Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Battlefield 3

Battlefield 3 (Page 6)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2011, 08:25 PM

So I am very much digging Proximity Scan. Even if it's not saving my life (it is), it's giving me some extra kills here and there. I also ditched the LMG (or HMG, at the time), for Guided Shells. I assume they do less damage, but if I'm quick enough, they cover for the auto-loader when I do fire main - switch to guided - wait for lock - fire guided - fire main. Guided does seem to take forever to reload, though.

---

matty, been trying the SV98. Has grown on me a little. If I ever get the straight-pull bolt I think it'll be ok. 'Course, I may have unlocked a new gun by then.

Oh, speaking of guns, the prospect of grinding through co-op to get a few of the co-op only guns for multi has also left me sour on the game's unlock system.

Not counting TDM (which I was awful at), I've been getting Top 3 in a lobby roughly 1/3rd of time, which is insane.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2011, 02:07 PM

I like planting mines.

Mwahahahahahahahahaha.

WTF is the difference between the M4A1 and the M4? Huh?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 1, 2011, 02:10 PM

I have yet to see mines work, either way.

The M4A1 is full out and single shot, M4 is burst fire and ?

Nice MVP. Shame your team sucked.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2011, 03:00 PM

What are you clicking on to see game/team stats?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2011, 03:02 PM

Ah Battle reports.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 1, 2011, 03:03 PM

Home page of your profile has recent games. Just figured that out today.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2011, 03:08 PM

28 knife kills. You're a beast Dakar.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2011, 03:12 PM

Damn, I though that I spent a lot of time in tanks!!! 3x more than me and over 10x the kills. What do you like better, gunner or driver?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 1, 2011, 03:15 PM

As I commented earlier, I should do it as often as I do. But I've already gotten a few doubles on unsuspecting squads.

Oh – speaking of squads, had a sequence on Metro where a bunch invaded left locker room (when you're on defense in Rush), and we couldn't clear the ****ers out as they kept poop-spawning in, so finally one killed a guy around the M-COM inset and ran inside, so I followed and threw some C4 on the outside wall, ran away and detonated. BOOM 500 pts for a quad kill. Disappointed it wasn't a squad wipe, though.

Had a few multi (more than one) kills with C4 that game. US spawn blows and teams like to try and work up the stairs (next to the locker room) rather than the escalators, so occasionally I'll just pop out, chuck a C4 and detonate as fast as possible.

Edit: It was this game - https://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf...1/2/188389884/
I have no idea what the MVP of the other team was doing... I never ran into him and they only managed to steal B once or twice.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 1, 2011, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Damn, I though that I spent a lot of time in tanks!!! 3x more than me and over 10x the kills. What do you like better, gunner or driver?
Depends on the Driver, but with the recent unlocks I feel beast in the prime spot. Only problem is as Driver, I'm hard pressed to actually get a gunner, let alone one that knows to heal me once we go under 30% health.

Given I scored almost 10k points as driver last night, I'll stick with that. (Had the pleasure of one shotting a few idiots in Jeeps)

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Oh – speaking of squads, had a sequence on Metro where a bunch invaded left locker room (when you're on defense in Rush), and we couldn't clear the ****ers out as they kept poop-spawning in, so finally one killed a guy around the M-COM inset and ran inside, so I followed and threw some C4 on the outside wall, ran away and detonated. BOOM 500 pts for a quad kill. Disappointed it wasn't a squad wipe, though.
Wait, aren't squads made of 4 people? Or is it 5?

This game is sounding more like Homefront. I used to have the same fun with C4 in Homefront. In fact there were a few places in Ground Control on Homefront where I would use C4 to protect myself. See an enemy, and use the charge to get them.

Or using C4 to blow up Humvees or LAVs.

If MW3 wasn't coming out in a week, I would have got this. Maybe I'll buy it cheap, early next year.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
If MW3 wasn't coming out in a week, I would have got this. Maybe I'll buy it cheap, early next year.
I like it, but it isn't a CoD replacement. I doubt that there will be half as many BF3 on-line players early next year. Speaking of, anyone found out how to see the number of on-line players in BF3?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 1, 2011, 04:21 PM

Wait, aren't squads made of 4 people? Or is it 5?
Obviously someone was away from his squad.

This game is sounding more like Homefront.
Other way around. Homefront was like this game.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2011, 04:53 PM

Dakar, do you find that people never talk? I haven't heard a soul since playing BF3. Nothing like MW2 or Blops.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 1, 2011, 04:55 PM

I've heard about three people in around 18 hours of play. One was an asshole, one was kinda excited college guy and the third said maybe three words.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2011, 05:02 PM

Most of the people on MW are playing terrible loud incoherent music or yelling into the microphone or there is just static

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 1, 2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dex13 View Post
Most of the people on MW are playing terrible loud incoherent music or yelling into the microphone or there is just static
Yes, they visited the beta, when the only to mute them was to figure out who they were and go into the Dashboard and do it. I had a game where half my team left within a minute of some guy joining with an utterly broken mic.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2011, 06:09 PM

I will be attempting to fly.

For more than 10 seconds per game.

You have been warned.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2011, 05:05 AM

Spotting, is THE most important part of the game. Use that back button people !!!!!!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2011, 09:55 AM

28 knife kills. You're a beast Dakar.
Make that 37.

Finally ran into a guy with an auto-loader for shells on his tank. It wasn't a massacre but I believe he beat me soundly. Decisions, decisions. That proximity scan led to me destroying a team in Damavand Tunnels.

---

I think I, too, might try some 'coptering tonight. It's come to the point where I need to do some leveling to those "classes", and I'm not really all that hard-up for leveling at this point.

---

Really starting to fall in love with SV98. Given Conquest's somewhat slower (or less forced) pace, I've had a few opportunities to use it. Having to focus on headshots really teaches you to take your time and aim. Had a fantastic long-ass headshot on Tehran on a guy hustling. You actually can watch your bullet travel (and curve) to a certain degree.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2011, 10:04 AM

Make that 37.
Bravo.

Really starting to fall in love with SV98. Given Conquest's somewhat slower (or less forced) pace, I've had a few opportunities to use it. Having to focus on headshots really teaches you to take your time and aim. Had a fantastic long-ass headshot on Tehran on a guy hustling. You actually can watch your bullet travel (and curve) to a certain degree.
With the long-range shots, how are you doing for estimating the elevation required? A PC playing BF player has told me that the lines on the scopes and the size of the person in the crosshairs can somehow equate to the distance, and then you adjust for that.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2011, 10:08 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2011, 11:21 AM

Bravo.
Not bad for one night's work, eh?

With the long-range shots, how are you doing for estimating the elevation required? A PC playing BF player has told me that the lines on the scopes and the size of the person in the crosshairs can somehow equate to the distance, and then you adjust for that.
That's true, but I find that I'm constantly over-compensating. I think all the way to mid (maybe middle-long) range aiming at the head is fine, once you get towards long-mid, aim at the top of the head (but not above), and then at long a little above. Can't say I've really had very long range opportunities.

Not really impressed. Mostly because it doesn't make any damn sense. Does it say if its PC or console?

Supposed weapon stats: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...der=true&gid=0

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2011, 11:48 AM

Not bad for one night's work, eh?
Yeah yeah rub it in won't ya.

Not really impressed. Mostly because it doesn't make any damn sense. Does it say if its PC or console?
Seem to be more vids from the PC than console but the guy has other vids which are from his Xbox.

No M40A5 stats, from what I gather (been watching the youtube sniping vids this morning) this weapon is a beast. I may try the SV98 a bit more. Surprised to see that I've gotten 9 kills with it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2011, 11:57 AM

Yeah yeah rub it in won't ya.
If it makes you feel any better at least two or three of those were Assassin's Creed style "massacre"s where I knifed a dude knowing his team mate would shank me while in animation.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2011, 04:30 PM

Just when I think that I'm doing sort of OK, everything goes to pot. I really can't put a strategy in place to use and be successful with. Bit frustrating. I'm trying NOT to use the engineer and focus on getting the SV98 attachments, but its painfully slow. Got the MAV. For the points that you get, its hard work. I'm doing a lot of spotting as well, but FFS 10 points if somebody kills your spotted opponent.

ATM its nearly as annoying as the FMJ challenges in MW2.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2011, 04:36 PM

Yeah, Recon isn't balanced as far as points are concerned. It's very much a grind. At the very least there should be a bonus for spotting as recon, seeing as it's basically the description.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2011, 05:32 PM

And the looooooosing streak goes on, and on, and on ...

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2011, 05:45 PM

MVP to a guy with an Eagle, like the US one holding bolts of lightening. No rank number next to him.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2011, 05:47 PM

Sounds like max rank. Colonel, I believe.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2011, 05:50 PM

5th game tonight where I've lost connection. What am I cursed? F u c k EA.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2011, 05:53 PM

So much for their vaunted improved uptime. (Didn't have any problem last night)

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2011, 06:01 PM

I got into games easily, but they were very laggy.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2011, 06:04 PM

Try using the server browser instead. It'll show ping of the server before you join.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2011, 06:05 PM

I'll see if I want to put myself through any more torture after a smoke.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2011, 11:43 AM

I'm a looooooooooooooooooooooser.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2011, 11:51 AM

I was going to post that when I saw it last night. That's epic suckage. Do you stick with a lobby when your team sucks? If my team doesn't make some close games within two attempts, I'm outta there. Life's too short to be the only guy worth a damn on the team.

(Last night I had the displeasure of watching some guy experience the "9 year-old amazed he's interacting with a video game online" where he occupied one of our two tanks and rolled around spawn destroying vehicles with it. We blew a winning game, too.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2011, 04:34 PM

In Rush I'd use it only on defense. Find a good spot, deploy bipods, kill shit. Gets twice as fun once you have the infrared or a decent scope.
Once again I'm struggling. Not a happy player atm.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2011, 04:36 PM

This game only seems to have let you play well enough in the beginning to think it was good. Now it's turned on you.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2011, 04:37 PM

I was going to post that when I saw it last night. That's epic suckage. Do you stick with a lobby when your team sucks? If my team doesn't make some close games within two attempts, I'm outta there. Life's too short to be the only guy worth a damn on the team.
You've seen my stats, I'm one of the shit players. Dunno why but the last few nights I've just gone really really downhill. Everyone feels so much faster, swapping weapons, getting up, reloading etc. As still nobody is talking. It seems like a free for all in both Rush and CQ.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2011, 04:38 PM

This game only seems to have let you play well enough in the beginning to think it was good. Now it's turned on you.
You read my mind sir.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2011, 04:46 PM

You've seen my stats, I'm one of the shit players. Dunno why but the last few nights I've just gone really really downhill. Everyone feels so much faster, swapping weapons, getting up, reloading etc. As still nobody is talking. It seems like a free for all in both Rush and CQ.

Time to find a BF3 clan. That'd do the trick.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2011, 04:57 PM

Or trade it for MW3.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2011, 05:02 PM

You're pathetic.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2011, 05:37 PM

You're pathetic.
lol. You're so right.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2011, 06:31 PM

I logged on the the co-op to practice flying on the second co-op mission (at the expense of whoever was on the other end). Didn't do too bad, but the kid was a little bitch. Unless he's god with a helicopter he seemed oblivious to the fact that the damn thing is impossible to hover with.

Worst of all, we got near the end (maybe – the missions feel long and boring), and I finally lost control trying to turn around faster (because he was bitching) at which point I finally crashed and he says, "You suck."

Oh, ok buddy. I'm surprised he didn't send me a message after I left the lobby.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2011, 04:58 AM

I know why I was doing well in the beginning with snipers. I can actually SEE the opposing team. Maps like Metro or even Seine Crossing, when people are inside building or in doorways, I struggle with. As an engineer on maps with warehouses, I always get killed indoors. I switched back to snipers on a few maps where I felt my vision wasn't too good and didn't get pwned as much. I didn't do well, but I didn't feel like I'd been the victim of a large scale bukake party. I may try the 4x or 3.4x scopes on the assault rifles to see how I do. The successful players in the matches that I played always seemed to use silencers. Nothing like staying off the map when you shoot.

I tried a bit of flying and got shot down several times by a tank when using the heli. Just when you think that you're doing OK, someone teaches you a lesson. Now I also tried the planes and I think that I've found how to be better - don't use the left thumb stick. At all. I managed to fly much longer than previous trials. No I didn't kill anything but controlling the beast was much easier.

While I wouldn't say that this has changed my views on BF3 (I'm just not good enough for this game), I shall play it until MW3 comes out.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 4, 2011, 12:38 PM

Had a couple of interesting games last night. Played a game on Damavand where the enemy grabbed a helicopter and went straight for our control point off spawn. It damn near worked for them, too. The pilot seemed to spend the rest of the game air dropping in players. It was a brutal game and my side was pretty much clocked. Still came damn close to Top 3 (4th). Spent most of the match running killing enemies in our own spawn.

---

The other good game was on Metro. Surprisingly from the US spawn (which sucks because you have to fight your way up the escalators), we quickly grabbed the first two control points and then worked our way outside and actually captured the third. Some smart enemy players made a run to C (our first point), but I backstabbed one as he made his run, than flanked another and pistoled him right before they got control. After that they were pretty deflated. Spent the entire match as medic making mad bank healing, and was practically racing other guys for revives. Once we got outside it very hectic and I spent a lot of time running from point to point dropping heals and doing the occasional revive (while dodging bullets). It was probably a little Saving Private Ryan.

All in all, a great team effort, and one of the best tasting wins yet. 260 tickets left when it was over.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2011, 09:28 AM

All in all, a great team effort, and one of the best tasting wins yet. 260 tickets left when it was over.
I finally figured out that in CQ its not the flags that you capture (those are just so the players can get extra points) its running the enemy down to 0 tickets.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2011, 03:17 PM

Just can't seem to get an MVP ribbon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules