Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 15' apple studio display with old VGA connection....

15' apple studio display with old VGA connection....
rich82fox
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2010, 08:40 AM

hi

I recently got a pair of apple studio displays 15' lcds

one of them has the standard vga connector that we all know

but the other has a wider VGA connector - I think it's old style Apple VGA

how can I attach this to a standard VGA video card?

rich
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GZ, 2GB RAM, 150 & 300 GB Internal Hard Drives, AGP Geoforce 5200 64MB Graphics Card, Superdrive.

-Q-
Jul 29, 2010, 09:36 AM

There were two different designs that used the name Apple Studio Display. Which kind?

This:

or this:

(And I'm betting it's an ADC connector - don't think you can use that with a VGA card.)

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
There were two different designs that used the name Apple Studio Display. Which kind?

This:

or this:

(And I'm betting it's an ADC connector - don't think you can use that with a VGA card.)
it's the first one you have pictured - but an older one with a multicoloured apple logo

I'm reckoning it's an old version of VGA

rich
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GZ, 2GB RAM, 150 & 300 GB Internal Hard Drives, AGP Geoforce 5200 64MB Graphics Card, Superdrive.

-Q-
Jul 29, 2010, 11:31 AM

Probably a DB-15 connector, then, if it's that old. You might be able to find an adaptor for that.

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2010, 12:25 PM

Probably a DB-15 connector, then, if it's that old. You might be able to find an adaptor for that.
yes that's the one. anyone have any idea where to get that adaptor?

also -I have two of these screens. The other one has a normal vga connector but has an intermitent problem. It keeps loosing the picture and going all strange colours across the screen, I have to shake the screen a bit to get the picture back.....is that a fualt with the screen or a loose connection inside it?

rich

reader50
Administrator
Jul 29, 2010, 12:53 PM

If shaking works, it pretty much has to be a loose connection or part somewhere. Solid state components ignore shaking.

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2010, 02:18 PM

any idea where can get a replacement power brick for that screen also?

rich

-Q-
Jul 29, 2010, 04:47 PM

Cables To Go might have what you need, but a quick search for the right adapter didn't pull anything up. Back when that was made, not too many people were buying Apple monitors to put on their PCs, so adaptors may be hard to come by.

As for a power supply, I'd start with eBay. The monitor was released 10 years ago - parts for it are probably rather rare.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2010, 11:14 PM

The one good thing about eBay is that you can get parts for outdated devices at a very low cost.

Forum Links
Forum Rules