Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Best way to fade audio clip in OSX

Best way to fade audio clip in OSX
kman42
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2002, 04:54 PM

I'm making up an xmas DVD for the parents and I have some music that I want to add to a few of the menus. I've made 30 second audio clips using QT Pro, but I would like to put a 3-4 second fade at the end so that it doesn't end abruptly. What's the best way to do thi? I have all fo the iApps and QT Pro.

thanks,
kman

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2002, 05:49 PM

You can apply fades with a sound editing program such as Sound Studio (shareware)...

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2002, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by besson3c:
You can apply fades with a sound editing program such as Sound Studio (shareware)...
I know squat about sound/audio so I want something free and basic. Opinions about apps, including Sound Studio?

kman

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 15, 2002, 06:11 PM

Sound fades are not built in to iDVD?
I've never used it, I'm just suprised. Seems like a basic function.

TiSteve
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2002, 07:01 PM

iDVD looks to use just a prepared audio sample for the sound on the menu. Given that the App is just meant to format for DVD burning, not sure they would want to complicate it by putting to many sound editing features in there.

I am surprised that the QT Pro can not do something like this. I mean besides importing and exported audio formats, they do have a basic trim functionality. Would it be so much more to add a couple of basic effects like fade in and fade out?

Oh well. My recommendation for a basic sound editing program (which is free) is Audacity. I use it for those little effect type things, cutting up, trimming and fading in and out audio samples. Also some other effects that someone with more knowledge might appreciate. I know it imports from at least MP3, AIFF, WAV formats and it can export into AIF which you can drop into iDVD no problem. You might want to check it out side it sounds like what you are looking for.

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2002, 07:13 PM

You can try the free version of Spark. I think it does what you need.
~BS

JeremyA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2002, 09:55 PM

If you want to do this with one of the iApps you could try iMovie. This app has some basic sound editing functions including fade in/fade out. No need for an actual movie, just start the app and create a new blank movie. Select 'import file' from the menu to get your sound file. Select the part of the sound that you want and check the 'fade out' box, then export as a quicktime movie. You can then use QT Pro to convert the sound to any file type that you want.

Jeremy

OSxRulz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2002, 03:59 PM

I'd check those menus again bro.... i do fading all the time in QT pro.... and I use soundedit16 to do more complicated editing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules