Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Fear Utopia is live

Fear Utopia is live
JoE950
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2004, 12:17 AM

let the crabbing begin!

www.fearutopia.com

but seriously, i want art. if you read the introductory post on the home page regarding what i want for the gallery, youll understand. otherwise enjoy the site exclusive, brand new, wallpaper, "FU Funeral". its about the only colored object on the site, so it shouldnt be hard to find

if you are reading this by mistake, and were hoping for what you call "actual" gui news, i suggest you stop reading now, before you start up with the PMS posts. pansy!

orangep0ny
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2004, 12:23 AM

how did you know I was going to reply?
you added a js download to your post? how silly is that. hey but yea lets get guistain going or something or else im going to steal your site design for it.

brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2004, 12:35 AM

that is a way groovy site.Thanks for the heads up.Still no PayPal link? As always you got some dope gigz.Hail Joe!
"I'm a Grey Chicken" - This is what my African Grey said . She did not learn it from me. www.screaminmoon.com

the_plan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2004, 01:00 AM

Very cool design... I was very into it, but something just turned me off...

Maybe it's the total "F*** YOU" to conservative theme-enthusiasts.

Oh well... it's not the first time great stuff has been ruined by a designer's lack of self-control. I just wonder why some people can't manage to make 2 separate sites... one for design stuff (which you have a great talent for) and one for political rants.

But I'll just take my own advice for now and say "if you don't like it, don't look at it." Otherwise, nice work.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 01:09 AM

Really dig the new layout. I've always loved your style. Artdeco rocks. Time to use FP 3 again.

Oh btw I've been working on my site too if anyone is interested. (click the gear in my sig) I hope to have my own theme download page on it before too long too.

And yes I'll have time for GUIstain now if you guys are into that idea still.
click one

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2004, 01:15 AM

looking nice.

interesting to see all of the FP themes together as well. what an evolution...

JoE950  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2004, 01:21 AM

i guess i am a little outright with my views, but really its all just (my opinion of) funny filler until i get some actual content for those pages. i suppose someone peeing on osama bin laden would have been more popular, but the whole "Fear Utopia" thing is pretty anti social, so i guess that sums it up!

i really dont want this to be just another GUI site, even though it currently is. im a big fan of debates, and what better to argue about than politics? of course my FORUM is probably a better place to have anything out, than here on macnn... =)

i really hope my design work isnt ruined... if so i can easily swap it out for some pictures of bunnies!

the_plan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2004, 03:15 AM

Neh, I'm not looking for any kind of debate in here. I just thought I would offer my opinion that there are great Mac design contributors from all political spectrums, and that putting such abrasive images up might be an immediate turn off. I loathe political correctness, and I like a good political jab or two, but that is some blunt stuff.
I'm fond of your work, no matter what your politics are... I just thought I would say that if you're going to offer something that you want all types of people to use, it might be helpful to not turn some of them off from the get-go. But in the end, you could not give a hoot what any "right-wing nut job" thinks about your site and press on just fine. I just wanted to offer my two cents. Don't worry about the bunny pictures... just be willing to accept some anti-democrat artwork for your site

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2004, 12:50 PM

I'm not liking that picture on the gallery page.

Jaos
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2004, 01:17 PM

I like it

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2004, 02:22 PM

Well I have to applaud your site and it's political content. Brave move. And I wonder if those kvetching about the anti bush images have ever written to a site owner with one of those moronic 360 degree rotating jesus fish or cross. Somehow I doubt it.
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

jerseyfreeze
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2004, 02:56 PM

While I appreciate some jabs at both political parties, there is such a thing as crossing the line. Some of the images on your Web site cross the line and I won't be visiting it again.

I hope you'll remove them.

-Jason

the_plan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2004, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by gdiddy:
Well I have to applaud your site and it's political content. Brave move. And I wonder if those kvetching about the anti bush images have ever written to a site owner with one of those moronic 360 degree rotating jesus fish or cross. Somehow I doubt it.
First of all, I find it funny that you would not only assume everyone complaining about the images is a republican, but it's also amusing that you also assume that everyone that is a Bush supporter is a Christian. Secondly, I don't have any qualms whatsoever with positive imagery... A rotating Jesus fish is not anti-anything. I would have absolutely no problems with a pro-democrat or pro-Kerry image on the site... And thirdly, if I went to a design/art/theme site and saw anti-Kerry or anti-liberal images, I would think it's just as out-of-place and inappropriate. Just because it fits with your political ideology doesn't make it fine. Can you honestly say you would be applauding the site if there was an image of Kerry as Stalin up there?

JoE950  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2004, 04:04 PM

woah... keep it clean here..

www.fearutopia.com/forum.html

take the arguments there.

by the way, a stalin/kerry banner would be really sweet!

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2004, 04:35 PM

" Just because it fits with your political ideology doesn't make it fine"

Sure it does. I think it is just fine. And I was voicing my opinion. Don't like it? Don't visit the site. And by all means make up that Stalin/Kerry image.

Joe - continue crossing that line. It's the only way you will get anywhere.

On a side note, I am now off to badger people who run websites with images I don't agree with. I have nothing better to do with my time.
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2004, 04:50 PM

It's funny when it's tasteful bipartisan bashing ala JibJab.
I think both are pretty inappropriate. Kerry isn't Stalin, and Bush isn't Hitler (although Stalin and Hitler are not polar opposites, neither is Bush and Kerry)

[Can't decipher that one. Looks like someone old, like Churchill]

Say, how bout you put some of my stuff on your site?

C o r p
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2004, 05:00 PM

awsome site, I can't wait to see where it goes. Keep up the good work

sheer
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2004, 05:16 PM

" Just because it fits with your political ideology doesn't make it fine"

Sure it does. I think it is just fine. And I was voicing my opinion. Don't like it? Don't visit the site. And by all means make up that Stalin/Kerry image.

Joe - continue crossing that line. It's the only way you will get anywhere.

On a side note, I am now off to badger people who run websites with images I don't agree with. I have nothing better to do with my time.
wise words indeed

JoE950  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2004, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by CreepingDeth:
Say, how bout you put some of my stuff on your site?
what stuff is this you speak of? give it to me!

and its fine with me if yall wont visit my site again. however, i wish some of you would... i like the negative input. it shows you really care about my work and it makes me feel just shy of important!

But seriously, please hang out with us and share your thoughts and dreams. i like to hear peoples hopes for the future.. im tired of thinking that all americans want is to get lazier in front of bigger tvs... it would help a lot of people feel better about our country if it started giving more of a damn about the future of its self.

our founding was paved in the blood of our own, the british, and the native americans they stole the land from.... our own people stood up for themselves with very little help from anyone. our own people fought each other to free the slaves and keep the country united. so why are we now forced by our leaders to help liberate countries that dont want liberation bad enough to fight for it themselves?

JoE950  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2004, 09:12 PM

seriously, its seems like america is just bent on world domination...

Komisar
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by JoE950:
seriously, its seems like america is just bent on world domination...
They are saving that till next tuesday

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2004, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by Komisar:
They are saving that till next tuesday

Damnit. You're not supposed to repeat anything on the PNAC charter!!! You're ruining our secret cabal!

Here are a couple hackjobs I did awhile back.

Daddy�
Purple Heart Ketchup
Guess Who's Pitchboard! [I hated this one]
And there was this one logo I made for something. I just forget which.
Metal Strike
And this little sketch of a picture I wanted to make in PS. I just need to find a good tut on cel shading.
Scaled Picture
Original Size
The Logo

You can have the politics as long as it's not Nazi comparisons (and such) and if it's balanced.

fireside
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2004, 10:39 PM

You can have the politics as long as it's not Nazi comparisons (and such) and if it's balanced.
like Fox�

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 10:43 PM

it's not the first time great stuff has been ruined by a designer's lack of self-control. I just wonder why some people can't manage to make 2 separate sites... one for design stuff (which you have a great talent for) and one for political rants.
AGREED, I'm all for your freedom of speech but I'm here to tell you, if you're going to have your resume on a website, never ever have it on the same site as your personal stuff. I have a new blog but will never link to it from my homepage simply because it's not appropriate.

If you ask professionals, they'll tell you that if they go to a website for a resume and there is any 'personal info' such as politics or anti/pro imagery, it turns them away immediately because they are looking for as much of an unbiased image of your abilities as possible.

If you plan on finding employment with your resume, I'd strongly suggest a different website for portfolio work and a resume and then you can go hogwild with fearutopia and not worry about your dream job falling out of the window because they happen to see a side of you that turned them off.

Mac Guru

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2004, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:
AGREED, I'm all for your freedom of speech but I'm here to tell you, if you're going to have your resume on a website, never ever have it on the same site as your personal stuff. I have a new blog but will never link to it from my homepage simply because it's not appropriate.

If you ask professionals, they'll tell you that if they go to a website for a resume and there is any 'personal info' such as politics or anti/pro imagery, it turns them away immediately because they are looking for as much of an unbiased image of your abilities as possible.

If you plan on finding employment with your resume, I'd strongly suggest a different website for portfolio work and a resume and then you can go hogwild with fearutopia and not worry about your dream job falling out of the window because they happen to see a side of you that turned them off.

Mac Guru
You beat me to it. I was going to suggest a site for GUI/personal and a site for portfolio/resume, maybe without a direct link between them.
Trust me, keeping the politics out of most of your work to put on portfolios, etc., is good advice.

BTW, I'm glad Fireside is on Ignore. I bet you $5 I know what he said.

fireside
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2004, 10:55 PM

BTW, I'm glad Fireside is on Ignore. I bet you $5 I know what he said.
now i'm curious. someone ask him what he thinks i said.

btw, i like the site Joe. looks very Fear.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 10:56 PM

what do you think he said creeping death?

JoE950  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2004, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:

Mac Guru
Dude, i would totally agree with you, but i have a great job, and they are pro bush all the way. they all pointed and laughed at me post election day. so i threw paperclips at them. that showed them they put the wrong guy in office, by god!.....

but as i think about it more, i realize that if i could find the same quality position somewhere that liked me for what i stand for, and the things i feel strongly about, that i would love my job 123 times more than i love my current one... wouldnt that be a little less shallow than a position where i live in constant Fear of my employer finding out that i hold secret frog burning ceremonies in my basement? its too bad its hard enough to find a job.. let alone a good one with good working relationships.. maybe people should treat business more like dating...? maybe more honesty up front, with out all the BS most people spill all over interviewers, would be better? oh well, its not like i would get a job based on my artwork anyways. prepress 4 life g!

oh yes, i almost forgot, thanks to all who love the site and cant wait for more content! im on my knees typing this begging you to contribute to the cause!

JoE950  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2004, 11:52 PM

oh and Creeping Death, i laughed pretty hard at the atomic bomb one, but the second was lame and hardly shocking... how are people supposed to get their panties in a twist quickly if they actually have to read something more than 5 words?

the third is amazing but still too wordy, a simple john kerry = joseph stalin would suffice.

ok kids, its my bed time. i gotta wake up extra early to make MORE ENVELOPES!

(i really hate politics and i just thought the image of bush and hitler was fn hilarious, obviously someone in jereselem thought so too, and hung the banner, or maybe they just really hate bush.. i guess ill never know)

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 11:57 PM

Keep up the good work, you are a very talented artist. I wish I could illustrate as well as you can.

Mac Guru

fireside
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2004, 12:07 AM

by the way, on your FP Funeral wallpaper, could you offer a version or something that doesn't have the fear platinum logo in the lower right side? its kinda distracting.

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2004, 09:01 AM

hey we can all put our resumes up on guistain once i get it up!!!?!?! sweet!! ok anyways. yup politics suck and im glad there are people out there who live them and are so passionate. Makes me worry less that I don't care at all about it. The site looks great.. I did major updates to the other one if you saved your history you can check it out again.. be sure to click on the logo also..

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2004, 12:05 PM

Dude, i would totally agree with you, but i have a great job, and they are pro bush all the way. they all pointed and laughed at me post election day. so i threw paperclips at them. that showed them they put the wrong guy in office, by god!.....

but as i think about it more, i realize that if i could find the same quality position somewhere that liked me for what i stand for, and the things i feel strongly about, that i would love my job 123 times more than i love my current one... wouldnt that be a little less shallow than a position where i live in constant Fear of my employer finding out that i hold secret frog burning ceremonies in my basement? its too bad its hard enough to find a job.. let alone a good one with good working relationships.. maybe people should treat business more like dating...? maybe more honesty up front, with out all the BS most people spill all over interviewers, would be better? oh well, its not like i would get a job based on my artwork anyways. prepress 4 life g!

oh yes, i almost forgot, thanks to all who love the site and cant wait for more content! im on my knees typing this begging you to contribute to the cause!
By all means, listen to the folks who tell you to hide your personal preferences in order to secure employment at a job with people who's principles you don't agree with and who probably wouldn't bat an eye over firing you if they found out about the Frog Burning. - as long as you are making the almighty Big Bucks. That's what matters most.

I have to say I am impressed with you attitude. Except the part about not getting a job based on you artwork. You have more talent than a lot of the hacks who have posted here so far - stick with it.

Altix
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2004, 12:49 PM

I love your site. Nice design, cool content and a stand against the norm.

Keep it up, I'll be visiting it regularly.
"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like tea. Now you put tea into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put tea into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now tea can flow, or it can crash... Be tea my Friend..." -Bruce Lee and Erilaz

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2004, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by Komisar:
what do you think he said creeping death?

It probably had something to do with the "balanced" political view comment I made. So most likely it's a Fox news bash.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2004, 01:00 PM

oh and Creeping Death, i laughed pretty hard at the atomic bomb one, but the second was lame and hardly shocking... how are people supposed to get their panties in a twist quickly if they actually have to read something more than 5 words?

the third is amazing but still too wordy, a simple john kerry = joseph stalin would suffice.

ok kids, its my bed time. i gotta wake up extra early to make MORE ENVELOPES!

(i really hate politics and i just thought the image of bush and hitler was fn hilarious, obviously someone in jereselem thought so too, and hung the banner, or maybe they just really hate bush.. i guess ill never know)
I liked the first one the best, hence its place at the top. The second one wasn't supposed to be "OMFGTWF?!" The third one was a little while back when Kerry aided socialist causes. Its supposed to be some fanatic's board of heroes. If I wanted to say Kerry=Stalin, which was not my intention, I would have parodied that picture (seen it before, some troll posted it in the PL).

That bomb one was pretty hard to do. I has to blen two different images together. Then I fooled around with bluring images and using Color instead of Normal. Then I added some noise. If you use Levels to make the noise completly black and white and get rid of all the black and set it to Soft Light you get that dusty/ashy look. Basically it was my lighting style eperiment. Without those I could have never gotten those extreme color differences near the blast.

fireside
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2004, 02:35 PM

siMac
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2004, 03:34 PM

By all means, listen to the folks who tell you to hide your personal preferences in order to secure employment at a job with people who's principles you don't agree with and who probably wouldn't bat an eye over firing you if they found out about the Frog Burning. - as long as you are making the almighty Big Bucks. That's what matters most.

And to the rest of you, if you want to carry on enjoying decent artwork you're going to have to accept that a lot of artists are left wing, it's the whole creation over destruction thing. If he wants to dish out his art and his opinions together, for free, then you'll just have to like it or lump it, as they say.

prepress 4 life g!
Yeah baby, biggin' up the prepress crew! Keep on trapping...

(Ahem)
( Last edited by siMac; Dec 9, 2004 at 03:41 PM. )
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

siMac
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2004, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
like Fox�
Indeed.

(OMG, did I just agree with fireside?)
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

JoE950  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2004, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by fireside:
by the way, on your FP Funeral wallpaper, could you offer a version or something that doesn't have the fear platinum logo in the lower right side? its kinda distracting.
here you go FearPlatinum3x.jpg. im only going to release this here. so get it while its hot!

[edit] you can also take the Fear Utopia Funeral jpg and convert it to grey scale, if youd like one with the FU logo on it. its a much slicker looking logo, i think..

skellington
Dec 10, 2004, 01:04 PM

wow, wonderful theme!!!!!
i use fear platinum3 today
kenichi yoshida
www.kenichiyoshida.jp

fireside
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2004, 01:20 AM

[edit] you can also take the Fear Utopia Funeral jpg and convert it to grey scale, if youd like one with the FU logo on it. its a much slicker looking logo, i think..
do you mean the logo as the thing in the shield? i already got a grey scale on like that, david sent it to me. but i like the logo on the FP shield better.

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2004, 09:23 AM

your site, post whatever you want. nicely executed stuff I think it's really good, would like to see more gallery content

JoE950  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2004, 02:48 PM

so make something for the gallery.

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2004, 05:12 AM

I imagine mine will be more controversial then yours

Forum Links
Forum Rules