Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Casting Couch Takes Pity on the Potted Plant: Weinstein

The Casting Couch Takes Pity on the Potted Plant: Weinstein (Page 6)
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2017, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Chongo, you seem very interested in someone who is not president. Seems like the media is leading you around by the nose.
The media, the church, the GOP. America is full of sheep that don't think they are sheep.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2017, 01:43 AM

Totally, and that's the misconnection that Chongo and other are making.
Which misconnect?

I’m saying the right, at least in terms relative to the left, don’t give a shit about harassment.

So, Moore gets a pass, and the people who do ostensibly give a shit get laughed at when they break their own code.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2017, 09:10 AM

Chongo, you seem very interested in someone who is not president. Seems like the media is leading you around by the nose. Have you spent a similar amount of time concerned about the record of the person you voted for, the person who is president?
The Atlantic and Chris Hayes of MSDNC?
You should be asking this of Chris Hayes. He’s the one that tweeted that it is time to reckon with the Clinton allegations.
( Last edited by Chongo; Nov 15, 2017 at 09:21 AM. )
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2017, 09:17 AM

45/47

P
Nov 15, 2017, 10:25 AM

Yes, yes it is. Gizmodo is former Gawker, they got banned from CES for life after disrupting the show with a TV-B-gone for funsies, and just barely avoided charges for buying an obviously stolen iPhone 4 prototype. So yes, they're fake news in general. They may be right here, but I am not going to take their word for anything.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 15, 2017, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
The Atlantic and Chris Hayes of MSDNC?
You should be asking this of Chris Hayes. He’s the one that tweeted that it is time to reckon with the Clinton allegations.
I don't know who that is, he's not here posting about the Clintons every time the indiscretions of the current president are brought up.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 15, 2017, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Yes, yes it is. Gizmodo is former Gawker, they got banned from CES for life after disrupting the show with a TV-B-gone for funsies, and just barely avoided charges for buying an obviously stolen iPhone 4 prototype. So yes, they're fake news in general. They may be right here, but I am not going to take their word for anything.
How are either of those things related to whether or not the articles they post are factual?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 15, 2017, 06:42 PM

Gawker being brought up is timely, because a lot of the people being outed were previously featured on Gawker because of the rumors swirling around them.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2017, 07:44 PM

I don't know who that is, he's not here posting about the Clintons every time the indiscretions of the current president are brought up.
Chris Hayes is an MSDNC host. Billery made Trump possible.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/so-fem...a-cad-or-worse
Still, it should be said that so-called feminists and liberals who defended Bill Clinton have, to some degree, helped create the environment we are living in today. Ideas have consequences. And one of those consequences is President Donald J. Trump.
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2017, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Chris Hayes is an MSDNC host. Billery made Trump possible.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/so-fem...a-cad-or-worse
No, the people that voted for Trump made Trump possible. Like you. Have you reviewed the Wikipedia article I posted yet?

Wait, did we really just get a "Trump is Hillary's fault"? "If it wasn't for the Clintons, we wouldn't be facing such a shitshow right now!"

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2017, 08:35 PM

So sayeth the LW Daily Beast.
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2017, 08:54 PM

No, you're saying it. Right here. I'm noticing a real dearth of personal responsibility. You knew what he was and you voted for him.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2017, 11:14 PM

No, you're saying it. Right here. I'm noticing a real dearth of personal responsibility. You knew what he was and you voted for him.
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2017, 11:56 PM

Posting a picture to avoid some honest self-reflection? Who would have guessed?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2017, 12:56 AM

Ron Richards, one of the show specific hosts at TWiT was hired by Marvel, and now he’s being outed as a serial harasser.

It’s TWiT, so I’m required to mention it by law.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2017, 11:36 AM

45/47

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 16, 2017, 12:23 PM

Ugh. Of course it has to be my favorite senator. In some sense it makes sense he'd be the first to get nailed - comedians do some messed up stuff.

The woman's story is also a Weinstein quality horrorshow. He abuses his position to write a sketch to gratify his urges, then goes even further and tries to double-dip by 'rehearsing '. And despite her airing her disapproval and calling him out on his obviousness she gets berated into capitulating.

The situation was a social mine field, too. If she had pulled out of the sketch she'd likely been painted as humorless and possibly unpatriotic.

Frankens has issued the weakest of denials, positioning this as some kind of disagreement of memory it details. Hard to see why anyone should accept his statement.

andi*pandi
Nov 16, 2017, 12:38 PM

If he could produce a script that had the turnaway written as part of the act, perhaps. Wonder what his "recollection" is, and if perhaps lawyers don't want him to go into detail.

The picture is a definite jackass move, but it doesn't look like actual groping, just pretend groping. Locker room behavior? Who took the picture?

I am also disappointed in him, but it's still no Roy Moore, or Weinstein.

Chongo, we've had the conversation about your grandmother, I do recall. It was common for widowers to marry the wife's sister, true. Wonder what she thought though? Do you recall my story about my great grandmother, raped at 12 and the idea of justice was forcing her to marry her rapist? Just because something was done a hundred years ago does not mean it is still right, or that Alabama gets to pretend it's living in a time warp, or that since St. Joseph did it it's still cool.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 16, 2017, 12:51 PM

I agree that the picture isn't groping but it lends credibility to the rest of the story.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2017, 03:40 PM

Conservatives need to stop pretending that they believe in personal responsibility.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 16, 2017, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Conservatives need to stop pretending that they believe in personal responsibility.
No they need to stop pretending they care about morality.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2017, 06:30 PM

How'd I know Chongo was going to be the first to jump on this one?

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Frankens has issued the weakest of denials, positioning this as some kind of disagreement of memory it details. Hard to see why anyone should accept his statement.
He came back with something better.

“The first thing I want to do is apologize: to Leeann, to everyone else who was part of that tour, to everyone who has worked for me, to everyone I represent, and to everyone who counts on me to be an ally and supporter and champion of women. There's more I want to say, but the first and most important thing—and if it's the only thing you care to hear, that's fine—is: I'm sorry.

“I respect women. I don't respect men who don't. And the fact that my own actions have given people a good reason to doubt that makes me feel ashamed.

“But I want to say something else, too. Over the last few months, all of us—including and especially men who respect women—have been forced to take a good, hard look at our own actions and think (perhaps, shamefully, for the first time) about how those actions have affected women.

“For instance, that picture. I don't know what was in my head when I took that picture, and it doesn't matter. There's no excuse. I look at it now and I feel disgusted with myself. It isn't funny. It's completely inappropriate. It's obvious how Leeann would feel violated by that picture. And, what's more, I can see how millions of other women would feel violated by it—women who have had similar experiences in their own lives, women who fear having those experiences, women who look up to me, women who have counted on me.

“Coming from the world of comedy, I've told and written a lot of jokes that I once thought were funny but later came to realize were just plain offensive. But the intentions behind my actions aren't the point at all. It's the impact these jokes had on others that matters. And I'm sorry it's taken me so long to come to terms with that.

“While I don't remember the rehearsal for the skit as Leeann does, I understand why we need to listen to and believe women’s experiences.

“I am asking that an ethics investigation be undertaken, and I will gladly cooperate.

“And the truth is, what people think of me in light of this is far less important than what people think of women who continue to come forward to tell their stories. They deserve to be heard, and believed. And they deserve to know that I am their ally and supporter. I have let them down and am committed to making it up to them.”

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 16, 2017, 06:37 PM

I'm more gobsmacked that the women who made the accusation both accepted his apology and said he shouldn't resign.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2017, 06:55 PM

Louis C.K. got to deny and redirect for years, Franken got mere hours.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2017, 10:35 AM

Trump decided to comment on Franken from his secure bunker on Twitter.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2017, 12:28 PM

Answer: they grab her pussy.

And she lets him do it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2017, 12:52 PM

I like how they have pictures and he tries to imply even worse happened. Guess it wasn't locker room humor to him

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2017, 01:04 PM

Trump knows what makes it actually funny is to see the fear in their eyes.

andi*pandi
Nov 17, 2017, 01:57 PM

They chose to out Franken now in hopes it would distract from Moore. I find it amazing so many support Moore, with all the evidence, but to them it is fake news.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2017, 02:35 PM

I don't know if this was 'timed' but then trying to equate this with a alleged pedophile is annoyingly par for the course

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2017, 05:31 PM

Stone knew about it a day before. It makes it sound like they were holding onto the picture for an opportune moment.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...ion-was-coming

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2017, 05:53 PM

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...utmost-respect

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/360...ts-his-apology

Chongo: Considering the response to this incident, do you think it's a case of the media going easy on Franken because he's a democrat and one of theirs?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2017, 06:00 PM

Stone knew about it a day before. It makes it sound like they were holding onto the picture for an opportune moment.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...ion-was-coming
A day before doesn't say timed to me so much as heads-up. Stone obviously has great connections though since he knew when oppo drops were coming in 2016

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2017, 02:07 PM

Looks like Stone Age hacker John Draper (a/k/a Cap’n Crunch) is going down.

Can’t say this one is a surprise, though I wasn’t expecting the part where he jumps on people’s backs and tries to ride them like a pony.

Obligatory “pen-test” joke.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2017, 08:21 AM

Cernovich uses Buzzfeed to whack Conyors.

The plot thickens. Who fed the story to Cernovich?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2017, 11:21 AM

The bloom is off the Rose.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2017, 11:49 AM

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...utmost-respect

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/360...ts-his-apology

Chongo: Considering the response to this incident, do you think it's a case of the media going easy on Franken because he's a democrat and one of theirs?
45/47

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 21, 2017, 11:52 AM

Conyers going old school and denying when the press has already posted the receipts.

Franken needs to go. Funny how it's never just one incident.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2017, 07:02 PM

John Lassiter. Ka-chow.

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2017, 12:32 AM

Where does it end? Yowza...

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2017, 02:19 PM

This pic may not be what it looks like. It also may be exactly what it looks like.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2017, 10:35 PM

Yowzers

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2017, 01:01 PM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 27, 2017, 02:47 PM

He's 88. Probably another one getting the Alzheimer's medication in congress.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2017, 03:06 PM

I shall spare the world from my dark poetry, but it involved a naked Secretary of Pajamas.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2017, 04:02 PM

Pelosi says Conyers deserves due process, for something that has already been through a process that resulted in a cash settlement.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...-ranks-n824041
WASHINGTON — House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi's comments about sexual harassment allegations in her party's own ranks touched off a fierce blowback not only from Republicans, but also from progressives, who said they feared it muddled the Democrats' message on misconduct by putting politics ahead of protecting women.

In an interview Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press," Pelosi, D-Calif., offered supportive words for Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., who has been accused of sexually harassing former members of his congressional staff and who reached a taxpayer-funded settlement with one accuser who said she was fired for rejecting his advances.

Pelosi praised Conyers, who has denied the allegations, as an "icon," questioned the identity of his accusers and declined to call for his resignation — all within moments of having hailed the "zero tolerance" movement against sexual misconduct as "transformative ... so wholesome, so refreshing, so different."

"We have no moral high ground against the likes of Roy Moore if we sit by in silence when Al Franken and John Conyers get to sit in their seats," Democratic strategist Lis Smith said. "We can't be the party that says we stand up for women only when it's politically convenient — we have to apply the same standards to ourselves."
45/47

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 27, 2017, 04:03 PM

Pelosi is the perfect example of a woman who helps keep abusers in power.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 27, 2017, 11:31 PM

Speaking on ABC's "This Week," Cokie Roberts made a startling admission: "every female in the press corps knew" to avoid being in an elevator with Rep. John Conyers (D-MI), and has apparently known about this "for years."
Jesus christ, cut him loose! Democrats eating a massive hypocrisy sandwich if they don't.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 28, 2017, 01:11 AM

"No take backsies"

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2017, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
"No take backsies"
Using Wade-Giles, it’s “live with it... bitch”.

Forum Links
Forum Rules