Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Anybody had their unlimited iPad data plan cancelled for random reasons?

Anybody had their unlimited iPad data plan cancelled for random reasons?
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2010, 04:37 PM

A bit paranoid here, for completely irrational reasoning. Are the events listed below going to provoke AT&T into bumping you into their <shudder> 2GB plan?
* credit card expiring, but being replaced
* missed payment
* streaming ~15GB per month (netflix, hulu)
* using VoIP, video chat
* tethering
* everything else I haven't imagined
Or does our cellphone co has a heart?

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 23, 2010, 05:50 PM

They may not has a heart, but they does has a bottom line (and maybe a little greed). If they cancel your data plan, you could just tell 'em to shove all their data plans, right? So why push a customer who's been around for a long time?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

finboy
Oct 23, 2010, 10:15 PM

I don't know about AT&T, but that's how ComCast does it. Any little thing changes your account and you're suddenly on the limited monthly bandwidth version.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2010, 10:19 PM

If you're tethering, aren't you technically violating the T&Cs ?

They could slap you with metered charges for tethering activities.

-t

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2010, 05:11 AM

How would you video chat without a camera? And as far as I know, tethering is also impossible.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2010, 09:11 AM

I mean, in the event of owning, in the future, a FaceTime iPad. Would you be able to take your microsim to the new ios device and avoid the bandwidth cap?
But the more realistic part of the question is. If you must change credit cards, will the account reset to the capped $15 or $25 option, no unlimited $30 option.
Will someone with experience speak up?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2010, 10:17 AM

I doubt that changing the method of payment (credit card) will change ANYTHING about the account.
When you pay your bill and enter new credit card information, you don't agree to new contacts terms.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 24, 2010, 10:39 AM

Just keep paying and they won't even notice. AT&T's billing is a separate monstrosity bureaucracy business unit which does not communicate with any of the rest of the corporation on anything like a real-time basis. And from my experience, the "service provision" units only find out whether or not you're paid up, not how you pay. I've been with AT&T/Southwestern Bell (the actual parent company is SWB-they bought Southern Bell and eventually the AT&T name) since 1995, and there hasn't been any change in how they operate. Up until early this year, they were headquartered here in San Antonio; but billing seemed to work out of Kansas City, Internet Services out of Dallas, and wireless out of somewhere else...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules