Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Battlefield 3

Battlefield 3 (Page 15)
Kevin Bogues
Senior User
May 22, 2012, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
The KH2002 would be the other AR recommendation per the forum (Bogues loves it, sek noticed how often he gets killed by it, and while I don't really have much of an opinion, my stats say I murdered with it), but its a co-op unlock.
Per the post I did earlier on the vertical recoil compared to the now nerfed FAMAS, The KH2002 is by far my assault rifle of choice (never mind... gun of choice). Its accuracy and control are unmatched in a burst fire AR in this game and with the right trigger finger it fires like a full auto, damage is decent and its main shortcoming is clip size and ammo, but with the Ammo "perk" its unmatched in the Assault class.

EDIT: Quote for Reference since we jumped pages
Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
KH2002 vs FAMAS (both w/ foregrip)

EDIT 2: 700 Posts...do we catch the Halo: Reach thread?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 22, 2012, 10:10 AM

Another awesome night. Rough time getting everyone onto the same team. I don't know if the official servers now rebalance, but it'll be a challenge to stay together even if we do.

First semi-oherent game of the night, Damavand Peak

The game ran so long I thought we played with extra tickets (The next game had stock, however). I don't understand how this game went 27 minutes and was a blow-out. Perhaps there were constant stalemates? Either way, that definitely my highest scoring game on stock settings.

Next came Caspian. Such a spread out map tends to play slow, and in this case it held true. For me the moment of the match was when apsolid was trying to RPG a tank that had snuck up behind us. Unable to help I just decided to run up to the tank in the hopes of distracting and freaking out the driver. I don't know if it worked, but he bailed after being disabled, and I cleaned him up before he flanked ap.

Note that sek had zero kills and the fourth best points in the lobby.

Our post fatness game was CQA on Sharqi. Our chopper work was a disappointment, but my vindictiveness managed to score 4 stinger kills, a rarity to say the least. This was a much harder fought game, constantly being outnumbered by tanks.

In the end we grabbed the top four slots in the lobby for the third time in a row; That's three indisputable Ace Squads. /feelsgoodman

(Bogues and I also had the beginnings of an epic run in attack chopper on Kharg Rush that was cut short by a kamikaze jet from our own team. In retrospect I'm beginning to wonder if it wasn't on purpose...)

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2012, 10:37 AM

To anyone : hows the flying going? I'm getting comfortable in helis - doubt that I could capture a flag with one though, but in jets I'm just going too fast to do any damage. Read a YouTube comment that one shouldn't hold the left trigger to brake, but you should tap it.

Think that I prefer vehicles to grunt work. Even stuff like the LAV, BTR and BMP are great fun.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 22, 2012, 10:41 AM

Terrorizing people in the choppers is great fun. Especially when you start strafing a little to close to the ground. Warthogs of the sky.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2012, 11:26 AM

So Dakar, what did you do for 3m33secs in the Skid Loader?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 22, 2012, 11:40 AM

Hunt.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 22, 2012, 01:11 PM

I'm pretty sure I've asked this before, but what do our now more BF3 experienced CoD expats have to say about the game now that they have some time and unlocks under their belt?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2012, 01:38 PM

Dunno if I should answer since I've only just started playing again, but here goes.

Psychologically speaking, its far less rage inducing than CoD. I hardly ever check the score in BF3 so I'm always surprised by the end. I can have loads of fun in a game and then find out that I didn't do that well kills or points wise. In CoD this was never the case.

There's much more variety in most of the maps. I'm not the greatest fan of Metro but the others, even Seine are fun to play. Maybe its the vehicles. I think that the rewards are well done. There's always something popping up on screen showing that you're actually doing something to help the team in some way.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 22, 2012, 02:22 PM

Yeah, not you. You're not comfortable with the game yet.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 22, 2012, 04:21 PM

I wish this game had a chart for gametype playing time the way it has one for classes. Bogues, I don't know how or why you play that much TDM.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
May 22, 2012, 05:03 PM

I wish this game had a chart for gametype playing time the way it has one for classes. Bogues, I don't know how or why you play that much TDM.
Generally Rush on the larger maps gets on my nerves, so I stick more to conquest and TDM, I seem to favor TDM mostly because I like the map set ups (ex. Bazaar, Metro, and Seine).

Also without a crew I seem to always get stuck with a terrible team/squad with no one really playing the classes, in TDM.... I run assault and kill people. Simple.

As far as Rush, I can get into a good Rush game but only if i have a decent group.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2012, 05:16 AM

Yeah, not you. You're not comfortable with the game yet.
So very true. Last night was HORRIBLE. Being spawn trapped in Conquest isn't fun. This morning things are going a bit better.

The Huey is, IMHO, a pile of shite. Not near as easy to control as the others. Slow and heavy, unless you have an engineer on board repairing, it seems to get rapidly exponentially worse as the health decreases. Dunno how many times I crashed while being flown.

Got thermal for the tank but haven't used it yet. Seems to be highly rated by the tank experts on Youtube.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2012, 05:40 AM

Seen a 100 star jobbie. Is this as rare as I think it is?

Battle Report - Battlelog / Battlefield 3

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 23, 2012, 09:36 AM

Generally Rush on the larger maps gets on my nerves, so I stick more to conquest and TDM, I seem to favor TDM mostly because I like the map set ups (ex. Bazaar, Metro, and Seine).

Also without a crew I seem to always get stuck with a terrible team/squad with no one really playing the classes, in TDM.... I run assault and kill people. Simple.
Blah. I think the maps are so bad for TDM compared to Call of Duty. As far as effectiveness, I feel completely helpless in TDM. In Conquest I can cap flags and stuff, and in Rush unless the team is mailing it in you can help but TDM is just horrible.

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
The Huey is, IMHO, a pile of shite. Not near as easy to control as the others. Slow and heavy, unless you have an engineer on board repairing, it seems to get rapidly exponentially worse as the health decreases. Dunno how many times I crashed while being flown.
I was piloting it last night on Noshahr Rush. The thing is just a black hole for your SPM. I spent 5 minutes just circling the M-COMs and barely anyone seemed to jump out for tactical position and my gunners got all of 1 kill. AFterwards I switched to the AMTRAC gunner and was infinitely more effective, even against their AA.

Got thermal for the tank but haven't used it yet. Seems to be highly rated by the tank experts on Youtube.
It's highly rated by this tank expert as well.

Seen a 100 star jobbie. Is this as rare as I think it is?

Probably not as rare as you think, though it is rare.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2012, 11:32 AM

Forgot to say, think I got done by a boat under map glitcher on Kharg. IIRC he actually planted C4 on the tank that I was in.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2012, 01:26 PM

Can someone explain the different figures given for the weapon stats on Symthic?

In particular the 3 numbers in a diagonal line below Mag and Reload and the green 18 with upside chevrons and the orangey/red 1st 3.0x
( Last edited by mattyb; May 23, 2012 at 01:46 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 23, 2012, 01:39 PM

Wrong pic?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2012, 01:46 PM

Corrected

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 23, 2012, 01:54 PM

Well the first two diagonals are reload time partially empty and completely empty. The rest I don't know.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 23, 2012, 02:50 PM

fatty you missed some awful 1000 ticket game on Metro last night. stogie defaulted to sniping, but I was on the attacking team, making sniping a bit more challenging. Still, I ****ed with the guy on the "left" side as much as possible. Made most of my kills repelling attackers at C, but I still managed 23 kills which ain't bad, all told.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2012, 04:56 PM

I'm pretty sure I've asked this before, but what do our now more BF3 experienced CoD expats have to say about the game now that they have some time and unlocks under their belt?
Well first and foremost this game is little to no fun at the beginning. You've got no idea what to do, no idea where to go, and when you get there you are hopelessly outgunned with both weapons and equipment.

However, once you get some unlocks (defib, motion tracker, C4, etc) along with some attachments for your weapons and a vague understanding about how to help your team win the game opens up wider than <insert sexual innuendo here>

With CoD you are always trying to be the top dog and secure the 'personal win' but in BF3 there is more a sense of purpose as a whole in order to secure victory. Case in point being my 0-4 4th place finish the other night. Like Matty said, you can have a riot of a time and then see that your K/D stunk for the game, but it didn't matter.

That said there is nothing, NOTHING, as frustrating as being in a losing game of CQ and seeing all three godforsaken tanks sitting at spawn. Think if a squad rolled out with three tanks at once, you could turn the tide and win the whole game. But no, zooming around in a jet doing dick-all for 30 minutes apparently excites certain people.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2012, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
But no, zooming around in a jet doing dick-all for 30 minutes apparently excites certain people.
So so true. This is actually a down side of the 'fun' aspect (IMHO). I spent a whole game using the SOFLAM for a friend who wanted to shoot down stuff with a javelin. He got in the 1000s and I got 300. And we lost.

I hate with a passion that you cannot have more class slots. The amount of time wasted re-configuring my Eng for anti-air or anti-tank or mines or repairing really pisses me off.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2012, 06:22 AM

KarpatenHirsch had something on his heli that wouldn't allow a lock-on with the IGLA. His team had 2 tanks and a heli up and we got beasted. I quit in disgust.

And notice the ranks of people on the winning team. Doesn't seem like BF3 balances skills/ranks evenly to me.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 24, 2012, 10:25 AM

Well first and foremost this game is little to no fun at the beginning. You've got no idea what to do, no idea where to go, and when you get there you are hopelessly outgunned with both weapons and equipment.

However, once you get some unlocks (defib, motion tracker, C4, etc) along with some attachments for your weapons and a vague understanding about how to help your team win the game opens up wider than <insert sexual innuendo here>
I wonder if my playing the beta until I was level 30 helped my love of the game. But either way, yeah , worst unlock system.

That said there is nothing, NOTHING, as frustrating as being in a losing game of CQ and seeing all three godforsaken tanks sitting at spawn. Think if a squad rolled out with three tanks at once, you could turn the tide and win the whole game. But no, zooming around in a jet doing dick-all for 30 minutes apparently excites certain people.
Word.

KarpatenHirsch had something on his heli that wouldn't allow a lock-on with the IGLA. His team had 2 tanks and a heli up and we got beasted. I quit in disgust.

And notice the ranks of people on the winning team. Doesn't seem like BF3 balances skills/ranks evenly to me.
No, the only balancing I see is between games if one team need players it will usually pull the squad the lowest cumulative score and move it to the other team.

---

Short night, but lots of action. My night began with a frustrating bout of Rush Defense on Noshahr. I opened up the game 16-0 defending out M-COMs and had several defuses. I have no idea what my team was doing that they were so bad, but we did have a guy in the AA being a complete pussy and hiding in the back of each set, not doing anything but waiting for the choppers (and he wasn't good at shooting them down either). I finished the game 40-15, 36 of which were all UMP kills on the ground. Unheard of defense. But no, we lost. No idea why. (A couple games later I would be attacking on Noshahr. In the middle of the third set I'll notice that the defense has abandoned their AA and take it. No idea why. Yes, we won)

The next game I got my revenge; Rush Attack on Seine, I jump in the LAV (before some idiot got in, thankfully) and opened up 23-0 through all four sets. The third set provided glaring insight into idiocy: A guy jumped into my LAV gunner seat, so I drove to B on the third set as soon as we could. And we sat there. Alone. At B. Doing nothing. The guy did not get out of the vehicle, did not arm the M-COM. People are idiots.

sek and Chris signed on and it was off to a marathon Metro game. The game was tied when we joined, but it was clear our team was being denied entry to the Metro coming from A. A few frustrated minutes and we decided to deploy some stealth. I equipped my smoke 320 and started clouding a path for us to take. After two attempts we made it to C and secured it. We then took B and started to even the score out. Sadly we lost A and then things went back down hill, until we were back in the same A rape position, so sek, chris, and I had to do it again. That time we held, and we won, fatty scoring a whopping 15k.

Last game of the night was ap, sevy, chris and I holding Wake Island. I jumped into the AA and between the attack chopper and I, gave the other team hell. ap and sevy had some trouble staying in the air, and I wonder if the enemy team wouldn't have run us over unopposed if I hadn't been as harassing them as much as possible in the AA. Half-way through the match, I had drawn enough ire that jets started targetting me.

The flip side is, their ground game was pretty weak – it looks like one of those typical too many guys in the air games. Chris did most of his work on the ground countering what little work they were getting done, and we had some of the best team work of the night coordinating between targets, letting everyone know what was going on where. I was lucky enough to score 4500 pts whoring the AA and by the end of the match we owned 4 of the top 5 spots on our team. A satisfying win.
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; May 24, 2012 at 10:33 AM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 24, 2012, 11:25 AM

matty, did you buy kit shortcut bundle?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2012, 01:15 PM

Don't answer that matty! It's a trap!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 24, 2012, 01:22 PM

*checks Jawbone's profile*

Edit: But... you liked the starter weapon.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2012, 01:26 PM

Yes, I bought the shortcut bundle and I'm still using the M27.

Don't judge me.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2012, 01:27 PM

...however, I did start using the RPK two nights ago.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 24, 2012, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
...however, I did start using the RPK two nights ago.
That's the other starter weapon.

I can sympathize with an unlock system that is so bad it would drive people to this, but I'm going to have to take issue with the picks. Any class is grindable on a 24/7 Metro server. Vehicles, however, are not, and they arguably benefit the most from unlocks. (I also understand not wanting to do co-op/play with randoms)

However, I made the mistake of looking up the price of the all-kits unlock. 2000 ms points. $25! To unlock guns already in the game! I can't even process that. It's $10 more than the B2K DLC! I never use this many exclamation points! That's more than a bargain bin game! For unlocks!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2012, 02:39 PM

The things I've used are the claymore and mortar, with which I've racked up a whopping one kill...combined. It was admittedly a complete waste of money. Also, even with the limited usage, I felt cheap for using it.

The BF3 unlock system requires an incredible grind for guys like myself who don't have a lot of time to play in the evenings, and it makes me miss CoD's unlock system, particularly Black Ops'.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2012, 03:04 PM

matty, did you buy kit shortcut bundle?
I did, and I give you permission to call me Matt.

I wanted the aircraft and tank unlocks. Yes its overpriced, but I'm so bad at this game that it would take me far too long to get them (especially the jet fighter stuff). Now the only excuse that I have for my lack of skill is my bad network connection (but even that isn't usable since dedicated servers provide a nice smooth gaming experience even when playing with the cousins across the pond).

While MW1/2/3 were about ranking up, I really really want to pwn in a chopper. With the bundle, I may have some a chance.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2012, 03:17 PM

Don't judge me.
Oh dear.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 24, 2012, 03:23 PM

The things I've used are the claymore and mortar, with which I've racked up a whopping one kill...combined. It was admittedly a complete waste of money. Also, even with the limited usage, I felt cheap for using it.
We just had a conversation the other night about how you felt cheap changing teams mid-match; How do you rationalize this?

I wanted the aircraft and tank unlocks. Yes its overpriced, but I'm so bad at this game that it would take me far too long to get them (especially the jet fighter stuff).
....but I don't see the vehicle stuff as unlocked on your profile.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2012, 03:33 PM

Oh dear.
Don't worry -- I said it in a Jerry Springer guest kind of way.

We just had a conversation the other night about how you felt cheap changing teams mid-match; How do you rationalize this?
I can't, which is why...

Also, even with the limited usage, I felt cheap for using it.
I regretted it very quickly, especially when I saw how little I received. I had no idea I was ONLY unlocking the guns and equipment for the Support class. For some reason, I didn't read up on it, and assumed I was getting ALL of the upgrades for the weapons as well.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 24, 2012, 03:35 PM

I regretted it very quickly, especially when I saw how little I received. I had no idea I was ONLY unlocking the guns and equipment for the Support class. For some reason, I didn't read up on it, and assumed I was getting ALL of the upgrades for the weapons as well.
OMFG, what assholes.

A bitter man would think EA purposely had DICE make the unlock system this bad.
Also, I'm a bitter man.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2012, 04:14 PM

....but I don't see the vehicle stuff as unlocked on your profile.
I noticed that. I promise that I have the aircraft and tank stuff. Been using thermal and proximity on the tank since I got it. Still haven't managed to shoot anything down though.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 24, 2012, 04:45 PM

Well, as long as you didn't get screwed...

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2012, 04:58 PM

Well, as long as you didn't get screwed...
Of course I got screwed. It is EA after all.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2012, 05:05 PM

Oh yeah, Bogues you are insane if you actually like TDM. Just had a round on NoseHair. What a cluster****.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
May 24, 2012, 06:46 PM

Oh yeah, Bogues you are insane if you actually like TDM. Just had a round on NoseHair. What a cluster****.
I wanted the aircraft and tank unlocks. Yes its overpriced, but I'm so bad at this game that it would take me far too long to get them (especially the jet fighter stuff). Now the only excuse that I have for my lack of skill is my bad network connection (but even that isn't usable since dedicated servers provide a nice smooth gaming experience even when playing with the cousins across the pond).

...insane?

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
May 24, 2012, 06:51 PM

OMFG, what geniuses.
Exactly what was heard in the EA conference room during the DLC meeting.

Wait.. What?!

EDIT: I think EA was looking for a something like Nintendo was pulling in.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2012, 05:05 AM

...insane?
Yeah. Me, Schizophrenic.

Watch, in a couple of days I'll go back to MW3 after complaining lots in this thread.

I know my weaknesses, admit to yours. Go on.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2012, 05:09 AM

OK, IMHO, the best way to train up on jets or helis is to look for hardcore servers for CQ with maps like Kharg or Gulf of Oman. Nobody ever comes in. I've just done 2 hours flight 'training' in helis. While I can't go as fast and as low as the experts on YouTube, I think that I've got the hang of it. All trees and telegraph wires are not created equally however. There are some you can go through and others will stop you dead.

I'll gladly fly the transport choppers as well, but unless the other team have no anti-air, they just go down too fast.
( Last edited by mattyb; May 25, 2012 at 05:21 AM. )

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2012, 07:18 AM

Sorry, just have to say that I can't get over how much fun it is flying the chopper about, around buildings, trying to avoid cranes etc.

Again, IMHO one doesn't 'control' the helicopter, one 'guides' it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 25, 2012, 09:44 AM

Weird, mostly boring night, last night. A lot of lopsided games with too high ticket counts.

Otherwise, we ran into a clan of 5 or 6 guys running the DART glitch, and I got hate mail after a game of rush because I went 52-8 mostly using the AMTRAC.

Chris, I looked at your profile. Judging from your progress, I think it'll take two more hours of in-game time on Recon to unlock the MAV.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 25, 2012, 10:59 AM

Oh, twice last night asked a random for ammo by using the back button and worked. Fantastic.

I have a couple tips for you guys that I just learned recently. Has to do with the AMTRAC.

First, if you're driving it, it has smoke to prevent lock-ons (also good for having passengers leave stealthily).
Second, as gunner, it has a secondary weapon that is actually more powerful than the first against infantry, an HMG. This is why I murdered people last night.
Third, I noticed on my big game last night, since the AMTRAC isn't an official class of vehicle, all points/kills you earn in it go towards whatever class you are, i.e. you can grind a class (like recon) using it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 25, 2012, 12:35 PM

I also forgot, Gilp gets Moment of the Night honors for going amphibian in the Vodnik while we were dominating on Noshahr.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2012, 02:36 PM

I'm currently driving to New Orleans, so forgive any spelling errors.

I hopped off suddenly lash night to watch more Justified with the wife only up realize a few seconds later than she was asleep for the night. I would've loved to run another two matches or so, even if they were lopsided or boring.

During the Metro CQ match, the opposing team set up a spawn beacon (that what it's called?) behind Alpha and 2 or 3 of them began sniping. I switched to Recon (which I almost never use) and rattled off a string ofl kills, including a point blank hipfire headshot on one who sneaked up behind me for a retaliatory knife attempt. It made me hungry to run Recon the next time I get to play.

After this weekend, I'm moving to a new house, and then working out if town for 2.5 weeks in June. I'm sure to get very little time in with the game. Story of my life.

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 25, 2012, 04:11 PM

I hopped off suddenly lash night to watch more Justified
Hey, you talking about the TV show with the US marshall Raylan Givens and his blonde girlfriend? It's set in Kentucky. I watch that too.

I like those more unusual cop shows. I haven't watched the latest episode as I usually tape them.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules