Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > ~ The official Tiger buglist

~ The official Tiger buglist (Page 4)
jon l. dawson
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2005, 03:41 AM

I found one! my very own bug!! confirmed it against Panther 10.3.9.
go to Sys prefs, accounts, change your account's real name. Exit prefs. Name updates in FUS corner but not in Apple menu ("Log out [real name]..")

my opinion thus far, I am still really excited about this release, I think it's excellent. None of the bugs are show stoppers to me, hope it stays that way.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2005, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by mAxximo
Crap. I restarted one thousand times and it's still taking 7-10 seconds to display the @#$%^ contextual menu. It's almost instant if I just select one item. If it's two or more it starts to lag accordingly. Grrrrrr.
You might have a contextual menu plug-in that's not Tiger-compatible....

Jernberg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2005, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by jon l. dawson
This you are suggesting is a Tiger bug? I'm confused too, you haven't clearly said what circumstances it does work under, and if whether or not you've ruled out the hardware or media because that's what it sounds like. You did a fresh install of what, Tiger, on your second hard drive? What about if you replace it with Panther, how does it work then?

� The disc gets stuck ONLY AFTER the screen energy saver has been activated (I've set this to happen after 15 mins idle time). When I activate the screen after idle time, the disc is stuck (due to a stuck process; /sbin/ umount/(media name). The process cannot be killed either, not even with the sudo command.

� Ejecting media (of any kind) works fine otherwise. If I set the Screen Energy Saver to "Never", my discs will probably never lock-up, and I will be able to reboot and shut down my system. BUT, since I have a Cinema Display with no separate power button (I need my computer to be on 24/7, but not my screen!) this is no valid option for me. I don't want an insomniac display�

This problem was not in Panther, not in Jaguar, and not in OS 9. It is not the reader, and not the media.

/Jernberg

johnt519
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2005, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by johnt519
Print to PDF is back now. I quit and relaunched Safari and all is good.

I'm still seeing those warnings though. I am able to print, but the delay in opening the Print dialog sheet is a bit unnerving...
I was able to get rid of those messages. Seems there a new CUPS configuration file, but it doesn't look like it replaced the existing one. This is what I did (in Terminal):

cd /etc/cups
sudo mv cupsd.conf cupsd.conf.mybackup
sudo cp cupsd.conf.default cupsd.conf

ps -ax | grep cups -- note the process number:
155 ?? Ss 0:02.23 /usr/sbin/cupsd

sudo kill -HUP 155 (restart the CUPS system)

Now choosing print almost instantly drops the sheet down and there isn't an error generated.

hellmachine
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2005, 09:11 AM

hi, i know this "bug". are you shure it's not a problem with your third party drive? i have the same problem with my nec 2500 drive. even in panther. so for me it's not a tiger problem. after i keep a cd/dvd in the drive for some time and the monitor goes to sleep or the screensaver starts, i can�t eject the media. typically i even have to restart because one application after the othewr dies starting with the finder.

Originally Posted by Jernberg
� The disc gets stuck ONLY AFTER the screen energy saver has been activated (I've set this to happen after 15 mins idle time). When I activate the screen after idle time, the disc is stuck (due to a stuck process; /sbin/ umount/(media name). The process cannot be killed either, not even with the sudo command.

� Ejecting media (of any kind) works fine otherwise. If I set the Screen Energy Saver to "Never", my discs will probably never lock-up, and I will be able to reboot and shut down my system. BUT, since I have a Cinema Display with no separate power button (I need my computer to be on 24/7, but not my screen!) this is no valid option for me. I don't want an insomniac display�

This problem was not in Panther, not in Jaguar, and not in OS 9. It is not the reader, and not the media.

/Jernberg

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
You might have a contextual menu plug-in that's not Tiger-compatible....
The only third party that I installed in Tiger is Default Folder X (which by he way works better than ever). I tried deactivating it and restarting but got the same 7-10 second lag when selecting more than one file...
Am I really the only one seeing this???

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2005, 10:38 AM

The only third party that I installed in Tiger is Default Folder X (which by he way works better than ever). I tried deactivating it and restarting but got the same 7-10 second lag when selecting more than one file...
Am I really the only one seeing this???
I didn't even know of this feature and I selected a folder with 600 5mp jpgs in it, select all, right clicked, selected slide show and it instantly comes up on a mdd 867. No lag, no beachball, just the slide show. Cool feature.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2005, 11:18 AM

400 MHz G3 iMac DV here.

Selected 99 jpegs in a folder

NO lag at all on the context menu; slideshow starts instantly.

Repeated on a different folder - same thing.

color me ****ing impressed.

I concur that mAxximo probably has some weird contextual menu plug-in installed that's causing problems.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2005, 11:21 AM

P.S.: selecting all those images and just grabbing them with the mouse and dragging them around is *instant* - no lag, no nothing. Again, on a 400MHz G3.

I believe that's another MAJOR Finder gripe finally fixed.

Jernberg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2005, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by hellmachine
hi, i know this "bug". are you shure it's not a problem with your third party drive? i have the same problem with my nec 2500 drive. even in panther. so for me it's not a tiger problem. after i keep a cd/dvd in the drive for some time and the monitor goes to sleep or the screensaver starts, i can�t eject the media. typically i even have to restart because one application after the othewr dies starting with the finder.
Well, that's odd because: It's no "third party" drive as such. It's the drive that came with the G5, a Pioneer DVR 106. And, the lock-up doesn't occur if only the screen saver has been started, only after monitor energy save.
Also, it worked fine in Panther and previous system versions.

I'm filing a case @ Apple Bugreport�

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
400 MHz G3 iMac DV here.

Selected 99 jpegs in a folder

NO lag at all on the context menu; slideshow starts instantly.

Repeated on a different folder - same thing.

color me ****ing impressed.

I concur that mAxximo probably has some weird contextual menu plug-in installed that's causing problems.
The only other thing I have installed apart form Default Folder X is Stuffit 9.0. The rest is a fresh install on a disk partition that didn't have OS X in it. So it's as clean as it gets.
Are any of you running Tiger from a partition?

hellmachine
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2005, 11:55 AM

yes like with mine in panther. its still in tiger. but i thought its because of my nec burner. before this burner i never had this effect...

Originally Posted by Jernberg
monitor energy save.
I'm filing a case @ Apple Bugreport�

zerostar
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2005, 11:57 AM

The only other thing I have installed apart form Default Folder X is Stuffit 9.0. The rest is a fresh install on a disk partition that didn't have OS X in it. So it's as clean as it gets.
Are any of you running Tiger from a partition?
Is your system done indexing all drives?

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar
Is your system done indexing all drives?
Tiger won't index other partitions, just the one the system is in. As unbelievable as it sounds.
Anyway, all my photos are in the Tiger partition so yes, they are all indexed.

hellmachine
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2005, 12:12 PM

i can confirm that. on my internal drive, only one partition got indexed. but it indexed the external three firewire drives fine. this would be no problem, if you have some option to manually select and idex drives.

Tiger won't index other partitions, just the one the system is in. As unbelievable as it sounds.

OreoCookie
Apr 28, 2005, 12:28 PM

You can be sure whether or not Spotlight indexes a certain drive if you open the Terminal as admin and type.
sudo -s ENTER
--> enter the admin's (!) password
mdutil -s /Volumes/[name of volume] ENTER

To enable or disable indexing manually, enter

mdutil -i on /Volume/[name of volume]

(Obviously, replace on with off if you want to disable indexing.) You can double-check by entering mdutil -s /Volume/[name of volume]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005, 12:32 PM

Good, at least there's a way of doing it...
How hard would have been to put it in System Preferences > Spotlight.
10.4.1 perhaps?

Orphu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2005, 12:47 PM

..is that I dont get the ripple effect when i drop a widget from the bar into the widget area...

*Sigh - some things huh!*

Why is this though..? Am i missing something...I must see this ripple effect on my machine or I will switch back to Xp (**ha ha ha ha yeah right **)

Everything else is fine and cranking along
-------------

Slab of slate, chalk and cloth

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2005, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Orphu
..is that I dont get the ripple effect when i drop a widget from the bar into the widget area...

*Sigh - some things huh!*

Why is this though..? Am i missing something...I must see this ripple effect on my machine or I will switch back to Xp (**ha ha ha ha yeah right **)

Everything else is fine and cranking along
Your graphics card doesn't support whatever-the-particular-service-that-offers-that-particular-animation-is, so it doesn't show up.

That's the thing about all this eye-candy: it's either free (in terms of CPU power), or it won't show up at all.

OreoCookie
Apr 28, 2005, 01:08 PM

Good, at least there's a way of doing it...
How hard would have been to put it in System Preferences > Spotlight.
10.4.1 perhaps?
Well, the partitions on my second machine (PowerBook) are indexed. So, do you have an OS installed on the other partitions? Maybe it switches it off if you have an OS on the other partitions ...

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005, 01:38 PM

Yes, I have Panther in the other partition...

Nerozwei
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2005, 02:33 PM

FCUK! Finder crashes on me everytime I try to access a volume on my external Firewire drive. Damn it! Safari scrolling is faster, though... Me like.

OreoCookie
Apr 28, 2005, 03:42 PM

Yes, I have Panther in the other partition...
My guess is that it doesn't index partitions which contain another OS which is quite sensible. It's your favorite thing to blame, permissions, I would suppose.

If you would index all files, you could index files that actually belong to someone else -- say a private letter of your partner or whatever. So rather than indexing things OS X is not sure that it's actually yours, it probably won't touch it. (Note: this is a bizarre mixture of educated guesses and conjectures.)

alephOne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2005, 03:43 PM

Your graphics card doesn't support whatever-the-particular-service-that-offers-that-particular-animation-is, so it doesn't show up.

That's the thing about all this eye-candy: it's either free (in terms of CPU power), or it won't show up at all.
CoreImage.

sweatervest
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2005, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
My guess is that it doesn't index partitions which contain another OS which is quite sensible. It's your favorite thing to blame, permissions, I would suppose.

If you would index all files, you could index files that actually belong to someone else -- say a private letter of your partner or whatever. So rather than indexing things OS X is not sure that it's actually yours, it probably won't touch it. (Note: this is a bizarre mixture of educated guesses and conjectures.)
Ok, this may have been covered, but does it index partitions (on your main hard drive) that have no OS, just files? If not, I suppose I can just index in the terminal, yes? Thanks

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2005, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
it's not crashy buggy, but it's buggy allright.
Best quote EVER!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2005, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by sweatervest
Ok, this may have been covered, but does it index partitions (on your main hard drive) that have no OS, just files?
According to Oreo's post five above yours, yes.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2005, 04:15 PM

P.S.: selecting all those images and just grabbing them with the mouse and dragging them around is *instant* - no lag, no nothing. Again, on a 400MHz G3.

I believe that's another MAJOR Finder gripe finally fixed.
That's awesome! I have archives of client images in a single folder and selecting them all is CRAZY. 7/10 times I have an issue of MAJOR lag in 10.3

Can't wait to get home! Clean install on a faster HD.

OreoCookie
Apr 28, 2005, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by sweatervest
Ok, this may have been covered, but does it index partitions (on your main hard drive) that have no OS, just files? If not, I suppose I can just index in the terminal, yes? Thanks
It did so on my secondary machine (PowerBook). My primary machine has only one partition. But indexing was even enabled on my FireWire drive.

xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2005, 05:47 PM

I have a Dock bug: right click on icon, select an option in menu, for example "Show in finder" - the icon stays magnified....

hellmachine
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2005, 05:51 PM

no, i don't...

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
Well, the partitions on my second machine (PowerBook) are indexed. So, do you have an OS installed on the other partitions? Maybe it switches it off if you have an OS on the other partitions ...

malique
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2005, 06:05 PM

Icon doesn't stay magnified for me �

but I have another one: in QT 7 (at least with .avis) sometimes sound drops for several seconds. It is not the file itself. By going back 10 secs and playing again it's all fine. Whenever the sound fails, pause and de-pause brings it back.

Even more: I LOVE the jump-10-secs-feature of VLC. Now that QT has a nice ffwd and rewind interface: what the hell am I supposed to do with it? It forwards nothing. Crap.

Smooth window size changes NOT with MPEGS, just .avis and such. Lame.

ɕɕɕ *°* for it is a human number. it's number is onethousandandtwentyfour. *°* ͋ƺ

Dual 1.8 // Dual Display // Dual Ears // Dual Nuts // Dual Everything

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2005, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
That's awesome! I have archives of client images in a single folder and selecting them all is CRAZY. 7/10 times I have an issue of MAJOR lag in 10.3

Can't wait to get home! Clean install on a faster HD.
Actually, I just tried again with a window in list view, all sub-folders opened, for a total of 160 items, and there was a definite lag - about a 1/4 second or so.

On my 400 MHz G3.

spectreman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2005, 07:33 PM

I can't send mail in Mail.app... anyone else having this problem?

Disregard... I fixed it.
( Last edited by spectreman; Apr 28, 2005 at 08:01 PM. )

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 28, 2005, 07:40 PM

1) Sometimes when you minimize a QT movie to the dock, it resets playback, and when you re-maximize again, it resets again.

2) Folder information is sometimes not updated correctly on the desktop, or in the Finder's icon view. I had 25 items in this folder, and then added one item, but the added item did not register consistently:

Even closing the Finder windows and re-opening them didn't help. I had to log out and then log back in to get it to display the right number of items.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2005, 08:20 PM

This is not true. All 5 of my partitions were indexed. And if it were true, why would they include the ability to remove a disk in the privacy tab from spotlight indexing?

Chris Grande
Senior User
Apr 28, 2005, 08:56 PM

I have a strange color issue, in som places the colors seem a little to 'vibrant'. Forexaple the green between NewsFire and iChat, Newsfires is much greener, along with the stock widget green and red and the delete button in Mail... very strange

I did a upgrade.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2005, 01:46 AM

I just noticed this morning after I had installed CocoAspell and restarted that my screen would remain dimmed. I don't know if this is related to CocoAspell or something different.

And also I noticed that Mail (if in the login items and set to hide) does not hide itself but remain open.

BTW. in the International(Formats)preferences; if I set the time seperators to colon then it does not work. I still get the dot as a seperator in the menubar.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2005, 01:57 AM

Dear everyone,

I think I got a performance hit in iPhoto '05 when I first installed it, although I'm not sure. The features do make up for it.

After an archive and install of Tiger, iPhoto '05 5.0.2 became slower. I mean glacially slow.

I deleted the iPhoto application and reinstalled/reupdated to 5.0.2. Now, it's back to the speed it was prior to Tiger.

powerbook911
Apr 29, 2005, 02:31 AM

Microsoft Word takes forever to start on my machine, after Tiger.
12" Powerbook G4 1.5 GHZ, 1.25GB RAM, 80g, Superdrive
17" iMac Core Duo 1.83 GHZ, 1.5GB RAM
20" Cinema Display
60g iPod w/Video
iPod Shuffle (512 MB)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2005, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by powerbook911
Microsoft Word takes forever to start on my machine, after Tiger.
Which one? Office X or 2004?

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 04:58 AM

Everytime I unplug my PowerBook G4 12" Alum, 867 Mhz. the brightness on the screen is reduced by 3 notches. I have set custom power settings for no energy saving measures when i unplug, but it still does this.

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

Orphu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2005, 06:52 AM

Yeah thought so...cheers for the reply...
-------------

Slab of slate, chalk and cloth

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2005, 08:05 AM

Has anyone else got a horizontal grey line through the menu bar at the top of the screen. Its one single line about 1 mm thick just below the middle of the bar.

Thanks - Michael

maverick808
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2005, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by mmurray
Has anyone else got a horizontal grey line through the menu bar at the top of the screen. Its one single line about 1 mm thick just below the middle of the bar.

Thanks - Michael
Yes, vile isn't it?

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2005, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by maverick808
Yes, vile isn't it?
I just realised its a feature not a bug - sorry.

Yuck.

Michael

egg
Apr 29, 2005, 09:41 AM

I have the same problem. Powerbook 1Ghz.. lots of RAM.

edit: opps, i didn't hit the quote button as i wanted to. This comment is refering to the context menu taking 10 seconds to become active when selecting multiple jpgs.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2005, 10:55 AM

Airport Signal
I've only just started using Tiger, but the first thing I noticed was that at my desk I now have one bar less than the full Airport strength. Before I had full signal. I am about 3 metres in a straight line from a D-Link 614+ router with no walls in the way.

Also, the Airport signal fluctuates when iChat is running and I'm losing it completely sometimes which is hugely irritating when you're making voice calls.

(Titanium PowerBook 867)

Citrix
As far as the Citrix problem goes, I can't boot the Citrix ICA application but I can login remotely by clicking the connection shortcut that I saved previously so functionally it's working fine for me.

Dave
I installed a demo of this a while back and thought I'd deleted it but I'm getting a message saying the Dave services failed.

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2005, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by egg
I have the same problem. Powerbook 1Ghz.. lots of RAM.

edit: opps, i didn't hit the quote button as i wanted to. This comment is refering to the context menu taking 10 seconds to become active when selecting multiple jpgs.
Crap...I hoped it was an isolated problem with my machine...
What makes it work fine for some and so bad for others?

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2005, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by SMacTech
This is not true. All 5 of my partitions were indexed. And if it were true, why would they include the ability to remove a disk in the privacy tab from spotlight indexing?
It is true, sorry. I'm not the only one reporting it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules