Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Jesus's Body Found?

Jesus's Body Found?
goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2007, 10:09 PM

Jesus: Tales from the Crypt - The Middle East Blog - TIME

(The link may be down right now, it's getting hammered. Article copied below: )

"Brace yourself. James Cameron, the man who brought you 'The Titanic' is back with another blockbuster. This time, the ship he's sinking is Christianity.

In a new documentary, Producer Cameron and his director, Simcha Jacobovici, make the starting claim that Jesus wasn't resurrected --the cornerstone of Christian faith-- and that his burial cave was discovered near Jerusalem. And, get this, Jesus sired a son with Mary Magdelene.
No, it's not a re-make of "The Da Vinci Codes'. It's supposed to be true.
Let's go back 27 years, when Israeli construction workers were gouging out the foundations for a new building in the industrial park in the Talpiyot, a Jerusalem suburb. of Jerusalem. The earth gave way, revealing a 2,000 year old cave with 10 stone caskets. Archologists were summoned, and the stone caskets carted away for examination. It took 20 years for experts to decipher the names on the ten tombs. They were: Jesua, son of Joseph, Mary, Mary, Mathew, Jofa and Judah, son of Jesua.
Israel's prominent archeologist Professor Amos Kloner didn't associate the crypt with the New Testament Jesus. His father, after all, was a humble carpenter who couldn't afford a luxury crypt for his family. And all were common Jewish names.

There was also this little inconvenience that a few miles away, in the old city of Jerusalem, Christians for centuries had been worshipping the empty tomb of Christ at the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. Christ's resurrection, after all, is the main foundation of the faith, proof that a boy born to a carpenter's wife in a manger is the Son of God.
But film-makers Cameron and Jacobovici claim to have amassed evidence through DNA tests, archeological evidence and Biblical studies, that the 10 coffins belong to Jesus and his family.
Ever the showman, (Why does this remind me of the impresario in another movie,"King Kong", whose hubris blinds him to the dangers of an angry and very large ape?) Cameron is holding a New York press conference on Monday at which he will reveal three coffins, supposedly those of Jesus of Nazareth, his mother Mary and Mary Magdalene. News about the film, which will be shown soon on Discovery Channel, Britain's Channel 4, Canada's Vision, and Israel's Channel 8, has been a hot blog topic in the Middle East (check out a personal favorite: Israelity Bites) Here in the Holy Land, Biblical Archeology is a dangerous profession. This 90-minute documentary is bound to outrage Christians and stir up a titanic debate between believers and skeptics. Stay tuned. "

There are two suspicious things here. First, how would DNA testing prove it is Jesus? And secondly, obviously Cameron is hoping to gain some celebrity status from the film.

But, Cameron has a reputation to loose if this is obviously bunk. And, if he was really in it for money he would have tried to turn it into a film for theatres, not a documentary for the Discovery Channel.

I won't be able to decide whether this is bunk or not until Cameron actually presents his evidence, but this is still very exciting news.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2007, 10:52 PM

Cameron does indeed have a lot to lose, as he's making some pretty loose assumptions.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2007, 11:19 PM

Can't they just ask the Templars for a sample of DNA from the blood line of the Merovingians?

That'll prove 'em.

P.S. Imagine what a drag it would be if your dad was Jesus ****ing Christ.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2007, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
There are two suspicious things here. First, how would DNA testing prove it is Jesus?
That's what I'd like to know. In order to prove that it's Jesus, you would need to already have a verifiable sample of Jesus' DNA, or at least the DNA of someone verifiably closely related to him. Neither of these is going to be particularly easy to come by.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2007, 11:23 PM

SNIP

but this is still very exciting news.
Why do you think this is exciting news?
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2007, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
That's what I'd like to know. In order to prove that it's Jesus, you would need to already have a verifiable sample of Jesus' DNA, or at least the DNA of someone verifiably closely related to him. Neither of these is going to be particularly easy to come by.
Did anyone here ever read The Preacher?

It riffed off the whole Merovingian bloodline story, but added the gross twist that after 2 millennia of preserving the bloodline, the sole remaining relative of Jesus is hopelessly inbred.

You'll often see him in the background about to do something idiotically suicidal, like drinking a bottle of weed killer.

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2007, 11:58 PM

This should be interesting, though unlikely verifiable.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2007, 12:30 AM

I'm really curious what evidence could be found that this is Jesus when pretty much the only actual documentation of his existence (which doesn't describe him a whole lot and certainly doesn't contain a DNA sample) says he was never buried?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Peder Rice
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2007, 01:21 AM

As I've said elsewhere, I think the DNA evidence is to conclude the family relationship of those in the tomb, likely that Mary and Joseph fathered Jesus, and that Jesus and Mary Magdalene fathered a son.

From there, statistical analysis is used to narrow this down to Jesus himself. Let's say that one in ten males at the time were named Jesus, one in ten named Joseph, one in ten females Mary. Given the low populations of the time, it mathematically becomes very difficult for an identical family structure as this to have existed elsewhere.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2007, 01:31 AM

barny: jesus must be spinning in his grave

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2007, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Peder Rice View Post
As I've said elsewhere, I think the DNA evidence is to conclude the family relationship of those in the tomb, likely that Mary and Joseph fathered Jesus, and that Jesus and Mary Magdalene fathered a son.

From there, statistical analysis is used to narrow this down to Jesus himself. Let's say that one in ten males at the time were named Jesus, one in ten named Joseph, one in ten females Mary. Given the low populations of the time, it mathematically becomes very difficult for an identical family structure as this to have existed elsewhere.
It doesn't seem like the odds of a Mary and a Joseph naming their son Jesus would be that low. And since the Bible doesn't claim Jesus had a son named Judah with Mary Magdalene, I don't see how that can be viewed as proof of anything at all. It would make more sense for James to be buried in there, since he is a known part of Jesus' family and was a devoted disciple, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
Chuck
___

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2007, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Why do you think this is exciting news?
I really enjoy biblical history (although I'm not religious myself). I'm definitly not someone who takes the bible literally, I just like looking at the historical, factual aspects of the history of Christianity.

If this were old homeless guy on the street corner claiming he found the body of Jesus, I wouldn't be at all excited. But James Cameron claiming he's found the body of Jesus? It's enough to make me excited enough to hear what he has to say, even if I'm suspicious he's actually found Jesus's body.

As for my interest in socialogy... well... just the thought of the ramifications in society that this would have if this was Jesus's body... it's pretty good brain food.

Still, even if Cameron presents solid evidence, there will still be a lot of people who will discount it simply because it goes against their "faith". So even if it is really the body of Jesus I have my doubts as to how much it would effect Christianity.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2007, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
It doesn't seem like the odds of a Mary and a Joseph naming their son Jesus would be that low. And since the Bible doesn't claim Jesus had a son named Judah with Mary Magdalene, I don't see how that can be viewed as proof of anything at all.
Depends. The Bible is not a reputable account of Jesus's life in the slightest. It's heavily edited. Books were thrown out, accounts were changed. When you go back and look at the original accounts written by Jesus, they're entirely different. And I hate to sound like The Da Vinci Code, but there actually is a book of Mary Magalene that the Church never incorperated into the bible for obvious reasons. I'm not fimiliar with the accounts these books give. They've never actually been published, as the original manuscripts are in horrible shape, pages missing, etc. But I'm assuming tidbits from these original books of the New Testament could be used as evidence.

The Bible we have today is highly edited and is not the best source of proving anything about Jesus. You'd want to use the original scriptures.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2007, 07:32 AM

Jesus had a diary?

Seriously.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2007, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Jesus had a diary?

Seriously.

greg

May 15th, 28th year of me.

Finished the cabinets for the Scipios. That Mrs. Scipio, such a mashugana.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2007, 10:03 AM

The only thing I'm going to add to this thread is that DNA testing after 2000 years is not possible, mostly due to the complete and utter destruction of any DNA after such time. It is a fragile biochemical strand that breaks down on its own, let alone with the help of 2000 years.

Preserving DNA is very difficult, even with modern technology.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2007, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
The only thing I'm going to add to this thread is that DNA testing after 2000 years is not possible, mostly due to the complete and utter destruction of any DNA after such time. It is a fragile biochemical strand that breaks down on its own, let alone with the help of 2000 years.

V
Interesting. Comparisons of surviving portions of the DNA would still be possible, right?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2007, 02:40 AM

Interesting. Comparisons of surviving portions of the DNA would still be possible, right?
I doubt it could be compared with any reliability even if some shreds would have been found -- and that is highly unlikely to begin with.

It would be more likely to find data on a 2000 year old floppy disk. Made out of biodegradable materials.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2007, 02:41 AM

Still, even if Cameron presents solid evidence, there will still be a lot of people who will discount it simply because it goes against their "faith". So even if it is really the body of Jesus I have my doubts as to how much it would effect Christianity.
It's really cute how you put faith in quotations. Not inflammatory at all.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2007, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
It's really cute how you put faith in quotations. Not inflammatory at all.
In that context it was quite appropriate. Why so testy?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [ā™¬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2007, 04:30 AM

Depends. The Bible is not a reputable account of Jesus's life in the slightest. It's heavily edited. Books were thrown out, accounts were changed. When you go back and look at the original accounts written by Jesus, they're entirely different.
Uhā€¦what accounts are these?

And I hate to sound like The Da Vinci Code, but there actually is a book of Mary Magalene that the Church never incorperated into the bible for obvious reasons.
There are lots of books that the Church never incorporated into the Bible for obvious reasons ā€” those reasons being that the books are flagrantly made up. And I say that as somebody who doesn't put much stock in the canon either. Things like Jesus killing a kid for knocking down his sandcastle are just way too fan-fiction for me.

he Bible we have today is highly edited and is not the best source of proving anything about Jesus. You'd want to use the original scriptures.
The Epistles of Paul and the Gospel of Mark are believed to be some of the oldest Christian literature we have (within 30 years of Jesus' death). What original scriptures are you suggesting we use?
Chuck
___

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2007, 05:01 AM

The DNA claim is suspect, as is the claim that it took 20 years to read names. Such a thing should have taken 20 seconds. And with all the forgery of relics that has occurred in Israel (such as James' Ossuary and the tablet of Solomon's temple), this should be regarded with a ton of skepticism.

I think goMac is thinking of apocryphal texts. He knows computing, not religion.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2007, 08:29 AM

I love biblical archeology. LOVE IT.

While stuff like this current "finding" and the Davinci code are sometimes hard to take seriously due to the lengths they have to go to justify unlikely theories, I always find them entertaining. My favorite movie of all time is another biblical archeology fiction, Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Regarding the Bible, I was never was convinced that a book written at least 30 years or more after events occur would be entirely accurate. Look at modern times. What if Jesus came back today and Kitty Kelly was in charge of writing one of the new testaments of Christ in another 30 years? Is that something that you'd want to rely on? Well, unless you believe the Bible was divinely inspired, which I guess is possible.

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
The DNA claim is suspect, as is the claim that it took 20 years to read names. Such a thing should have taken 20 seconds. And with all the forgery of relics that has occurred in Israel (such as James' Ossuary and the tablet of Solomon's temple), this should be regarded with a ton of skepticism.
Yeah..the 20 years thing is a big red flag. It took them 20 years to figure out a way to sell this thing. It shouldn't have taken an expert more than a couple of minutes to have translated unless it was in some kind of secret code, then that itself would be hard to swallow because if it took 20 years to deciper, than that's a LOT of time to get the translation WRONG.

This is an interesting find, but I'd guess not much more than that. It's a big step up from "Al Capone's vault" though, so I doubt Cameron has much to lose.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2007, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Jesus had a diary?

Seriously.
Technically, I suppose it's not impossible. We know that he was educated enough to get into theological debates with the established rabbis of the time and be taken seriously, even before he began his ministry, so he was probably able to read. This doesn't necessarily mean he would have been able to write, though: the Jews of the time still employed scribes, so clearly writing was not a universal skill.

That said, none of this proves that he kept a diary, only that it might have been possible for him to do so. If he did, however, then I find it very odd that such a thing wouldn't have been preserved. Even among the apocrypha, there isn't anything that actually claims to be Jesus' own diary. Even if the diary itself was destroyed, surely something would have mentioned that he kept one.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2007, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
Technically, I suppose it's not impossible. We know that he was educated enough to get into theological debates with the established rabbis of the time and be taken seriously, even before he began his ministry. . .
Not really. It is claimed in the gospel acccounts that he debated rabbis. There is no independent confirmation of such events outside of the gospels.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2007, 10:15 AM

How does finding his body prove there wasn't a resurrection?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2007, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
Most Christian sects preach a bodily resurrection.

Peder Rice
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2007, 10:51 AM

Maybe Mary Magdalene was just seeing things. I mean, to watch your husband/lover die like that would be pretty traumatic and probably induce delusions, and that's how I'd prove there wasn't a resurrection. But hey, just being logical here.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2007, 11:21 AM

I bet Mary Magdalene was a hot babe.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2007, 11:35 AM

Hahahaha...I don't know man, it says that Jesus was a pretty homely-looking guy.

But, conclusion: cheesy publicity/money grab, not much of substance. Move on.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2007, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post

V
Not True. I just picked up the book, " The Seven Daughters of Eve" in which Brian Sykes who is a Professor of Genetics at Oxford University based most of his findings on DNA samples much older. DNA can be preserved, but he says the conditions that the sample exist in play a huge role.
SAm

Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2007, 12:05 PM

We ought to all assume he was mortal and married...and put the burden of proof on those who claim otherwise.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2007, 12:06 PM

Alive is the opposite of dead. If we think a person is dead and find them walking around, we must be mistaken. If we believe a person is alive and find them dead, that means we were similarly mistaken.
Chuck
___

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2007, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
Cameron does indeed have a lot to lose, as he's making some pretty loose assumptions.
I think this comment went over the heads of most people, but I get it. Great comment.

Saetre
Senior User
Feb 26, 2007, 01:00 PM

If Jesus and his followers were trying to create their own religion or otherwise scam people, wouldn't they have hid the body and not buried it in the family crypt?
Little children are savages. They are paleolithic creatures.
- E. O. Wilson

Peder Rice
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2007, 01:17 PM

Saetre, this was perhaps not the first burial place, and may have been created some years later.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Feb 26, 2007, 01:25 PM

There can't be a body.
I was under the impression he ascended to heaven.
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2007, 01:40 PM

Maybe he came back to visit Earth a few years later and died by choking on a piece of broccoli...?

Saetre
Senior User
Feb 26, 2007, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Sky Captain View Post
There can't be a body.
I was under the impression he ascended to heaven.
You shouldn't believe evertything you read.
- E. O. Wilson

Saetre
Senior User
Feb 26, 2007, 01:51 PM

Does anyone in here think there is even a slight chance of this being true? I'd love to believe it; it would be hilarious. But it just seems that the chance that this isn't BS is almost zero. How many people have died and been buried in the area? There must be milions of graves, what are the chances that someone actually finds Jesus grave and there is a name on it? Pweh.
- E. O. Wilson

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2007, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Saetre View Post
You shouldn't believe evertything you read.
Like the Qu'ran either?
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

Saetre
Senior User
Feb 26, 2007, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sky Captain View Post
Like the Qu'ran either?
Sure. Or the statements made by the people claiming to have found Jesus's bod.
- E. O. Wilson

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2007, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Saetre View Post
Does anyone in here think there is even a slight chance of this being true? I'd love to believe it; it would be hilarious. But it just seems that the chance that this isn't BS is almost zero. How many people have died and been buried in the area? There must be milions of graves, what are the chances that someone actually finds Jesus grave and there is a name on it? Pweh.
Forget how many people were buried in the area. Think about grave robbers. Jesus's tomb would be a prime target.

I almost think this would be a good explanation as to why the Deciples said his body was missing from the tomb. Get a fake tomb, bury Jesus in a real tomb elsewhere, but tell the public he's in the fake tomb. When the public finds no body in the fake tomb, tell the public Jesus rose from the dead and that's why he's not in the tomb. Takes care of the grave robber problem, but Jesus's real body would get lost over time.

I'm not as much attached to this specific tomb that was found being Jesus's tomb, but it's an interesting "what if" to ponder.

Peder Rice
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2007, 03:23 PM

goMac++

That's precisely what I've been thinking.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2007, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Most Christian sects preach a bodily resurrection.
Jesus dies... is brought back to life... dies again... is put to rest in a tomb. The disciples say he "ascended into heaven" so people don't look for his grave.

I think it would be amazing if it was him. I wonder where they will keep the remains?

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2007, 03:49 PM

I think it would be amazing if it was him. I wonder where they will keep the remains?
That would be the other big question about Jesus's body. Can you imagine the sort of fighting that would occur?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2007, 05:33 PM

A new article on it: New film claims Jesus buried in Talpiot | Jerusalem Post

Apparently the archaeologist in charge of the dig is saying that Cameron's full of it.

But Bar-Ilan University Prof. Amos Kloner, the Jerusalem District archeologist who officially oversaw the work at the tomb in 1980 and has published detailed findings on its contents, on Saturday night dismissed the claims. "It makes a great story for a TV film," he told The Jerusalem Post. "But it's impossible. It's nonsense."

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2007, 06:26 PM

Forget how many people were buried in the area. Think about grave robbers. Jesus's tomb would be a prime target.

I almost think this would be a good explanation as to why the Deciples said his body was missing from the tomb. Get a fake tomb, bury Jesus in a real tomb elsewhere, but tell the public he's in the fake tomb. When the public finds no body in the fake tomb, tell the public Jesus rose from the dead and that's why he's not in the tomb. Takes care of the grave robber problem, but Jesus's real body would get lost over time.

I'm not as much attached to this specific tomb that was found being Jesus's tomb, but it's an interesting "what if" to ponder.
or the opposite is true...people who made fun of jesus and his guys stole the body to mock them...the followers said, er..ah...oh...he rose to heaven...yeah that's the ticket!

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2007, 07:13 PM

Isn't is great you can debate Jesus and Christianity without the fear of people dieing over it?

Atomic Rooster
Feb 26, 2007, 07:32 PM

Jesus is magic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules