Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Car Talk - come in, we'll talk, no big whoop (Shaddim's bloggish thing)

Car Talk - come in, we'll talk, no big whoop (Shaddim's bloggish thing) (Page 3)
subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2012, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Try a motorbike.
Ironically, I'd have to drive pretty far to get someplace good for motorbiking.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2012, 03:20 PM

I have a bike, a 2007 Harley Softail Fatboy, but rarely ride it. I bought it when my wife bought hers, a 2009 Softail Deluxe. We go to some of the local events and charity rides. We'd also ride in the mountains and over to Cherokee, but with Emma around we likely won't be doing that as often. Well, unless we find a baby-size sidecar.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2012, 06:02 AM

Oh, got to really give the 458 a workout yesterday on the tarmac, and have let the drive ferment in my brain. My opinion of flappy-paddle gearboxes hasn't changed much. It's better than any other I've tried, but it's still poor compared to 5 or 6 on the floor. Okay, maybe I'm a dinosaur, but that's how I feel. Otherwise, the Italia is crisp as a frosty winter morning and has uncanny balance and feel for a RWD car. Turn off traction control and it's still very manageable, and crazy fun. Controlled powerslides can be performed by practically anyone. It's like *grip* *grip* *grip* WHEEEE! Then after you're done it recovers and you keep going. It's the funnest (not sure if that's a real word) car I've ever driven, or it would be if it had a proper gearbox like the Gallardo. If I could take that out of the Lambo and put it into the 458, it would be the greatest most-funnest driver's car ever made, or at least I've ever driven. Why didn't Ferrari make the traditional 6-spd manual an option? I'm sure they'd say it's because this flappy double-clutch system is technologically superior in every measurable way, and only cavemen would want to shift gears with a stick. However, this caveman thinks paddles are for rowboats and he just wants his club back. IMO, they missed divinity by ---| |--- much, they'll just have to make do with legendary.

Actually, I take that one part back, it's still the greatest and most fun. I was just griping about the only thing that I can actually gripe about. Yeah...
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2012, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Oh, got to really give the 458 a workout yesterday on the tarmac, and have let the drive ferment in my brain. My opinion of flappy-paddle gearboxes hasn't changed much. It's better than any other I've tried, but it's still poor compared to 5 or 6 on the floor. Okay, maybe I'm a dinosaur, but that's how I feel. Otherwise, the Italia is crisp as a frosty winter morning and has uncanny balance and feel for a RWD car. Turn off traction control and it's still very manageable, and crazy fun. Controlled powerslides can be performed by practically anyone. It's like *grip* *grip* *grip* WHEEEE! Then after you're done it recovers and you keep going. It's the funnest (not sure if that's a real word) car I've ever driven, or it would be if it had a proper gearbox like the Gallardo. If I could take that out of the Lambo and put it into the 458, it would be the greatest most-funnest driver's car ever made, or at least I've ever driven. Why didn't Ferrari make the traditional 6-spd manual an option? I'm sure they'd say it's because this flappy double-clutch system is technologically superior in every measurable way, and only cavemen would want to shift gears with a stick. However, this caveman thinks paddles are for rowboats and he just wants his club back. IMO, they missed divinity by ---| |--- much, they'll just have to make do with legendary.
Actually, I take that one part back, it's still the greatest and most fun. I was just griping about the only thing that I can actually gripe about. Yeah...
According to Ferrari, the take rate for the manual in the 430 was only 3% at its best, and it didn't make financial sense for them to make on for the Italia...

...Since when do Ferrari and the Italians do anything that makes financial sense?

Anyway, the only Fezza remaining with a manual gearbox is the California.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2012, 09:07 AM

Does anyone else have problems "locating" the flappy paddles that are attached to the wheel?

I've only ever driven 4 or 5 cars with them for any length of time, and they were attached to the actual wheel, and I always found that I'd lose them in the middle of a sharp turn. I found it very annoying and just ended up not using them. Perhaps it was just a matter of getting used to the placement, but the fact that they actually moved is what bothered me - unlike a gearbox, which is always in one comfortable spot.

On higher-end cars, are the paddles connected to the wheel as well, or are they attached behind the wheel and don't move with it? I can see both implementations having obvious problems....
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2012, 12:14 PM

The the Italia's paddles are fixed, set behind the wheel ~2". Which can make shifting a little awkward when your hands are out of the 10 & 2 positions. I attended the Ralph Macchio school of driving, wax on and off with the left hand, while shifting with the right. Driving while shuffling your hands around the wheel isn't normal. In a drag race I'm sure the paddle shifters are quicker, I'd bet on it. Also, I'm sure the sealed double-clutch transmission is more durable, and it will get abused less because it supposedly eliminates the possibility of a bad shift. Even considering those things, I prefer a conventional manual.

The California does look good, it's a nice car, but if I really wanted a `vette I'd just buy a `vette. Get the ZR1 and have the better performing (albeit a bit uglier) car for half the price.
- Thomas Paine

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2012, 08:32 AM

If you want a Corvette, you could just get a Power Wheels. The body is made of the same material.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2012, 12:04 PM

Followed this baby up the highway this afternoon on my way home. Sometimes traffic is a horrible thing.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2012, 01:47 PM

I work in Los Altos, so I get to see exotic cars all the time. It's pretty fun. Seems like there're more Lotuses than Camerys over here.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2012, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Are White Cars Really Popular Because of Apple?

Prior to Apple, white was associated with things like refrigerators or the tiles in your bathroom. Apple made white valuable.

Missed this earlier. Yeah, I blame Apple. Really, I prefer white to black for most cars, even before the iPod, the Carrera S I'm getting being an exception. One, they don't show dirt as badly, obvious reason, and two because they stand out and idiots won't hit you. Also there's the heat thing mentioned earlier. Frying the backs of your thighs on 180F upholstery is no picnic.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2012, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I work in Los Altos, so I get to see exotic cars all the time. It's pretty fun. Seems like there're more Lotuses than Camerys over here.
I don't blame them, that's an amazing driver's car for little money (comparatively). A used Elise, <20k miles, 27mpg, well-maintained, cherry condition, all for <$35k? That's crazy.
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2012, 11:50 AM

I saw a used Elise here for $18k once with about 48k miles. I thought about it, but driving that on I-5 every day would not be fun.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 15, 2012, 10:38 PM

I'm currently crushing on the new Focus ST. May pick one up with a couple miles on it next year.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2012, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I'm currently crushing on the new Focus ST. May pick one up with a couple miles on it next year.
My local Ford dealer has a tangerine ST on their lot with all the options, incl the yellow and black leather. I was truck shopping and it caught my eye, which is easy because that color shimmers and almost glows. It looks great, but it's north of $30 grand. For that, the ST better be bonkers to drive, because that's getting on into JCW Mini and Genesis R-Spec V6 money.
- Thomas Paine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 17, 2012, 11:50 AM

My local Ford dealer has a tangerine ST on their lot with all the options, incl the yellow and black leather. I was truck shopping and it caught my eye, which is easy because that color shimmers and almost glows. It looks great, but it's north of $30 grand. For that, the ST better be bonkers to drive, because that's getting on into JCW Mini and Genesis R-Spec V6 money.
MSRP starts at $24,000ish, but everything I've read says the ST2 package is a must (total price under $27,000) - it includes the Recaros and the better stereo. I can do without the ST3 package that adds SYNC, HIDs, and some other unnecessary stuff. Everything I've read about it is glowing. I intended to stay away from higher-horsepower FWD cars like the MazdaSpeed3 but it sounds like Ford has this figured out pretty well. They say it's like a more refined MS3 and a faster GTI.

Ford did it right by only making it available with a 6-speed manual. 3200lb is a bit more than I'd like (my old Contour was right around 3000), but if it's as good as they say I'm sure I won't mind, plus nearly anything is an upgrade from what I have now.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2012, 12:36 PM

If it can come in at under $27k, I can really see the appeal, but at 31-32 that Genesis V6 coupe is screaming value w/ 350hp. Though it has a hatch, calling it a HH is a stretch, however. That front skirt is a little funky too, IMO. Also, there's the Scion FR-S. I can't help but think of it as the spiritual successor to the legendary Supra of the early 90s, it just needs some boost, another 50-70hp would make it crazy.
- Thomas Paine

Jens Peter
Senior User
Sep 18, 2012, 05:11 AM

Yesterday I finally got my new car, a dark blue 2013 Volvo V40. Compared to my Smart, it drives like a dream. It's no 458 speed-wise, but as a new dad, It's fast enough for me - love it!

It has a cool TFT display, where you can choose between 3 different layouts; Elegance, Eco and Performance. It has a very nice sound system, 7" infotainment system including a reverse-camera and a big panoramic roof!

Elegance:

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2012, 11:11 AM

It is also the safest car ever tested by EuroNCAP.

First the cute smart, now the V40; no doubt you have an eye for cars.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2012, 10:56 PM

So, the nephew is soon going to be old enough to drive, and I want to get him a car, I sort of told him I'd look into it when he got older. I asked him what he wants, and he wants a vintage Mustang. This is a no-go. I want to get him something newer because they're safer and more reliable, but at the same time I want to get him something that he'll like and can be proud of. Also, he's going to work to pay for it, he'll spend time volunteering and I'm going to take his hours off the price of the car. Even if it never balances out, at least he'll learn some responsibility and know that he did have to work for it. I checked out the cars that they recommend, and I would have shot myself if I had been made to get one of those. My first car was a 5.0L Mustang, which my dad helped me pick out, and I worked a job to pay for it and made payments every month. For him, I'm thinking a newer V6 Mustang or maybe the Scion FR-S.

Originally Posted by Jens Peter View Post
Yesterday I finally got my new car, a dark blue 2013 Volvo V40. Compared to my Smart, it drives like a dream. It's no 458 speed-wise, but as a new dad, It's fast enough for me - love it!
It has a cool TFT display, where you can choose between 3 different layouts; Elegance, Eco and Performance. It has a very nice sound system, 7" infotainment system including a reverse-camera and a big panoramic roof!
Diesel or petrol? That does look nice, I like the lines.
- Thomas Paine

andi*pandi
Sep 19, 2012, 05:00 AM

It's nice to help out family. My uncle bequeathed me my first Subaru for the price of $1. In turn, I handed down an older Saturn Coupe to my niece, and she was thrilled.

Don't get anything too shiny, they tend to smash them.

Jens Peter
Senior User
Sep 19, 2012, 12:25 PM

It is also the safest car ever tested by EuroNCAP.

First the cute smart, now the V40; no doubt you have an eye for cars. 
Thanks, a lot of my friends find my choices weird. "For that amount of money, you could get a new Kia or a Skoda with all options!" they argue, but then again, the don't understand how I have been using a mac for 10 years...

Diesel, 1.6 with 115 bhp. I was thinking to get a petrol version, but that was more expensive, and I would rather use the money on a better stereo, metallic paint and that fancy TFT display, than getting a 'basic' petrol version.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2012, 01:06 PM

For him, I'm thinking a newer V6 Mustang or maybe the Scion FR-S.
Any pre-2011 V6 Mustang is shameful and should be left to cheerleaders and poor people going through a mid-life crisis.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2012, 03:01 PM

Any pre-2011 V6 Mustang is shameful and should be left to cheerleaders and poor people going through a mid-life crisis.
Yeah, I was thinking a 2011 V6, they're starting to pop up due to repo. I kinda feel bad that the previous owner lost their ride, but someone has to buy them. Looks like they're going for ~$15k.

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
It's nice to help out family. My uncle bequeathed me my first Subaru for the price of $1. In turn, I handed down an older Saturn Coupe to my niece, and she was thrilled.
Don't get anything too shiny, they tend to smash them.
For the longest time he was the closest thing I thought I'd have to a child of my own. That's changed, but I still think of him as my kid in many ways, and if he had his way he'd rather live here. I've been teaching him how to drive a stick in the Mini, and he's got it down cold, now.
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2012, 05:41 PM

Are you always shopping for a new car?? Good heavens.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2012, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Are you always shopping for a new car?? Good heavens.
We went to look at the F350s, my wife's Dodge is a piece of crap and keeps breaking down.
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2012, 06:20 PM

We went to look at the F350s, my wife's Dodge is a piece of crap and keeps breaking down.
Ha ha. Did you look at the F150 Ecoboost, it sounds like a BMW 335i. No, seriously.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2012, 07:52 PM

Ha ha. Did you look at the F150 Ecoboost, it sounds like a BMW 335i. No, seriously.
Nah, we went directly to the diesel commercial trucks, w/ the WTF 800lb/ft of torque (like she needs that much), since she's used to the Ram 2500.
- Thomas Paine

OreoCookie
Sep 19, 2012, 11:24 PM

You have all these gorgeous and tastefully selected cars (yellow (!) Ferrari 458, yum! black Porsche Carrera), and your wife drives a Dodge? What's wrong with you?

How about a real truck I hope your wife can decide which of the 24 forward and 22 reverse gears to choose … 
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2012, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post

You have all these gorgeous and tastefully selected cars (yellow (!) Ferrari 458, yum! black Porsche Carrera), and your wife drives a Dodge? What's wrong with you?
How about a real truck I hope your wife can decide which of the 24 forward and 22 reverse gears to choose …
It might be a Dodge Stratus, which is one serious vehicle.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2012, 02:09 AM

Is the Challenger any good.? I quite like its retro look.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2012, 08:13 AM

Retro-cool is most of what it has going for it, it's left out of most of the Camaro vs. Mustang tests. If it is what you want, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, but it's far from the best value for the dollar.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I'd forgotten how ugly those are. I don't think they sell those in the USA, or can even be titled and registered here. Besides, the bed's not big enough.
- Thomas Paine

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2012, 10:48 AM

Retro-cool is most of what it has going for it, it's left out of most of the Camaro vs. Mustang tests. If it is what you want, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, but it's far from the best value for the dollar.
One of my favorite RiffTrax quotes: The new Camaro! It always looks worse and worth less than the previous model! Ooo! Wow!

Stupid Dodge and Chevy. The concept car was everything I wanted, then the production cars just screwed it up. I absolutely loved the Challenger, then when it finally hit the streets they put it on a narrower base and made it look like a small office building. The Camaro is even worse.

Went from this (just absolutely awesome):

To this piece of sh*t:

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2012, 05:56 AM

Thanks. They go cheap in Germany, due to (uneducated guess alert) the lack of a proper service network, so I don't want even to think about what a chaos would it be to own one here in Spain. Anyhow, I like the CTS Coupe way, way more.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2012, 12:15 PM

Today I was able to get out the dents (mostly) in my car to where it looked decent and I could still get in and out. Then I was making a turn up onto a large hill and it popped out and I couldn't get out of the car. Ha ha.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2012, 11:04 PM

No insurance?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2012, 03:35 AM

No insurance?
Only liability and my car's totaled from hail damage anyway, plus my deductible is $1k.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2012, 02:03 PM

I mentioned before that I was annoyed over waiting for the Tesla S, it's been on order since Tesla himself invented AC power. Well I called to cancel last week and told them I want my deposit back. They called today to tell me that my car will be delivered on October 7th. I'm not sure if it was the squeaky wheel getting grease, or it really is my turn, but I'll take it. Here's the thing, though, to get it in pearl white (which is what I ordered) I have to accept additional options; suspension upgrade, glass roof, carbon fiber parts, and tuning upgrades. The car I was initially told would be $87k delivered has ballooned to $108k, but like I said, that includes all and the kitchen sink. I think someone dropped out and they're trying to sell me their car. Oh well. I told them I'd take it, so I guess I'll get to see what all the fuss is about. They're also sending out a guy to install the hardcore charging setup, so that will be interesting.

Only liability and my car's totaled from hail damage anyway, plus my deductible is $1k.
Bugger, that sucks. Don't you know that body shop guy? Can't he help out?
- Thomas Paine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2012, 01:40 AM

Is the Challenger any good.? I quite like its retro look.
Take a look at the upcoming Barracuda:
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/dodge/2...-ar127545.html

One rumored version is a new, smaller, lighter RWD platform that will actually put it in the same ballpark as the current Mustang/Camaro.

P
Sep 25, 2012, 03:36 AM

Yesterday I finally got my new car, a dark blue 2013 Volvo V40.
I worked on the interior of that car (mainly the seats). I'd love to hear how you feel about it. Personally I think it has the best interior of any Volvo I ever worked on - nice wide seats, decent space in the back, design is stricter.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2012, 03:57 AM

Take a look at the upcoming Barracuda:
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/dodge/2...-ar127545.html
One rumored version is a new, smaller, lighter RWD platform that will actually put it in the same ballpark as the current Mustang/Camaro.
Ugh, another boxy, chopped top-looking thing. Do they (Dodge) have any designers with talent? It's sad when the 40+ y/o `cuda destroys the newer version. From what I've heard, a 19 y/o college kid drew this:

I say hire him and toss the current design team out on their collective ears.
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2012, 06:51 AM

I mentioned before that I was annoyed over waiting for the Tesla S, it's been on order since Tesla himself invented AC power. Well I called to cancel last week and told them I want my deposit back. They called today to tell me that my car will be delivered on October 7th. I'm not sure if it was the squeaky wheel getting grease, or it really is my turn, but I'll take it. Here's the thing, though, to get it in pearl white (which is what I ordered) I have to accept additional options; suspension upgrade, glass roof, carbon fiber parts, and tuning upgrades. The car I was initially told would be $87k delivered has ballooned to $108k, but like I said, that includes all and the kitchen sink. I think someone dropped out and they're trying to sell me their car. Oh well. I told them I'd take it, so I guess I'll get to see what all the fuss is about. They're also sending out a guy to install the hardcore charging setup, so that will be interesting.

Bugger, that sucks. Don't you know that body shop guy? Can't he help out?
He said he'd do the job for about $400, (a cheap bodyshop quoted $900), but I don't really feel like spending that money on a 12 year old car with 240k miles. I think I'm just going to start looking for a newer vehicle, probably an Accord (but 4 cylinder and stick shift) or an Impreza.

The Model S makes me weak in the knees. It looks so so good. I imagine if Apple were to build a car, it'd be the Model S.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2012, 07:38 PM

I looked at a 2003 W8 Passat tonight. It was a nice car. I've driven several S4s which are essentially the same car, but I liked the Passat better, it had a much better ride (due to 17" wheels versus the S4's 18"), and had a more fluid gearchange. The gearing though seemed really high in first gear and it was a little difficult to launch smoothly but I got the hang quickly. This one has 117k miles, but it has immaculate service history and has been local at the dealer it is at since brand new. It's in very good condition inside too, pretty much perfect. The owner traded it in on a new CC. Anyway, the dealer hasn't even officially put it up for sale, so I'm going to give it a longer drive on Thursday probably after the car is processed through and inspected and whatnot.

Jens Peter
Senior User
Sep 26, 2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I worked on the interior of that car (mainly the seats). I'd love to hear how you feel about it. Personally I think it has the best interior of any Volvo I ever worked on - nice wide seats, decent space in the back, design is stricter.
I think you did a great job! I really like the interior, very modern and it got a luxurious feeling about it (it's easy to impress me, my Smart was pretty basic! ). The TFT dashboard screen is a great party-trick, and so is the reversing camera!
I think the seats are comfortable, but with good support. I have only driven for a max of 1.5 hours, in the longest run without a break, but I felt like I could sit there much longer. I'm a little disappointed with the space in the rear - granted it's a small car - but when I'm driving my girlfriend can barely sit behind me, and we are both regular scandinavian height. Since we just had baby, this won't be a problem for years, but I had hoped for a little more space.

This is my first Volvo, but my parents have a S80, so it's easy to compare to see how the interior have changed - but only for the better!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2012, 01:28 AM

Take a look at the upcoming Barracuda:http://www.topspeed.com/cars/dodge/2...-ar127545.html

<span class="st">It better not be based on an Alfa Romeo platform, either they (A-R) got they act together or there is a considerable chance that this will become an overweight car.</span>

P
Sep 27, 2012, 06:12 AM

I think you did a great job! I really like the interior, very modern and it got a luxurious feeling about it (it's easy to impress me, my Smart was pretty basic! ). The TFT dashboard screen is a great party-trick, and so is the reversing camera!
I think the seats are comfortable, but with good support. I have only driven for a max of 1.5 hours, in the longest run without a break, but I felt like I could sit there much longer. I'm a little disappointed with the space in the rear - granted it's a small car - but when I'm driving my girlfriend can barely sit behind me, and we are both regular scandinavian height. Since we just had baby, this won't be a problem for years, but I had hoped for a little more space.
This is my first Volvo, but my parents have a S80, so it's easy to compare to see how the interior have changed - but only for the better!
Glad to hear it! Yes, I know that it is a little tight in the rear seat, but in my testing I can at least sit in some comfort behind myself on the passenger side. That's not bad, for a car this size. It really is quite a short car - it's just that the styling tries very hard to hide that.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2012, 07:42 AM

I looked at a 2003 W8 Passat tonight. It was a nice car. I've driven several S4s which are essentially the same car, but I liked the Passat better, it had a much better ride (due to 17" wheels versus the S4's 18"), and had a more fluid gearchange. The gearing though seemed really high in first gear and it was a little difficult to launch smoothly but I got the hang quickly. This one has 117k miles, but it has immaculate service history and has been local at the dealer it is at since brand new. It's in very good condition inside too, pretty much perfect. The owner traded it in on a new CC. Anyway, the dealer hasn't even officially put it up for sale, so I'm going to give it a longer drive on Thursday probably after the car is processed through and inspected and whatnot.
That sounds like a winner, I really like the early `00s W8 Passats. Like they say on TG, they go like the clappers, very torquey and smooth in acceleration. You have to remember, pre-Phaeton, that was the VW flagship with a sticker around $40k. If it's well-sorted and decently priced, it could be nice long term keeper.

Mmmm, I put up an offer for a sort of "family convertible" for the weekends (since all the dropheads we have are 2-seaters). A 1935 Auburn 851SC Phaeton:

This one is kinda semi-famous because it was once owned by Fredric March (Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde), though there are no photos of him driving it, or at least none that have survived. It's had a full frame-off restoration, very pretty. It's been bouncing around from owner to owner for the last several years, maybe it's time to give it a permanent home.
- Thomas Paine

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2012, 08:39 AM

I'm surprised you've accepted this. If they didn't tel you it would cost $108K before, then you shouldn't have to pay that now. Tell them you'll take if off their hands for $87K or that you want your deposit back.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2012, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I'm surprised you've accepted this. If they didn't tel you it would cost $108K before, then you shouldn't have to pay that now. Tell them you'll take if off their hands for $87K or that you want your deposit back.
I wanted the more basic non-Performance model, but this has everything. It doesn't bother me because I've almost regretted not ordering the high end version from the get-go. While I could make a stink over it, they only offered me the faster one. I could have taken the lesser model instead, though it wasn't in the color I wanted, silver instead of white.
- Thomas Paine

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2012, 11:33 AM

I wanted the more basic non-Performance model, but this has everything. It doesn't bother me because I've almost regretted not ordering the high end version from the get-go. While I could make a stink over it, they only offered me the faster one. I could have taken the lesser model instead, though it wasn't in the color I wanted, silver instead of white.
It would be so nice to not have to quibble over $20K. You ever want to adopt a son Shaddim?

Forum Links
Forum Rules