Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Leopard Aqua Scrollbars removed!

Leopard Aqua Scrollbars removed!
hldan
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2007, 03:54 AM

Hi, got this link from someone on another forum. It's a simple fix to change the aqua scroll bars in Leopard to the ones in the iLife suite and iTunes. Worked great and looks much better. Here's the link for anyone. Sorry I don't have a pic.
RapidShare: 1-Click Webhosting
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2007, 04:00 AM

Have you personally tried it?

hldan  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2007, 04:04 AM

Yeah, I just installed it. No issues and looks great. Basically you are just replacing the rsrc file deep in the system folder. Here's a link to pics of it from the forum I found it from.
Leopard GUI Customizations - Page 3 - Notebook Forums and Laptop Discussion
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2007, 04:25 AM

Works well!
( Last edited by moonmonkey; Nov 11, 2007 at 04:35 AM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 11, 2007, 07:04 AM

Yeah a hiden, I was the first to do that in this very forum.

http://forums.macnn.com/94/gui-custo...ds-gui-thread/

Funny how "word" gets spread around

I posted my work in the same forum above too. Before it was posted.

MacThemes / Making the Finder Match iTunes...

I guess that is what I get for not putting out unfinished work.

BTW this file you linked to has only changed the LARGE scroll bars. Not the small ones. It's unfinished. It's one of the reasons I haven't given mine out yet. Not only that, there are a few more things that person needs to do to make it consistent with iTunes.
( Last edited by Kevin; Nov 11, 2007 at 08:19 AM. )

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2007, 07:18 AM

Perfectionist.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 11, 2007, 07:31 AM

I don't think I could really be called a perfectionist. Not really at all. If that was a case I'd be using an OS I could manipulate anything on. I am happy with consistency. Not perfection.

BTW not that there is anything wrong with perfectionists. They bring some of the finest quality to products.

Not only that, I have had people take "almost done" work I have given out, copy and paste resources, and then go into other forums and announce a new theme "they" put out in the past. So I am a bit gunshy. When I first made sosumi, I spent more time in the end chasing down people that ripped off my theme, then I did actually working on it. People have no respect these days.

Not that I made up the scroll bars in iTunes. So I don't care if people do that. They aren't copying me. And I am SURE that someone else had the same idea. As it's an obvious one. So I am not saying anyone here or there was copying me. I was just pointing out to the OP that in this VERY forum a week or so before that thread, people were doing the same thing he wrote a thread about. As if it was something new. I just told him that said person wasn't the first to do said mod.

Nor is it really complete.

Both me and swiz have been working on this very thing the past two weeks talking about it and actually doing it.

Having said that, at one time there used to be a respect for themers in general. For example, making a WinXP theme for OS X was a given. Someone was going to do it. The first person that attempted to do it was the person that "Got" to do it. If you know what I mean. No one stepped on others toes if you were already working on the idea.

Lots of themes that were great, and were just beginning to look good, were stopped because of people not respecting this.

It wasn't till those of us that actually took CHANCES when 10.5 came out, esp when we were told said themeing couldn't be done, and showed it could be done, did others try it out.

It's one thing to do it for your own computer because you've seen others have done it , and another to announce it as something NEW as if someone else hadn't already done it first.

It kind of puts a nose up at those that actually took the chance at first, and made the jump.

But isn't that how life is in general? It's usually never the true pioneers that get credit. But those that follow in their footsteps.

It would be nice if the people releasing these things would at least give a shout out or props to the people that they saw doing it first however.
( Last edited by Kevin; Nov 11, 2007 at 08:07 AM. )

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2007, 08:40 AM

If you and swiz make an iTunes toolbar style theme I will install it instead of this one.

This guy just got it out first.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 11, 2007, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
This guy just got it out first.
Actually we could have done the same thing he did a week ago. He just released it unfinished. I'd rather not have 10 different versions of the theme with with various increments missing in each one out there.

Then again I think said person doesn't have plans on going any further with it.

krove
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2007, 09:36 AM

OMG this looks so much better. I think Apple planned to overhaul these, but either didn't have the resources or wanted to wait until res independence is ready for mass consumption.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

krove
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2007, 09:38 AM

Oh, and I can't wait to try Kevin's version.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 11, 2007, 10:05 AM

Well it's not really "my" version. As I think me and swiz are going to come together on this. We talked about it, but I am waiting for his final word. I am only doing the PPC part of it. I think he is taking care of the intel stuff. And probably the ShapeShifter theme if and when Unsanity gets it working.

I don't mind working with others to make it easier for both parties. Esp with someone like swiz.

These things should be a joint, or unified effort anyhow IMHO.

Forum Links
Forum Rules