far the biggest sell for me on this upgrade) kind of suck, though. I knew it wasn’t real multitasking, but I didn’t think it would still have to reload every app from the beginning again every time you switch. The only difference from before is that I don’t have to swipe back and forth across app screens to find the right icon anymore, and the fade-in/fade-out animation is different. Other than that, switching apps still seems to take about as long as it did before. Or is this perhaps just until apps are updated to take advantage of whatever hoopla-magic they can now take advantage of to fully support multitasking?
Whether it has to re-load depends upon the app.

A number of apps support the fast switching already.

It's very fast, here. Much-appreciated speed boost in everyday use.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Koralatov View Post
wut. It’s on my 8GB 3G, and it is sloooooow. I’ve got about a gig of space free on it (same as before the upgrade), and the ‘upgrade’ to 4.0 has made nearly everything seriously laggy. Third-party, not-iOS4-optimised I could understand, but even SMS takes forever to open and lags like crazy when I type.

Maybe I’ve got a borked install? I don’t know, but I do know that this just brings forward my upgrade to the iPhone 4 by a couple of months. I had planned on holding off a little while, but I don’t think I can tolerate the unresponsiveness for that long.
Painfully slow on my 3G 16 GB. The worst though is that music skips if I listen to the iPod app while surfing on 3G.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2010, 09:08 AM

I may hold off on upgrading my 3G - seems many people are reporting slowness on the older hardware (not surprised), I plan on getting the iPhone4 next month anyway.

One little tip to speed the upgrade process (based on past upgrades/restores) - clean up your iPhone before doing anything. Get rid of your movies, for example, to gain gigs of space. That way you'll be moving less data back and forth during the backup, upgrade, and restore process.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 22, 2010, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Whether it has to re-load depends upon the app.

A number of apps support the fast switching already.

It's very fast, here. Much-appreciated speed boost in everyday use.
Yeah, I just tried it between the Mail and SMS apps and it was instantaneous.

Words With Friends was just updated about three days ago, but apparently only to make it uglier, not to add multitasking functionality. Bugger.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2010, 10:28 AM

There's some not very great info about tethering on this page.
thank you, my page does not have the option for tethering
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2010, 10:58 AM

Live Updating in Smart Playlists is still completely broken after 4 major OS releases.

How does this happen?

Why is my 5 year old Nano a better music player then Apple's flagship portable device?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2010, 12:54 PM

Not enough apps support multitasking. The feature is pretty pointless right now.

Apple really needs to let us use custom folder icons. Row after row of identical grid icons is hard to navigate. I think they should make folders look like little folders, and let people customize the image on the front of the folder. That way they can look unique and still be instantly recognizable as a folder and not an app. Not sure what method they would use to attach a folder image to a folder, but I'm sure they can think of a way.

Opening folders feels slightly laggy.

I love the screen lock.

Wallpapers are nice, but anything beyond a very subtle texture looks atrocious. I have a feeling that we'll soon be seeing a lot of iPhones with busy overexposed pics of peoples kids behind all of the icons. Barf.

Icons that used the old black background color to crop out part of their shape now look bad.

The photos app finally uses the correct photo as the key pic in EVENTS view rather than just the first one in the folder.
( Last edited by ort888; Jun 22, 2010 at 01:07 PM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

david33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2010, 01:02 PM

Hear, hear! Such a simple implementation would make a huge difference in the mail app. Maybe 'color' will appear in a future update of iOS.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2010, 01:20 PM

What, do you think AT&T is going to give away tethering for free? The only network that does free tethering at all is Verizon, and that's only for the Pre Plus.
One of the few occasions where we aren't getting shafted up here in Canadia. Tethering is free with Rogers.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2010, 01:46 PM

There is no indicator of any kind? Not even the account's name next to the email?
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
There is no indicator of any kind? Not even the account's name next to the email?
No, but you can choose an individual account to view. If you don't want to see all your accounts, you can go into them individually. AFAIK, you can't view some of your accounts simultaneously though. It's either just one, or all of them, and if you view all of them, you don't know which account a particular email is from.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2010, 04:28 PM

So far, so good on my 3GS.

Faster, love the unified inbox, like the folders, meh about the multi-tasking set-up.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2010, 04:31 PM

If multi-tasking isn't all that great and user wallpapers don't work on a 3G, then I don't know why I should upgrade!
All that works quite well on my jailbroken 3G...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2010, 04:46 PM

Folders.

Single biggest thing here.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
If multi-tasking isn't all that great and user wallpapers don't work on a 3G, then I don't know why I should upgrade!
All that works quite well on my jailbroken 3G...
You can easily jailbreak iOS4 on a 3G and get everyone of those features back.

Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2010, 05:37 PM

iOS 4 is a piece of crap on anything less than the 3rd gen iPhone or iPod touch. On my iPod touch 2G, it's so terrible it renders games like tap tap unusable because of dropped frames. It also got really good at dropping WiFi connections. Combined with how many features don't work on anything worse than the 3GS, It's really disappointing how little work Apple put into this for older products.

Cold Warrior
Jun 23, 2010, 12:55 AM

Find my iPhone uses gps, which is one of the allowed multitasking operations.

When Find my iPhone is used, it stays in the fast switcher state, but does it also (in the background) continue to poll the target iPhone? Seems like a good way to unknowingly drain a phone.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2010, 01:16 AM

The searching phone shouldn’t have to use GPS at all to find the missing phone. It just uses the internet to get to MobileMe which contacts the target and asks for its location. As far as I could tell from the screenshots, Find My iPhone doesn’t even give any indication of where the device it’s on is actually located.

Besides which, I don’t think any app which can use GPS automatically does it in the background. It probably has to ask the OS for that explicitly, and I doubt Apple would bother putting that in Find My iPhone.
( Last edited by ghporter; Jun 23, 2010 at 07:18 AM. Reason: fixed tag)

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2010, 01:24 AM

When iOS4 makes its way to the iPad, and if they throw in printing, I could very well use this as my primary OS, and keep a PC desktop tucked away somewhere for the odd task.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2010, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
You can easily jailbreak iOS4 on a 3G and get everyone of those features back.
Really? How? As far as I know there is no jailbreak for iOS4 yet!

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2010, 08:14 AM

installed on my 3G and couldn't be happier. My phone ran like a POS when I put ver3.0 on it last year. slow slow slower! Now it's back to it's quick speed! Before, if I posted ANYTHING on Facebook, it would take about 60 seconds (seriously) then crash. Now it's instant.

Really love the update, can't wait to see it on my iPhone4, which is "on the truck for delivery" this morning!

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2010, 09:23 AM

I'm not updating my 3GS. I waiting for my iphone 4 to experience the glory. I imagine I'll have a "it's full of stars!" moment.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2010, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
Really? How? As far as I know there is no jailbreak for iOS4 yet!
AppleInsider | Hackers release 'jailbreak' of iOS 4 for Apple's iPhone 3GS

Cold Warrior
Jun 23, 2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
The searching phone shouldn’t have to use GPS at all to find the missing phone. It just uses the internet to get to MobileMe which contacts the target and asks for its location. As far as I could tell from the screenshots, Find My iPhone doesn’t even give any indication of where the device it’s on is actually located.

Besides which, I don’t think any app which can use GPS automatically does it in the background. It probably has to ask the OS for that explicitly, and I doubt Apple would bother putting that in Find My iPhone.
I suppose the easiest way to test is just to leave it up for a while, then flip back to it. If the target iPhone's location has been recently updated then one could assume that Find my iPhone continues to poll its target iPhones in the background.

Like you, however, I doubt Apple would have put that kind of work into the app.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I suppose the easiest way to test is just to leave it up for a while, then flip back to it. If the target iPhone's location has been recently updated…
Assuming they’re only using the sanctioned Multitasking APIs, that shouldn’t even be possible because Find My iPhone doesn’t use Location Services on the device it runs on. Because it doesn’t need to. I mean, check it yourself (I just did): install it, run it, notice that it doesn’t ask permission to use your location, go into Settings→General→Location Services, notice that it’s not on the list of apps there.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2010, 01:00 PM

Of course not! Why on earth should it?

The Find My iPhone app is for tracking OTHER devices.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2010, 02:05 PM

I suppose the easiest way to test is just to leave it up for a while, then flip back to it. If the target iPhone's location has been recently updated then one could assume that Find my iPhone continues to poll its target iPhones in the background.

Like you, however, I doubt Apple would have put that kind of work into the app.
I think you're confusing the ability the iPhone has and what the Find My iPhone app is doing. When you run the app on your iPhone you aren't using the GPS feature - you are simply pulling data from the MobileMe site. And that is not something that Apple supports as a background feature.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2010, 02:12 PM

I think the Cold Warrior knows the app isn't using GPS. He was asking whether the app keeps polling the missing phone when it's in the background. That's a fair question. (I think it isn't, by the way. What would be the point?)

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2010, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
I think the Cold Warrior knows the app isn't using GPS. He was asking whether the app keeps polling the missing phone when it's in the background. That's a fair question. (I think it isn't, by the way. What would be the point?)
It isn't, because that isn't one of the services iOS 4 supports as a background process.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
It isn't, because that isn't one of the services iOS 4 supports as a background process.
You're right. It isn't supported and now he knows. My own opinion is that the app doesn't ever poll the missing phone. The polling is from MobileMe to the missing phone. The app simply displays the information.

Cold Warrior
Jun 23, 2010, 06:58 PM

thank you chabig for clarifying. Yes, that's what I was getting at.

x user
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2010, 02:18 AM

I have the SAME problem with tethering on my 8gb 3g. The option to set up tethering doesn't even exist on the network screen. I went straight from 3.0.1 to 4.0, I was tethering for free on 3.0.1. I'm thinking that may have something to do with it? It supposedly has the updated Carrier settings (7.0, just like my friends 3GS that has the option there) but I'm guessing something is hacked up with those?

Gonna try a wipe and then manually add everything back.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 24, 2010, 09:08 PM

"Find My iPhone" question: is there anything that says you need an already existing MobileMe account? Can one sign up for the 60 day trial then use the app, or does it take some coordinated setup before you lose the phone?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2010, 09:15 PM

If you haven't logged into your MobileMe account from the device then it's not known to MobileMe. So it's too late after the phone goes missing.

Cold Warrior
Jun 24, 2010, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
"Find My iPhone" question: is there anything that says you need an already existing MobileMe account? Can one sign up for the 60 day trial then use the app, or does it take some coordinated setup before you lose the phone?
One does need mobileme, it doesn't work without it. But I'm on day 5 of the 60 day free trial and it works fine on an individual account but tracking 3 iPhones.

Cipher13
Jun 25, 2010, 12:27 AM

iPhone 3G: upgraded to iOS4, and if I can't do something about the slowness of this install, I'll be going back to 3 somehow.

*Everything* is slow. From unlocking the phone, entering the pin, and typing both SMS messages and e-mails. Almost unusably slow (in my opinion). Going to attempt to restore it to see if that rectifies the issue, but if not, I'll be downgrading.

If you have a 3G, hold off.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that, as far as I can discern, there's no actual benefit to iOS4 whatsoever for a 3G user (unless you want to use the iBook store or something?).
( Last edited by Cipher13; Jun 25, 2010 at 01:41 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2010, 01:22 AM

Holy shit. Who the hell dragged you out?

x user
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2010, 03:23 AM

Did a restore, then instead of using the backup, I transfered all my stuff over manually. Lost the txt message history, voicemails, and the like, but Tethering works now.

Huge improvement over 3.0.1 which I was using before, it was starting to get pretty glitchy. $20 a month for tethering is steep, but I can't be without it, and with my iPhone 4 coming, I figured I mind as well pony up now.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 25, 2010, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
If you haven't logged into your MobileMe account from the device then it's not known to MobileMe. So it's too late after the phone goes missing.
One does need mobileme, it doesn't work without it. But I'm on day 5 of the 60 day free trial and it works fine on an individual account but tracking 3 iPhones.
So you must have MobileMe before you lose your phone, but even the trial account works... That doesn't make this an easier decision.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2010, 07:16 AM

iOS 4 on my shiny new iPhone 4. Multi-tasking is the only real disappointment for me. Everything you've run is in the multi-tasking switcher. Translation: after a little while I have quite a few recent apps so now instead of scrolling through a couple pages with 10-15 apps each, I'm scrolling through 5 or 6 pages of 4 apps each. Not sure how that is suposed to be a speed up over just closing an app and opening another.

Forum Links
Forum Rules