Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > "i" problems

"i" problems
TommyL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 09:33 PM

Hey everyone,

2 Problems

1)

I was an avid iCal user up until a week ago when all of a sudden it stopped working. I would click the icon in my dock and nothing happened. So i went to the application, clicked that, and iCal's graphic disappeared stating that it was just an empty 0k application. I deleted what remained.

Now here is the problem. I have downloaded 1.5.1 of iCal and whenever it tries to install it will not work. My roommate has an iBook as well and sent myself his iCal, and that doesn't work either. Why does my computer hate iCal.

2)

My iPod is recognized as an external hard drive in finder, however, it no longer syncs with iTunes. It doesn't even show up in itunes. I've tried resetting the iPod the computer already and nothing has happened. Suggestions?

Why do these "i" apps/products hate my iBook? Please help!

Tom

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 09:47 PM

Well, the problem is that you're trying to multiply i by i, and of course you get error -1...
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

greener
Oct 14, 2003, 09:50 PM

For the iCal problem, try reinstalling iSync, worked for me.

As for iTunes.. delete iTunes prefs maybe?
"There is no spoon" - Spoon Boy

Brass
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2003, 10:00 PM

Try doing all of this as a new admin user, just to make sure there's nothing in your user's prefs that's causing problems.

TommyL  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 10:56 PM

I can't install isync because ical needs to be installed first. i also tried making the other user however i still was unable to solve my ipod problem.

any other ideas guys?

Brass
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2003, 11:03 PM

Repair Permissions (Disk Utility).

Failing that, try re-installing the OS (use the archive install to preserve users and network settings). Then re-apply all updates, then re-run repair permissions. Drastic measures, but it should fix it.

TommyL  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 11:18 PM

what are repair permissions?

Brass
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2003, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by TommyL:
what are repair permissions?
Look in "/Applications/Utilities" and you will find a little application called "Disk Utility". Run it.

Click the "First Aid" tab, then click the volume on the left that is your startup disk. Then click the "Repair Disk Permissions" button.

It will take a long time, and will display the dozens (even hundreds) of repairs that it does (this is normal).

Quite often, screwed up permissions can cause odd problems with your system, and the problems you described could fit this bill.

Forum Links
Forum Rules