Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MBP vs iMac 24"?

MBP vs iMac 24"?
I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2006, 08:28 PM

MBP = 2.16 C2D 1G 120HD SD 128MB Graphx
M24 = 2.16 C2D 1G 250HD SD 128MB Graphx

the only difference is the HD size? (of course the screen size too duh! but let's forget about that for a moment)
I want to know about productivity. What Machine is better with almost the same specs?
thanx
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2006, 11:59 PM

Considering that they are virtually the same machine in different enclosures, I'd say neither one is "better" than the other. It's more a matter of what better meets your needs. If you don't need a laptop, the iMac is definitely a better deal in light of its screen size and larger hard disk. But if you need portability, the MacBook Pro is the obvious choice.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2006, 11:39 AM

I thought the 2 machines were very similar too, I have a Dell 24" screen so I am trying to work out what Mac to go for, although I will probably be getting it after Leopard is released. Its a toss up between iMac 24", MBP, and a basic Mac Pro. They all have pro's and cons, with the iMac I'd be doubling my screen size (hehe ), the MBP would give me 2 screens and a portable computer, and the Mac Pro has quad cores and the expansion. But then the iMac and the Dell would need much more desk space than I have now, the iMac and MBP are pretty much sealed except for RAM in terms of expansion and with a Mac Pro I'd lose out on Frontrow and iSight.

At the moment I'm leaning towards an iMac or MBP, a Mac Pro would be nice, but I think I'd have more use out of the multiple screens and Frontrow.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2006, 02:16 PM

wow... it's hard to decide.
I think I'm happy with any of those, the iMac and the MBP, the only thing I love about the iMac is the screen... I already had a PB, Four actually, I'm willing to sell them on eBay and keep just the most recent one, but the MBP will be great if I use it as a desktop full time and in cases for portability issues... but in other hand, the 24" iMac will be a heaven to work in! laaaarge screen , laaarge playground, laaarge space for business tasks! DAMN! I don't know!
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

Forum Links
Forum Rules