Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > When BlueSky talks...

When BlueSky talks...
BlueSky
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2010, 10:37 AM

I hate web pages that have the focus in the search field when I load them (save for google and a couple others of course). I use the arrow keys a lot for scrolling down, and having to click outside of the search field before doing so is a nuisance.

I look at The top news headlines on current events from Yahoo! News - Yahoo! News a few times a day, which has the offending search field focus and I finally sent an email last night asking them not to do that, it's unnecessary, nuisance, etc.

This morning it's fixed. If by chance there's anyone who has been bothered by this in the past, you're welcome. I take commissions.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2010, 10:44 AM

Right, so about those crappy slim Apple keyboards they have these days...

(Literally took one out of the wrapper a day ago. 24 hours later the "up" key has fallen off.)
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 31, 2010, 10:46 AM

If you could get them to bring back Crystal Pepsi, I'd be most appreciative.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2010, 10:58 AM

And Zima.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 31, 2010, 11:01 AM

I'm pretty sure Zima is still around. At least it was just a few years ago.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 31, 2010, 11:02 AM

Recently sugmug.com had a bug that caused a "proof" watermark to appear on images if the image was displayed on a high resolution monitor. Upon my initial complaint they said it was an error on my end and that I should just go through all of my galleries and make sure watermarking was turned off. I have over a hundred galleries and it took me about 3 hours to get it all done. After waiting a day the watermarking was still there. After about 10 emails back and forth a higher level engineer finally looked into it and saw it was a problem on their end. As an added plus their pages load much quicker since they made the fix.

[Names have been changed to protect the innocent]

Reply above this line, thanks!

Steve Mills [SmugMug Hero], Mar 29 07:30 am (MDT):
Hi "Railroader",

Thanks for your patience and diligence. Due to your email, and troubles, we were able to identify and track down a deep seated bug with watermarking. Please be sure to let us know if you come across anything else wonky with watermarking. We think we got it all!

All the best,

Steve Mills
SmugMug Support Hero
help - smugmug online help

"Railroader", Mar 26 10:00 am (MDT):
THANK YOU!!! I went through a dozen (plus) galleries today and everything looks fixed. Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate the work you did to correct the problem.

"Railroader"

"Railroader", Mar 25 04:22 pm (MDT):
Thanks!!! You can remove all watermarks. I think I've made all the sales I can off those that would need watermarking anyway.

Again, Thank you very much,
"Railroader"

Steve Mills [SmugMug Hero], Mar 25 03:18 pm (MDT):
Hi "Railroader",

Just to keep you up to date...

I spoke to one of our engineers for about 2 hours this afternoon, and we have tracked down a bug with watermarking. We'll be working on this over the next few days, and then some.

I do see there are galleries that still contain custom watermarking. Do you want this to persist, or can you confirm that every watermark on your entire site, new, old, PROOF or custom, you want gone?

Example: http://"Railroader"

Let me know how you'd like things!

All the best,

Steve Mills
SmugMug Support Hero

"Railroader", Mar 25 11:37 am (MDT):
Thank you!

"Railroader"

Steve Mills [SmugMug Hero], Mar 25 10:40 am (MDT):
Hi "Railroader",

Thanks for getting back to us.

I just gave you a call and left a voicemail message at "Railroader".

We're digging into this, and will get your site back in order if we need to go in one photo at a time. Give us a day or two to get things fixed up, and research how/why this happened.

If you have any questions or new discoveries, feel free to contact me directly (Attn: SteveM in the subject).

All the best,

Steve Mills
SmugMug Support Hero

"Railroader", Mar 25 10:18 am (MDT):
also, while viewing in the full browser window, there is no "proof" watermark in s, m, l, and x3 sizes, but your site puts the "proof" watermark on xl and xl2 sized pictures.

"Railroader", Mar 25 10:09 am (MDT):
I have some new info!!! If my web browser window (any web browser, safari, firefox, chrome) gets beyond a certain width, then your site adds "proof" to the main image. I have a 27" iMac, so I usually have my browser pretty wide.

Attached are two examples. Since it is occurring across all browsers, I assume it is something on your server site end.

"Railroader"

Attachments to this comment:
Screen_shot_2010-03-25_at_6.51.48_AM.jpg
Screen_shot_2010-03-25_at_6.52.06_AM.jpg

"Railroader", Mar 25 05:02 am (MDT):
I have some new info!!! If my web browser window (any web browser, safari, firefox, chrome) gets beyond a certain width, then your site adds "proof" to the main image. I have a 27" iMac, so I usually have my browser pretty wide.

Attached are two examples. Since it is occurring across all browsers, I assume it is something on your server site end.

"Railroader"

Attachments to this comment:
Screen_shot_2010-03-25_at_6.51.48_AM.png
Screen_shot_2010-03-25_at_6.52.06_AM.png

"Railroader", Mar 24 10:38 pm (MDT):
I clicked on this link:
http://"Railroader"
The same one I gave you in my last message, and I get an image with "proof" watermarked on it.

I cleared Safari's cache, I tried Firefox, and even tried Chrome. ALL render a watermarked image in that link above, but not on the first image in the gallery.

WHY WERE THE WATERMARKS ON THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE???? I did not put them on.

And, I will ask the same question again:
is there an option on your end to simply remove all watermarks from all of my pictures?

"Railroader"

Anthony Worthen [SmugMug Hero], Mar 24 10:26 pm (MDT):
Hi "Railroader",

Thanks for getting back to us.

We have taken a look at the gallery you gave us a link to and don't see any watermarks.
It can take a few minutes or as in your case a little longer.

For the slow loading try clearing your cache. Cache Safari

Clearing your cache in Safari is pretty easy. Just click on Safari and then select the Empty Cache... option.

If you have any more questions please ask.

Have a Nice Evening
Anthony
Support Hero
[email protected]

"Railroader", Mar 24 07:26 pm (MDT):
How long should I expect to wait before the watermarks disappear? One strange thing I am seeing is that the first picture of many of the galleries has the watermark removed, but clicking on other pictures deeper into the galleries the pictures still have watermarks, such as this one: http://"Railroader"
I patiently waited for each watermark tools page to load all of the thumbnails before I clicked select, remove, and then the "watermark" button.

Also, the thumbnails of the galleries are coming up quickly, but the main pictures are taking 10-15 seconds to load. Is there a server problem happening? It seems even worse on pictures with watermarks on them.

I have been a member of the site for a long time and this is the most frustrated and waste of time I have ever spent. It is particularly annoying since I did NOT select any options to add watermarks to these galleries int eh first place. Is there an option on your end to simply remove all watermarks from all of my pictures?

"Railroader"

Lindy Wilson [SmugMug Hero], Mar 24 03:14 pm (MDT):
Hi "Railroader",

Thank you for your email.

I just took a quick trip, and checked several galleries in those subcategories, and I'm not seeing any watermarks. Perhaps they just didn't disappear as quickly as you thought they should. As Ann explained, it can take a while, as we have to regenerate new display copies for each size of each image. If the site's busy, it can take a bit longer.

Please, if you have specific galleries, or images that still show watermarks, please send us a direct link.

All the best,
Lindy
SmugMug Support Hero

"Railroader", Mar 24 12:06 pm (MDT):
Almost all of the galleries in this category: http://"Railroader" have watermark problems. Particularly 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008 galleries.

I have went through all of the galleries for 2003, 2004, and 2005 (VERY tedious) and clicked "tools" "many photos-more", "watermarking", "select all", "remove", "Watermark".

That's 36 galleries total I have had to do that so far. VERY tedious work as I only have a 1Mb internet connection. And I am not even half done.

why doesn't changing the watermark setting on the gallery settings page remove the watermarks?!? that seems like a given to me. A very simple solution to the problem. Intuitive actually.

Ann McRae [SmugMug Hero], Mar 22 04:42 pm (MDT):
Hi "Railroader"

Thanks for getting back to us. We are sorry for your frustration. First, if the watermarks are on the photos, we will need to use the watermark tool in the gallery tools menu to remove them. Changing the watermark setting on the gallery settings page will not remove watermarks.

Sometimes, (un)watermarking can take quite a while, not just a minute or two. Sometimes, the watermarks are stubborn and we need to generate a new display copy to get the watermarks to go away. We do this by rotating the photos.

If you could please send us links to the galleries that have the unwanted watermarks we will certainly help you out and get rid of them for you.

Looking forward to your reply,

Ann
SmugMug Support Hero

"Railroader", Mar 22 04:19 pm (MDT):
I have also created a quick settings template and tried applying it to multiple galleries and it doesn't seem to do anything. I am trying everything to remove these watermarks and it just doesn't work. I don't want watermarks on ANY of my galleries and they keep popping up. When I create a new gallery I make sure that I have not turned on watermakring.

This is getting EXTREMELY frustrating!!!

"Railroader", Mar 22 03:57 pm (MDT):
The problem is not with newer galleries, but with older galleries. Some over 3 years old.

Josh Lawson [SmugMug Hero], Mar 22 03:17 pm (MDT):
Hi "Railroader",

Thanks for contacting SmugMug. If your images are being watermarked automatically, check the Tools > Gallery Settings screen. Watermarking should be set to No. If it's set to yes, any new images added to the gallery will automatically be watermarked. The Proof watermark is indeed the default SmugMug watermark. It's possible that you may be using a quick setting when you're initially creating your galleries that has the watermark setting turned on, so you may want to test this to see if this is the case, and use an appropriate quick setting when you initially create a gallery.

If you need to remove watermarks from a gallery, go to Tools > Many Photos > More > Watermarking. I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions, please let us know. Thank you, and have a great day!

Josh Lawson
SmugMug Support Hero

"Railroader", Mar 22 01:57 pm (MDT):
Hey Support Heroes,

I'm "Railroader", my site is http://"Railroader".smugmug.com, and I'm using Safari on Mac OS.

The question is:
For some reason watermarks have been added to a lot of my galleries I do NOT want them in. The problem is getting so bad that I tried to eliminate all watermarks in my account, but I am still getting a "proof" watermark, I assume that is a default watermark from smugmug.

----------------------------------------
Email Address:
"Railroader" <"Railroader".com>

User Admin:
http://smugmug.com/admin/userinfo.mg?NickName="Railroader"

Last Viewed Page:
help - Pros: How to use your own custom watermarks

Referring Page:
http://"Railroader".smugmug.com/homepage/watermarks.mg

User Agent:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_2; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.22.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Safari/531.22.7

-----------------------

To review the status of the request and add additional comments, follow the link below:
SmugMug Help Desk : Login

You can also add a comment by replying to this email.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 31, 2010, 11:07 AM

Wtf

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I'm pretty sure Zima is still around. At least it was just a few years ago.
http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou.../no-more-zima/

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 31, 2010, 11:20 AM

A year and half. Meanwhile Crystal Pepsi has been gone for over a decade!

Railroader
Banned
Mar 31, 2010, 12:32 PM

Wtf
Read from the bottom to the top.

I pay $150/year for Smugmug and also bring them sales profits from my photo biz. I expect a site that is perfect for that much. I do not want customers being annoyed by an intrusive watermark.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 31, 2010, 12:33 PM

Good for you, but that was obtrusive, uninteresting, and somewhat off-topic.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2010, 12:42 PM

That's what she said?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Right, so about those crappy slim Apple keyboards they have these days...

(Literally took one out of the wrapper a day ago. 24 hours later the "up" key has fallen off.)
I love my slim keyboard, and it is holding up perfectly.

I can't stand using big squishy keyboards anymore.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 31, 2010, 04:39 PM

Good for you, but that was obtrusive, uninteresting, and somewhat off-topic.
That hurt. Right here -->*heart*.

I thought the topic was getting change to occur. BlueSky had a problem and emailed someone and it was fixed. I had an issue and was able to make a massive change on a pretty prominent web site. Though I did have to use ALL CAPS a couple times... I am not proud of that... But it was on topic.

And it was interesting to me.

You are so selfish. Always only thinking about Dakar. How can this entertain Dakar? How can Dakar benefit from this? Well, I am tired of it. Sick. And. Tired.

It was a bit obtrusive. Sorry.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 31, 2010, 04:56 PM

I'd have been less blunt but you didn't format it or mention it needed to be read in reverse.

Also, your B.O. is just offensive.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 31, 2010, 06:32 PM

*crying*

Forum Links
Forum Rules