Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Have You Gotten Your Wisdom Teeth Out?

View Poll Results: Well?
Poll Options:
Yup, hurt like a bugger 22 votes (16.18%)
Yup, didn't hurt that bad 49 votes (36.03%)
No, they're still there 53 votes (38.97%)
I hate you 12 votes (8.82%)
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll
Have You Gotten Your Wisdom Teeth Out?
Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2004, 10:40 PM

Well? How painful was it? I just got mine out... and the doctor was actually really good... hurts like a ... right now... but other than that... fortunately I have my dad's teeth, my mom had an awful time, mine were really easy.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2004, 10:42 PM

Mine went easily, barely had any pain after (I think I took ONE Tylenol 3 right after) and had no swelling whatsoever.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Mafia
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2004, 10:52 PM

swelling was bad, but not to much pain. the worst thing is not being able to eat solid food for a couple days.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2004, 11:06 PM

Mine are just fine where they are

Kilbey
Baninated
Dec 22, 2004, 11:17 PM

A piece of cake. I ate some nacho chips and tacos a few hours after surgery.

Originally posted by Superchicken:
fortunately I have my dad's teeth
You better give them back!!!

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2004, 11:26 PM

Nope, seem fine.

Psychonaut
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2004, 12:00 AM

Yep, I got mine out. The doctor had planned to put me under with an IV drip and anaesthesia. But because I had drunk water that morning, he said I'd have a 50% chance of choking to death.

Turned out to be a barrel of laughs; the good doc gave me nitrous oxide and Valium instead. And the prescription for Percocet didn't hurt either.
DBGFHRGL!

brapper
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2004, 04:14 AM

yea i have. and it wasn't unpleasant.

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Dec 23, 2004, 04:24 AM

I have currently one wisdom tooth fully grown in without problems, but I may have more pokin' through. I will be going to a guy on jan. 4th actually, to see what, if anything needs to be done.

but if something does, I tell you this, I WILL get a TON of drugs. pain sucks.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 23, 2004, 05:16 AM

i got mine out last year and was totally WASTED when i woke up, and went home and ate a bunch of pills for a few days.

it was actually FANTASTIC. seriously.

i'd do it again in a heartbeat, and I'm not a fan of people toolin' around in my mouth.

i got wasted that day in that office.
ice

Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2004, 06:11 AM

I actually have an appointment on Jan. 6th. This thread is helping a lot to lessen the fear that I'm feeling about it. I'll be awake and druggggggged the hell up. Can't wait

LookSee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2004, 07:34 AM

The procedure wasn't that bad. I was awake the whole time while he took out all four teeth. However, it did take a while (like 3 weeks) for me to completely heal...how I missed real food during those weeks *hugs fridge*

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 23, 2004, 07:45 AM

being awake? no ****in thanks.

i sweat in that chair if i'm awake. and i turn pale.

thanks for the gas, doc.

oh, and get percocets from the doc too.. eat before poppin' the percs each time. I was eating about 2 1/2 each day (3 per day prescribed). started tokin' within two days after surgery.

watch out for dry sockets. i had none.

comfortably numb. with banana baby food.
ice

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2004, 07:55 AM

I had mine out in the Army. Local aneasthetic, and a chisel (I'm not kidding). The left side developed a dry socket, which isn't fun. The right side wasn't bad.

But the best thing is the free vacation. Military folks will understand. Three days bed rest, plus two weeks light indoor duty for one side, then repeat for the other side.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2004, 08:17 AM

about two years ago mine seemed like they were going to come out, then nothing for a year. last year i had an xray and the dentist said that they don't seem to be moving. a year later still nothing.

oh well.

vexborg
Senior User
Dec 23, 2004, 09:42 AM

I had two of mine removed several years ago when I was in the hosital to get my overbite (yes, overbite and glasses - my childhood wasn't fun) reduced from 9mm to something more "normal" - while I was under, they thought they mighta s well remove a couple of them...

And so they did, I woke up with my jaw wired shut, looked like a hamster in the face due to swelling, and had to live of blended food for 6 weeks - not my idea of fun.

macroy
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2004, 10:19 AM

Had all 4 taken out a few years ago... still have the x-ray. All 4 were pretty much laying flat across. I was sort of in and out (gas?) - just remember the doc using something to break the teeth apart and picking the pieces out. When I woke up.. I had some blood splatter on my jeans (not really noticable, but there)... and I also found a fragment of a tooth on my jeans too.

Swelling wasn't bad, but I bled a lot. I was in the grocery store with my mom afterwards getting my perscription filled... Had like a bunch of gauze pads in my mouth... of course, when you have that much stuff in your mouth.. you start drooling... and in my case, it was blood. What a sight that must have been - Drugged up chipmunk with blood coming out of his mouth.

DarwinX
Dec 23, 2004, 10:27 AM

Yep, I had mine out. I don't recall the pain being too bad, swelled somewhat and some blood of course. I agree that not eating solid food for a while was the hardest part. Such is life right?

As for my eight teeth being pulled at one time though...oh the joy, not!

webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2004, 12:09 PM

I had my botton two wisdom teeth taken out a few months ago. Local anesthesia only. My mouth is very small, so the dentist had a horrible time of it. I cried. They should've knocked me out. I got to take home a vicodin prescription. My mouth was puffy and sore for a few days. I could only eat soup and mashed potatoes. But now everything is fine. And it looks like the top two won't have to come out. Good thing, because I am never going through that again. I'm not having any more dental work done, in fact. After 18 years, I just magically had 3 cavaties. NOT fun. Evil dentist.
iBook G4: 800mhz, 640mb, 40gb ("Astrid")
iPod: 30gb Photo ("Gordon"), 1gb Shuffle ("Tinker Bell")
For the record: I am female

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2004, 12:36 PM

I've been slated to get mine out for years but haven't done it yet. Heard too many horror stories to do sign up for it voluntarily

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2004, 12:42 PM

I had all four of them taken out by a oral surgeon. Two of them were impacted. It was done under general anesthesia in his office. It was done when I was 19, many decades ago. Don't remember there being much discomfort.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

newtech
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2004, 01:35 PM

Had all four out at once in the mid eighties. Were growing at 90 degree angle and ready to impact BIG TIME. Novacaine for procedure, with DDS, was fine. Well endowed hygenist eased recovery room time ( lean baby, lean ). Sent home with codine #3's, absolutely worthless. Wound up getting a morphine shot from an MD and was spaced for DAYS. BTW morphine has zero pain killing ability, it just makes you not care.

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2004, 01:40 PM

I've been told mine may never come in or need to be removed. I'm 34.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2004, 01:49 PM

All four of mine are out; didn't feel much pain when they were taken out.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2004, 01:56 PM

I remember going in and laying down, and the next thing I know I'm home watching a movie. Not sure how I got there or what happened in between.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2004, 02:04 PM

Well? How painful was it? I just got mine out... and the doctor was actually really good... hurts like a ... right now... but other than that... fortunately I have my dad's teeth, my mom had an awful time, mine were really easy.
Do you post on Anandtech?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2004, 02:04 PM

Only 2 teeth (the lowers didn't exist), 20 minutes in and out, no pain, drank beer the next day.

Ha ha.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2004, 02:13 PM

Last time I went to the dentist he said there's enough room for all of them and I won't have to get them pulled. I'm scheduled to go in again soon... hopefully that assessment will hold .

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 23, 2004, 02:34 PM

One word.

Percocet.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2004, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Percocet.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2004, 04:35 PM

3 of them got removed by force.

Link
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2004, 04:38 PM

They grew in a little while ago, surprisingly just fine. Damn I got lucky on that one

*pets wisdom teeth* *knocks on wood just to be safe* yeah.. nice teeth ^_^
Aloha

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2004, 04:45 PM

Got 'em all out at once. Didn't feel a thing at the time due to being knocked out. Didn't feel a thing afterwards due to a very high pain threshold (you can basically hit me in the face as hard as you like and I won't feel it).
Picked up an infection while having the op though. Couldn't open my mouth for a few weeks and had to force my teeth apart with some wooden sticks. Not fun.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2004, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by MORT A POTTY:
I have currently one wisdom tooth fully grown in without problems, but I may have more pokin' through. I will be going to a guy on jan. 4th actually, to see what, if anything needs to be done.
I only have one too. My dentist when I was a teenager x-rayed me and said that I wasn't going to get any, but then one did come in. I'm old now and I still have it and have never had a problem with it except for a sharp point that I filed off so it would stop cutting my cheek.

I did actually go into the operating room with a friend of mine while he had two of his wisdom teeth pulled out. He was on the gas and hardly remembers anything but it was hilarious... he was saying all kinds of crazy stuff to the doctor and screaming and stuff, and after it was over he asked the dentist, "Did you already pull them out". It was soooo funny after 15 minutes of pulling and chiseling and whimpering etc that he didn't even really know it happened. The recovery wan't too pretty though... a week of bleeding and crying.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2004, 08:08 PM

All Four Gone, I sure won't miss waking up to a pool of blood when my gauze accidently fell out, I was out for 5 days in summer as well ...

not good times.

But besides the drooling of blood and gauze in your mouth ... uh the meds were great so I didn't feel very much.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2004, 08:18 PM

Maxiofacial surgeon. All 4 out in 30 mins. Awake, but drugged. No solid food for a few days, but I used MRPs. Not alot of pain. Sold Tylenol 3s to a friend. Made $100.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2004, 08:41 PM

Had them out, wasn't fun at all.

Took just over 6 hours, for all 4. I was awake the entire time. Didn't hurt during the procedure though, but afterwards was a mess. They had to slice back my gums pretty far and each one came out in pieces. Very large and had corkscrew type roots holding on. They were in there parallel to the jaw, not perpendicular like the rest of your teeth. They had started pushing my teeth out of alignment (after just being in braces for 2 years) so they had to come out.

Couldn't get the bleeding to stop either. Had to go back later that afternoon and again the next day for additional stitches. In the mean time, I had gone thru all the gauze in the house and moved onto small towels. It was a mess. Well, finally called a real doctor (our family doctor) and he suggested using tea bags to aid in the clotting.

No problem right? Well if you like tea, sure. I don't. So much so, that even the smell of someone having it sets of a gag reflex. Try getting over that with 4 bags stuffed in your mouth. It was either that or bleed all over. I gagged, I spit and said **** it and bled thru the night. The second trip in for more stitches finally got it stopped.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2004, 09:28 PM

mmm percocet indeed. anyway, getting mine out was not too much of an ordeal. unfortunately i had to play a new year's gig on trumpet a week after getting them pulled. THAT was painful.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2004, 01:22 AM

Ouch well I just got the other two out, didn't hurt as much this time. I've had 4 T3s each day, tomorrow I think I'll be fine.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2004, 08:11 AM

This poll disappoints me. Right now only 5 people have anger. That is not enough anger to power me through the rest of the season. We need more anger!
Genius. You know who.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2004, 10:51 AM

I still have all four, with only the bottom right poking out with a gum flap. The top two are totally impacted. The dental office I previously went to was more concerned with marketing than dental care - they wanted to take all four out for some obscene figure. For years they attempted to frighten me into having the procedure done, telling me that the bottoms were food traps that would eventually lead to decay of the adjacent teeth. In contrast, my new dentist told me not to worry about the uppers and to only be concerned about the others if x-ray shows decay or they cause discomfort. I may well have an issue to deal with in the future, but so far so good.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

paully dub
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2004, 11:12 AM

I had mine taken out on a Sunday morning, at the only dentist I could find to do it at the last minute (woke up with the whole left side of my head in pain from the infection). An Indian guy, who's wife/nurse held me down as he yanked it out with a glorified pair of pliers. He then told be to take 4 advil and wait a while to eat. I went and saw Mighty Aphrodite, since I had nothing else to do for a few hours. It was just funny enough to take my mind of the pain and blood pouring from my mouth.

It sucked big time. Painful memories. That's why I voted for the last option.

Adopt-A-Yankee

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2004, 03:05 PM

You know I'm more appreciative of my dentist with every post I read

I'm still amazed I didn't get flamed for this

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2004, 03:23 PM

You know I'm more appreciative of my dentist with every post I read
I'm still amazed I didn't get flamed for this

Why in the world would you get flamed for this?
You only get flamed when you ask for it.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2004, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
Why in the world would you get flamed for this?
You only get flamed when you ask for it.
I got flamed when I posted that I got a new PowerBook. And when I got my iBook...

Anyway, yah... teeth are feeling half decent now... jaw hurts a bit though.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2004, 04:04 PM

I got flamed when I posted that I got a new PowerBook. And when I got my iBook...

Do you post on Anandtech?

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2004, 04:11 PM

Well I'm sure that you're tempted to flame people that start a whole new thread just to rub their shiny new $3000 computer in the faces of their fellow performa using MacNN readers. I may do a search for that thread and give you one more flame myself! What that has to do with an interesting poll regarding a near-universal human anatomical defect I don't know. Please don't derail your own thread! Want some Doritos?

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2004, 04:24 PM

I need to get mine removed asap. It hurts like a bitch right now. Just started really hurting in the last couple of days.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 24, 2004, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Mafia:
Homie knows what I be sayin.

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 24, 2004, 04:37 PM

"You can swallow a pint of blood before you get sick."

all 4 out. it's true.

Forum Links
Forum Rules