Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone still use (RPN) calculators?

Anyone still use (RPN) calculators?
Dork.
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2007, 02:37 PM

I had gotten into the habit of doing calculations in Excel lately at work, but I changed jobs this year, and at my new job I've found things that just scream for having a calculating device on-hand. I like RPN calculators, since they match the way I think.

I pine for the HP48GX I used in College, but that broke a long time ago. Anyone has any recommendations for a good RPN calculator?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2007, 03:28 PM

I had never heard of RPN calculators before.

I wiki'd it, but I'm not sure how usefull it would be for me

I'm an Excel-calculator person as well...

-t

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2007, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
They're freaking amazing. There shouldn't be other calculators.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2007, 03:43 PM

I have a 48G that's still around from when I was in college. It's missing one of the rubber feet, so it wobbles and that drives me nuts.

I mostly use an HP 12C now because of the financial features (and the RPN).

Dork.  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2007, 03:46 PM

RPN is good for engineering, especially when the display has multiple lines like my old HP did. I used the lines like a stack:

Typing "1" then enter would put a "1" onto the bottom of the "stack".
Typing a "2" then enter would put a "2" onto the bottom of the stack.
Typing a "+" would add the two numbers on the bottom of the stack, leaving a "3".

So it seems backwards to enter "1 Enter 2 Enter Plus" to add 1 and 2, but once you get used to the stack it makes complex calculations a lot easier.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2007, 04:16 PM

Ti-86 all the way.
we don't have time to stop for gas

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2007, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
So it seems backwards to enter "1 Enter 2 Enter Plus" to add 1 and 2, but once you get used to the stack it makes complex calculations a lot easier.
Why the heck would I do complex calculations on a calculator, and not Excel ?

There is no traceability and no way to verify that you didn't make a mistake while entering the numbers.

-t

Dork.  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2007, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Ti-86 all the way.
I did a little bit of looking around just now and I see the Ti series is still strong now, but I also found the HP50G. Decisions, decisions....

Dork.  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2007, 04:54 PM

There is no traceability and no way to verify that you didn't make a mistake while entering the numbers.

-t
For quick answers, there's no substitute for a good scientific calculator where every operation you would want is just two or three keystrokes away. And I'm finding plenty of times when I need quick answers to very complex math now....

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2007, 04:55 PM

I use my fingers a lot. Or pictures of dice in my head.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2007, 05:01 PM

For quick answers, there's no substitute for a good scientific calculator where every operation you would want is just two or three keystrokes away. And I'm finding plenty of times when I need quick answers to very complex math now....
Yeah, but that goes AGAINST the statement of COMPLEX calculations.

-t

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2007, 05:11 PM

been using Ti 89 and don't think i could stop using it

excel has nothing on the 89

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 26, 2007, 05:12 PM

-t
Unless your calculator offers traceability.

I did a little bit of looking around just now and I see the Ti series is still strong now, but I also found the HP50G. Decisions, decisions....
In engineering there is NOTHING but TI. I have a TI-89 Titanium, as do most of the engineers here. Some do have the TI-92 (this one), but I think it's a bit too bulky/nerdy for me. I had my sister (a first year business major) get an 89Ti also, just because it's leaps and bounds better than the TI-86 or 83 she was considering due to the easy calc functions and traceability.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2007, 05:12 PM

You actually only need to enter "1 enter 2 plus", so it's not any more keystrokes than a regular calculator - just a different order.

finboy
Sep 26, 2007, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
I have a 48G that's still around from when I was in college. It's missing one of the rubber feet, so it wobbles and that drives me nuts.

I mostly use an HP 12C now because of the financial features (and the RPN).
Most of the HPs now have the option of running in RPN. At least the expensive ones do. Lotsa folks still use the 12C because it's more robust (physically) than many of the newer models. That thing will last forever.

Plus, the newest 12cs will work in algebraic mode too.

Rumor
Sep 26, 2007, 06:13 PM

I use one of these bad boys.

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Dork.  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2007, 06:32 PM

You actually only need to enter "1 enter 2 plus", so it's not any more keystrokes than a regular calculator - just a different order.
I know, but I figured adding the extra keystroke would make the concept easier to understand....

Dave N
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2007, 11:19 PM

RPN is all I use

At home I have my "vintage" HP-11C, at work my newer HP-32S, and on my work Mac I have nonpareil HP simulator.

I really really really really wish that HP would put out a scientific calculator in the 11C or 15C format again. I would buy about 5 and just save them to use the rest of my life. Is HP even the same company it was when it made all of the great RPN calculators?
( Last edited by Dave N; Sep 27, 2007 at 08:16 AM. )

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2007, 07:00 AM

My Calculator.app is permanently in RPN mode. I also make my AP students implement an RPN calculator, so I keep spreading the joy every year.

fhoubi
Senior User
Sep 27, 2007, 11:32 AM

I have a HP-15C and 41CV both in mint condition. They still serve me well for now over 20 years. In a time HP was HP...
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

highstakes
Senior User
Sep 27, 2007, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by G4ME View Post

Amen. Couldn't use those calculators for some of the Calc tests, never felt so lost...

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2007, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
In engineering there is NOTHING but TI. I have a TI-89 Titanium, as do most of the engineers here.
Really? I know a variety of EE's, and they all use HP. Schools seem to focus on TI, but I find that the HP calculators are significantly better, part of which is due to the RPN functionality.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 27, 2007, 12:26 PM

Really? I know a variety of EE's, and they all use HP. Schools seem to focus on TI, but I find that the HP calculators are significantly better, part of which is due to the RPN functionality.
Well, that's just been my experience. In four years of school I can honestly say I've never seen anything but TI. I can't speak for the workplace and what people that have been in the industry for a while are using, but I can tell you what the next generation of engineers are going to have.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 27, 2007, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar
I had my sister (a first year business major) get an 89Ti also, just because it's leaps and bounds better than the TI-86 or 83 she was considering due to the easy calc functions and traceability.
I know sh́it-all about calculators, but I do remember liking the Ti-83. Very popular in high school with the kids who had maths.

My Ti-36X (just checked—I didn’t have a clue what number it had, and it took me a while just to find it) is more than complex enough for me.

And I hate doing calculations in Excel.

Originally Posted by turtle777
I had never heard of RPN calculators before.

I had never heard of RPN calculators before, either.

I wikied it, and it scared me.

Dork.  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2007, 12:51 PM

After looking around a bit, I decided against getting a shiny Graphing calculator, because I think a two-line calculator will do me just fine. And after looking at TI's non-graphing scientific calculators, I'm back to looking at HP's again....

Right now, I'm trying to decide of the 35s offers me anything more than the 33s....

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2007, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Well, that's just been my experience. In four years of school I can honestly say I've never seen anything but TI. I can't speak for the workplace and what people that have been in the industry for a while are using, but I can tell you what the next generation of engineers are going to have.
When I was in school, it was all TI as well. I think TI caters to schools. In the finance world, the HP-12C is dominant, really dominant. Oddly, many business schools teach specifically to TI financial calculators (I forget which model). Odds are, though, your CFO has as 12C in his/her pocket.

In our house, there's a TI-81, TI-85, TI-92, HP-48G, and HP-12C. All three TIs are the result of the fact that they were required for classes. The TIs are easy to learn and do well. The HPs are hard to learn, but more powerful once you do learn them.

memento
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2007, 02:55 PM

I think it's a personal choice. When I was in Engineering school, like 1/3 of the people swore by their RPN. I tried it. Didn't like it. It's didn't help me with complex calculations anyway. I always wrote out the equations so that I could go back to them and see what I did. It seemed that none of the nuclear engineers (like me) used them and more electrical engineers did than anyone. I don't know any mechanical engineers who did either. Maybe it's an EE thing?
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2007, 04:41 PM

Never had one… I had a CASIO fx-8000G sci-graphic calculator which was great to draw 96*64 pixels pictures all day… pixel by pixel !!, that was like twenty years ago

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 27, 2007, 10:49 PM

You BETCHA!!! I have an HP 15-C that still is on it's third set of batteries. Can't beat RPN for efficiency!

One of my projects in college was writing an RPN calculator application in Pascal (yes, this was a LONG time ago). It was a very cool project and very enjoyable. Then we had to follow that up with -without using the built in math functions, just like in the RPN project- a calculator app that ran like a simple TI calculator. That got to be hard.

I should point out that this really isn't an EE thing, or even a programmer of any kind of engineer thing. My wife, a registered nurse, uses my 15-C all the time and loves it. It's a great model that works very efficiently.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

loki74
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2007, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by G4ME View Post

too true...

I'm not sure what the allure of entering "[2] [enter] [4] [+]" is, but being able to enter "d/dx (x^4+3x^3-x^2+45)" or "factor(3x^2+2x-5)" is nice.....

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2007, 12:24 AM

I used an RPN calculator (an HP scientific, can't recall the model, but it was programmable, graphing, etc) in college for a couple years. Haven't needed to do any heavy calculator work since, so I don't need RPN any longer.
But for calculus, statistics and physics, RPN was fantastic.

Edit: It was an HP 48SX I believe. Got it when it first came out in 1990.

mindwaves
Sep 28, 2007, 01:03 AM

Casio Algebra FX 2.0

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2007, 01:43 AM

When I was in school, it was all TI as well. I think TI caters to schools. In the finance world, the HP-12C is dominant, really dominant. Oddly, many business schools teach specifically to TI financial calculators (I forget which model). Odds are, though, your CFO has as 12C in his/her pocket.

In our house, there's a TI-81, TI-85, TI-92, HP-48G, and HP-12C. All three TIs are the result of the fact that they were required for classes. The TIs are easy to learn and do well. The HPs are hard to learn, but more powerful once you do learn them.
That would be the TI-BA II Plus. It's crazy popular at business schools. In fact some textbooks are written with instructions specifically for the TI.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2007, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by loki74 View Post
I'm not sure what the allure of entering "[2] [enter] [4] [+]" is, but being able to enter "d/dx (x^4+3x^3-x^2+45)" or "factor(3x^2+2x-5)" is nice.....
2 enter 4 + was too simple to explain the benefit. The HPs can do the derivatives as well.

When you enter (2+4)^2 * (6-2) on an RPN, you enter

2 [enter] 4 [+] 2 [enter] [y^x] 6 [enter] 2 [-][*]

The result is that you see the result of 2+4 (6), then 6^2 (36), then 6-2 (4), then 36*4 (144). You get to see the intermediate results of the calculations, which helps with understanding the parameters of the problem you are working on. When you enter (2+4)^2 * (6-2) [enter] on an non-RPN calculator, you just get 144. The RPN is 12 keys, the non-RPN is 14 keystrokes. It takes fewer keystrokes and gives you more information along the way.

fhoubi
Senior User
Sep 28, 2007, 08:36 AM

2 [enter] 4 [+] 2 [enter] [y^x] 6 [enter] 2 [-][*]
2 [enter] 4 [+] 2 [y^x] 6 [enter] 2 [-][*]

Fixed. You just need [ENTER] to (either stack manually or) differentiate between 2 numeric inputs... After an operation [+], [Sqrt] or whatever it will be stacked automatically. Or alternative:

2 [enter] 4 [+] [x^2] 6 [enter] 2 [-][*]

11 or 10 keystrokes...
( Last edited by fhoubi; Sep 28, 2007 at 08:43 AM. )
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2007, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by fhoubi View Post
Fixed.
I will admit to being a bit rusty on it, and not having one in front of me right now.

Dork.  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2007, 05:39 PM

Yay! I found my wife's HP48G from when she was in college, and it works! So I don't have to shell out for a calculator now. I even found the manuals!

On a side note, it seems like nobody is marketing calculators to professionals anymore. TI seems to have given up catering to the professional market entirely, as all of its calculators are marketed based on what standardized tests they are approved for.

HP calculators are all but nonexistent in the brick-and-mortar stores I went to. Before dropping $60 or $90 on a calculator, I at least wanted to try it out....

gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2007, 01:01 AM

Here are a few RPN calculators for Mac OS X.

RLM Tools
Emu48 for Mac OS X

Forum Links
Forum Rules