Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > R.I.P. My Macbook Pro?

R.I.P. My Macbook Pro?
JobakasChelicerae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2011, 11:51 PM

Hello, some water got spilled on my macbook pro this afternoon and I just wanted to know if anybody could give me a prognosis. In a panic I think I may have made a few mistakes. It was not a terribly large amount of water that fell on it and was somewhat filtered by my fridge to cut down on any minerals so I hope that will minimize the devastation. There was not so much water that there was any to pour out or anything, we instantly toweled it, and soon thereafter covered it in rice. Someone told me to do that that for wet electronics (supposed to work for phones to soak up moisture). I do not remember if it was plugged in at the time but it was definitely unplugged immediately afterward if it was. I tried turning it on but got nothing. Perhaps my biggest mistake (I expected it would take only a few hours to dry) was when I plugged it in to see if it would turn on then but on the bright/dark side the power cord's light did not come on so I don't believe any power was actually delivered in this mistep. I haven't messed with it otherwise (still sitting in rice in a laundry basket in the dining room). I never took out the battery (as some online sources have advised) but I don't know how to do that and it appears to entail opening the computer up. Since I know nothing of how computers work, I thought it best not to go meddling about inside. The fact that it would not even take a charge was worrisome to me though. So I just wanted to know what I specifically should expect, if there was anything more I could/should do, and if nothing else if any information stored on a macbook pro can be salvaged even if the machine itself cannot.

Sorry for the long-winded post and Thank You

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2011, 02:18 AM

OreoCookie
Jun 1, 2011, 03:37 AM

This is a frequently asked question. That's why we have a sticky thread. Please use that for discussion Closing …
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules