Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Avatar

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2010, 01:28 PM

Yowza. Avatar still was able to pull in $7.7 million domestic over the weekend. With a month or two more of this, it could actually get into the top 12 domestic of all time (after inflation is considered). That would put it ahead of Empire Strikes Back and Ben-Hur. It's already ahead of Return of the Jedi.

It would also get within spitting distance of 101 Dalmations which is in 11th place, but I don't think it can knock off Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs to get into the top 10.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2010, 10:25 AM

Avatar is still in theatres (in fact still more than 2000 theatres in North America at last count), but Fox is already considering a summer re-release with a longer version.

James Cameron and Fox are in discussions about rereleasing "Avatar," primarily in 3D theaters, in late summer -- and, tantalizingly, with additional scenes that had been left on the cutting-room floor in the rush to ready the epic for its Dec. 18 release.

The impetus for a rerelease is the feeling that, even though "Avatar" is the highest-grossing movie of all time, producers could have raked in even more money had they been able to hold on to the digital and Imax 3D screens that were lost when Disney opened "Alice in Wonderland" in 3D on March 5.

As for how much additional footage Cameron might add to "Avatar," the guessing began early Thursday when Imax CEO Richard Gelfond said during a Gabelli & Co. investor conference in New York that Cameron had about 40 minutes of additional material that didn't make the theatrical cut. He also predicted a rerelease, which he said probably would occur in the fall.

Cameron had said that he had 10-12 minutes of extra scenes that he cut and could quickly put through postproduction and have ready to add to a director's cut for a theatrical reissue or as an extra on the DVD release. One scene has to do with Jake Sully's avatar proving himself to the Na'vi people; the other involves a native festival during which tribe member Tsu'tey gets drunk.

The maximum length a movie can be released in analog Imax theaters is 170 minutes -- a number Cameron was aware of when he made his original edit -- so he could add about 10 minutes to the 160-minute current run time and still be in all Imax locations. That seems more likely than trying to add as much as 40 minutes.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2010, 09:54 PM

Freakin A, 40 minutes of extra content would be awesome.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2010, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Avatar is still in theatres (in fact still more than 2000 theatres in North America at last count), but Fox is already considering a summer re-release with a longer version.[/i]
3D Torture Cinema.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2010, 12:23 AM

Avatar has hit $746.4 million, and has knocked out Ben-Hur ($745.8 million) for 13th spot for all-time inflation-adjusted domestic receipts.

Avatar will also likely knock The Empire Strikes Back out of 12th place in the next week or two, given that it only needs another three quarters of a million $ to do so.

BTW, on Saturday, Avatar got over $1100 per theatre. That's pretty damn impressive for a movie that's been out for well over four months (18.4 weeks). To put that in perspective, the well-reviewed Kick-Ass only got $1270 per theatre this Saturday, which is only its second Saturday.

P.S. Anyone here buy the Blu-ray yet? Cuz lots of people have. Avatar has broken the all-time Blu-ray sales record in just four days. It has sold 2.7 million copies in USA and Canada, which is more than The Dark Knight has sold since release. Avatar also sold 1.5 million copies on the first day, which is 250% as much as much as The Dark Knight did.

I'll probably get it sooner rather than later, but I'm in no particular rush. The disc is supposed to be reference quality for video (and audio), but includes absolutely no extras whatsoever, and judging by the reviews, the lame dialogue remains just as lame on second (2D Blu-ray) viewing.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2010, 08:26 AM

So it's the new Titanic.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2010, 08:32 AM

Adjusted for inflation, Titanic is way ahead, in 6th place and at $976.7 million, just a smidgen ahead of Jaws.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2010, 09:45 AM

Avatar has hit $746.4 million, and has knocked out Ben-Hur ($745.8 million) for 13th spot for all-time inflation-adjusted domestic receipts.

Avatar will also likely knock The Empire Strikes Back out of 12th place in the next week or two, given that it only needs another three quarters of a million $ to do so.

BTW, on Saturday, Avatar got over $1100 per theatre. That's pretty damn impressive for a movie that's been out for well over four months (18.4 weeks). To put that in perspective, the well-reviewed Kick-Ass only got $1270 per theatre this Saturday, which is only its second Saturday.

P.S. Anyone here buy the Blu-ray yet? Cuz lots of people have. Avatar has broken the all-time Blu-ray sales record in just four days. It has sold 2.7 million copies in USA and Canada, which is more than The Dark Knight has sold since release. Avatar also sold 1.5 million copies on the first day, which is 250% as much as much as The Dark Knight did.

I'll probably get it sooner rather than later, but I'm in no particular rush. The disc is supposed to be reference quality for video (and audio), but includes absolutely no extras whatsoever, and judging by the reviews, the lame dialogue remains just as lame on second (2D Blu-ray) viewing.
I'm sorry, but Blu-ray is dead. I read it on an internet forum somewhere, so it must be true.

I still haven't seen Avatar, so I might just buy the Blu-ray. As soon as Apple adds them to their Macs.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2010, 04:19 PM

I tried to watch with my wife and two friends on release day, and I fell dead asleep within 30 minutes. I woke up to the sight of...

I have no idea what the middle 2+ hours of the movie is like, but I'm guessing I'll try it out on Blu-ray. I could barely even hear the dialogue coming from my friend's crappy TV. Watching the CGI-heavy, technological achievement of a movie in standard resolution, being displayed on a TV hanging 8-feet high on their wall from a low couch seemed to defeat the purpose.

Brien  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2010, 12:49 AM

A re-release, ugh?

And as for the Blu-ray, I'm skipping both this barebones version (great PQ or not) and the November "special edition" in hopes that the 2011 Blu-ray 3D version will be the version to own. Knowing Fox, however, they'll probably quintuple dip with this movie.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2010, 10:13 PM

I watched Avatar for the first time via DVD. I liked it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2010, 11:42 AM

With an estimated $635000 in receipts last weekend alone, it's now at $747.3 million, just ahead of Empire Strikes Back after adjusting for inflation. Remarkable.

I wonder if it could hit $750000, just for bragging rights. Give it another month or two, and it could achieve that. However, even if it does hit $750 million, I'm thinking it likely won't hit $760 million, which is what is needed to match 101 Dalmations. For comparison, Jaws is at $974.7 million, ET is over a billion, Star Wars is at $1.355 billion, and Gone With the Wind is a whopping $1.538 billion for adjusted domestic receipts.

On the home front, Avatar on Blu-ray is causing a lot of problems with existing Blu-ray players. I wonder how long it will take all the companies to get all the firmware updates out.
( Last edited by Eug; May 3, 2010 at 11:49 AM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2010, 11:07 AM

It stopped just short of $750000, closing on Aug. 12 at $749 766 139 domestic, and $1 990 639 582 foreign, for a total of $2.74 billion.

However, it's being re-released in theatres with 9 mins of extra footage.
And yes, this will be on the new Blu-ray/DVD re-release a few months from now.

Avatar: Special Edition, which includes 9 minutes of new footage, opens in 3-D theatres worldwide Friday.

“I'm trying to use the technology to keep people interested and enthused about the ‘Avatar' universe, because it's going to be a long time before we get another Avatar movie done,” the filmmaker said in a recent interview.

The new footage is sprinkled throughout the movie. One bit focuses on the death of one of the planet's native humanoids, the tailed, blue Na'vi. His death is hinted at in the original film, but in the extended version, “We actually see him die,” Cameron said.

“Not like he splats to the ground, but how they gather around him afterwards,” he said. “It's this big emotional scene and it's actually the best CG we did in the whole movie.”

Another scene follows a hunt for one of Pandora's bizarre creatures in a “rousing action-adventure, pulse-pounding kind of scene,” he said.

The extended version will appear on a special-edition DVD to be released in November. It will also include a more expanded, “alternate reality version” of the film that is 16 minutes longer than the original, Cameron said.
( Last edited by Eug; Aug 23, 2010 at 11:13 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules