Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > My G5 iMac just wont work, I tried everything I know!

My G5 iMac just wont work, I tried everything I know!
ubertoby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2006, 05:34 PM

You guys are my last hope of solving this, when i got my mac i wasnt told that you had to buy the apple care policy within 90 days or your out in the cold!

A few weeks back I had a problem with "word" freezing the entire imac, switching it off & restaring it solved the problem & good ol mac bought the file back up from where i left it

Over the weekend my mac suddenly wouldnt boot at all. Each time i reset it, it would get one step colser to working; eg black screen- restart. grey screen, restart, grey screen with apple logo- restart. Apple logo with spinning wheel- restart. Blue screen- restart. Blue screen with password- Booted! Hooray!

This stopped to work the very next day, thankfully I had backed up my important files expecting the worst.

Read the manual. Held down down option, apple, P & R, heard the 2nd chime- nothing!

restarted & put tiger disk back in, failed to boot- restarted & help down option & went to purple screen with tiger dvd & hard drive as options. Tried to boot from hard drive & failed. Restart & selected to boot from disk. At this satge I was so angry I just thought a fresh start was the best thing & totally formatted & reinstalled Tiger! All went well & i got another 24 hours of usage.

Booted tonight now nothing is working, i cant even bring the purple screen up to select where to boot from. I tried over & over. I can hold option, apple, P & R but it goes nowhere, same goes for just holding option!

What the hell is going on??????

Worst thing is that I have had to admit defeat & I write this post from a windows PC!!!!!

Please help, I'm totally lost here & its my 1st Mac since switching!!

Regards

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2006, 05:50 PM

Try starting up in Target Disk Mode and connect your iMac to another computer using FireWire. If you can see the disk that'll be a good sign, and we can have a look at some logs to try and figure this out.
╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

HazMacFan
Mar 14, 2006, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by ubertoby
You guys are my last hope of solving this, when i got my mac i wasnt told that you had to buy the apple care policy within 90 days or your out in the cold!

A few weeks back I had a problem with "word" freezing the entire imac, switching it off & restaring it solved the problem & good ol mac bought the file back up from where i left it

Over the weekend my mac suddenly wouldnt boot at all. Each time i reset it, it would get one step colser to working; eg black screen- restart. grey screen, restart, grey screen with apple logo- restart. Apple logo with spinning wheel- restart. Blue screen- restart. Blue screen with password- Booted! Hooray!

This stopped to work the very next day, thankfully I had backed up my important files expecting the worst.

Read the manual. Held down down option, apple, P & R, heard the 2nd chime- nothing!

restarted & put tiger disk back in, failed to boot- restarted & help down option & went to purple screen with tiger dvd & hard drive as options. Tried to boot from hard drive & failed. Restart & selected to boot from disk. At this satge I was so angry I just thought a fresh start was the best thing & totally formatted & reinstalled Tiger! All went well & i got another 24 hours of usage.

Booted tonight now nothing is working, i cant even bring the purple screen up to select where to boot from. I tried over & over. I can hold option, apple, P & R but it goes nowhere, same goes for just holding option!

What the hell is going on??????

Worst thing is that I have had to admit defeat & I write this post from a windows PC!!!!!

Please help, I'm totally lost here & its my 1st Mac since switching!!

Regards
If we are talking about an iMac G5, then you could be facing a "Logic Board" issue. I just got my iMac G5 (which I bought back in August) back after they had to replace the logic board. It froze one day and every attempt to reset the PRAM and such did nothing. It would not boot from the Tiger CD. If you cannot boot, you are in the same boat I was in. You can purchase Apple Care as long as your warranty is valid which is for a full year from purchase. The 90 day period is for phone support.

I am not bitter and understand that these issues do happen, my next computer will be a Mac, good luck.
24" iMac 2.8 C2Ext,15" MBPro 2.2 C2D,20" iMac 2.0 G5,12" iBook 1.2 G4
16GB 3G iPhone, 60GB 5th Gen iPod, 20 GB 3rd Gen iPod

BikerJonTN
Mar 14, 2006, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by ubertoby
You are not required to purchase AppleCare within the first 90 days of ownership. Phone support is limited to the first 90 days if you have NOT purchased AppleCare. AppleCare may be purchased at any time during the first year of ownership, while your machine is still covered under the Apple-provided 1-year limited warranty. Purchasing AppleCare AFTER the first 90 days allows you to contact phone support for the remainder of your AppleCare term.

If you are still under Apple's 1-year limited warranty, call 1-800-MY-APPLE and speak with a technical support representative. After they ask for your first name and machine serial number, the representative will then ask if you would like to purchase AppleCare. Just tell the representative "yes" and they will take your credit information over the phone and proceed to provide your desired technical support.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2006, 10:07 PM

A one year warranty is a one year warranty. Call them and complain.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules