Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > battery gone kaput?

battery gone kaput?
orry_main
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2002, 06:13 PM

So I'm sitting around before a class the other day, happily typing away at a letter on my tangerine rev b ibook when it just dies, no warning or anything. I try to turn it back on but to no avail. Then, I plug it into a near-by wall plug and it comes back up but shows that my battery is completely drained. Odd, since it was full according to the indicator not too long before it died. I let it sit overnight, plugged in and charging. When I turned it back on, the indicator still shows it charging and says that it's computing how long it's going to take to finish charging. If I try to turn it on unplugged, it won't work. The first time it died, I lost my time and date, but subsequently if I turn it off and unplug it for a while and then turn it on (when it's plugged in again, since it won't start up on its own), I still have my time and date. I guess this means that the battery isn't COMPLETELY dead, but why shouldn't it have fully charged over night? And why doesn't it seem to take any charge at all when it's plugged in?

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2002, 11:05 PM

Are you running Jaguar? There' have been battery issues with Jaguar. reporting the wrong battery level.

Nothing as serious as the battery cutting off though.. you oughta get that checked out...
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi
... we had fun, but Apple Repair and the years have not been kind to you... godspeed...

orry_main  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2002, 08:32 AM

I am running Jaguar, actually, although I just upgraded and this happened before the upgrade. I read somewhere about resetting the power manager: tried that with no luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules