Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cube/Faulty Radeon -- Will Apple replace it?

Cube/Faulty Radeon -- Will Apple replace it?
saltines17
Senior User
Sep 27, 2002, 07:48 PM

If I'm still within the three years of AppleCare, will Apple replace a faulty Cube Radeon even though they're out of production?

Gracias.

FXWizard
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2002, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by saltines17:
If I'm still within the three years of AppleCare, will Apple replace a faulty Cube Radeon even though they're out of production?

Gracias.
I think the law requires companies to provide spares for a certain number of years (7?) after discontinuing a product so you should be okay -- in a worst-case scenario you should be able to get them to replace your Cube with a Mac of equal or greater capacity if they can't replace the video card...

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 27, 2002, 10:03 PM

Gracias.
yes
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Deal
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2002, 10:25 PM

They have parts for a lot longer than 3years. They still have parts for PowerMac 7200s (just not for free)

Contact an Apple Service Provider.

By the way, what's wrong with it?

saltines17  (op)
Senior User
Sep 28, 2002, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by Deal:
They have parts for a lot longer than 3years. They still have parts for PowerMac 7200s (just not for free)

Contact an Apple Service Provider.

By the way, what's wrong with it?
It's basically dying; weird lines keep appearing on the screen and the hardware test disc says it only has 16MB of ram.

So would I be able to take the Radeon to an Apple Retail Store and get a replacement there? Or would I have to call Apple and mail it?

Thanks again for the help!

Macanoid
Senior User
Sep 28, 2002, 12:19 PM

I had a similar problem about a year ago. Just replaced the broken fan with a passive heatsink, Now I have a completely silent Cube again

saltines17  (op)
Senior User
Sep 28, 2002, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by Macanoid:
I had a similar problem about a year ago. Just replaced the broken fan with a passive heatsink, Now I have a completely silent Cube again
My fan isn't broken though...?

I just wanna know if I can take it to my nearby Apple Store, that's all

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2002, 01:08 PM

My fan isn't broken though...?

I just wanna know if I can take it to my nearby Apple Store, that's all
You could always resort to calling the store and asking.

saltines17  (op)
Senior User
Sep 28, 2002, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by aaanorton:

You could always resort to calling the store and asking.
Hmm... that's quite true... off to the phone now...

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2002, 08:55 PM

I had the exact same problem with my Radeon Cube a year ago -- weird lines appearing in the display, and finally no video whatsoever. Hardware test also showed my video card with just 16MB of RAM. When I called Apple Support, the tech thought he could just send me a new video card, but then discovered that I did indeed have to return the Cube to Apple. (They don't consider the Cube video card user-installable.)

FWIW, the repair was as painless as Apple could make it; I think I sent them the Cube on a Thursday, they repaired it and shipped it Friday and I had it back Monday.

saltines17  (op)
Senior User
Sep 28, 2002, 09:34 PM

Not user-installable, eh... teehee

I left my Cube at a local Apple Store, so hopefully all goes well.

JC Denton
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2002, 01:18 AM

Not user-installable, eh... teehee

I left my Cube at a local Apple Store, so hopefully all goes well.
Just in case you're wondering what your AppleCare saved you, I asked the Apple Store at Woodfield how much it would be to get a replacement Radeon to replace my dead card. I think they wanted $280 for the card, plus $200 to install it in the Cube. It might have been the other way around, but all I know is I wasn't about to spend almost $500 on my Mac. Thank goodness for Mac-Pro and OEM GF2s.

Glad to see you're getting a Radeon...what's the warranty on the new card? Hopefully you won't need it, but you never know.

saltines17  (op)
Senior User
Sep 29, 2002, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by JC Denton:

Just in case you're wondering what your AppleCare saved you, I asked the Apple Store at Woodfield how much it would be to get a replacement Radeon to replace my dead card. I think they wanted $280 for the card, plus $200 to install it in the Cube. It might have been the other way around, but all I know is I wasn't about to spend almost $500 on my Mac. Thank goodness for Mac-Pro and OEM GF2s.

Glad to see you're getting a Radeon...what's the warranty on the new card? Hopefully you won't need it, but you never know.
Yikes... good thing I spent the $250 or whatever it was on AppleCare... I don't know what the warranty is on the new card, but post when I find out

Forum Links
Forum Rules