Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > apps appearing twice in open with

apps appearing twice in open with
nuggetman
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2005, 03:38 PM

Subject says it all - this is a fresh tiger install and all programs like Photoshop, Preview, QuickTime, etc have two entries in the "open with" menu. I don't have any other system folders on here and using Spotlight only yeilds one copy of each program.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2005, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by nuggetman
Subject says it all - this is a fresh tiger install and all programs like Photoshop, Preview, QuickTime, etc have two entries in the "open with" menu. I don't have any other system folders on here and using Spotlight only yeilds one copy of each program.
Do you clone your system to an external hard drive? I remember reading once on here that using Superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner can sometimes cause this behavior, even when the external is unplugged.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

P
Nov 24, 2005, 05:47 PM

Happens when LaunchServices gets confused. It's some cache you're supposed to delete. Googling for it turned up this commandline trick

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

(on one line) which is supposed to do the resetting for you. Never tried it myself.

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2005, 07:00 AM

i think this can also happen when you have another (probably older) system installed on some other partition ...
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

Madrag
Senior User
Nov 25, 2005, 09:30 AM

it is related to the cache.

I think the advice to clean the cache does the trick, but resets the list to the system apps and the other will be taken out!!!!
( Last edited by Madrag; Nov 25, 2005 at 09:37 AM. )

nuggetman  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2005, 06:48 PM

cache clearing did the trick, and unlike madrag said, everything is listed that should be (and only once)

Madrag
Senior User
Nov 26, 2005, 05:42 AM

After testing it, most of my apps (non-apple) disappeard from the list (photoshop included).

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2005, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Madrag
After testing it, most of my apps (non-apple) disappeard from the list (photoshop included).
At startup time, all applications under /Applications get added to the LaunchServices cache. So rebooting will re-add any apps that are in /Applications or a subfolder thereof. If your apps are stored somewhere else, LaunchServices will automatically add them if you browse to their parent folders in the Finder or launch the apps.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2005, 06:24 AM

LaunchServices can find apps that aren't in /Applications too, though. I used to have a separate beta copy of Camino in my /Documents folder that always appeared in OS X's list of web browsers.

Edit: I apologize for not reading CharlesS's post thoroughly.
( Last edited by CaptainHaddock; Nov 26, 2005 at 09:39 AM. )

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2005, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock
LaunchServices can find apps that aren't in /Applications too, though. I used to have a separate beta copy of Camino in my /Documents folder that always appeared in OS X's list of web browsers.
Uh, yeah, like I just said:

Originally Posted by CharlesS
If your apps are stored somewhere else, LaunchServices will automatically add them if you browse to their parent folders in the Finder or launch the apps.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Madrag
Senior User
Nov 28, 2005, 06:06 AM

thanks for the explanation CharlesS, because I almost never restart my mac I didn't realise that...

Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2005, 12:28 PM

The easiest way to fix this is to get the utility Cocktail and use the command to Rebuild Launch Services Database. Works like a charm and not need to delete cache files etc.

Doug

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2005, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Douglashh
The easiest way to fix this is to get the utility Cocktail and use the command to Rebuild Launch Services Database. Works like a charm and not need to delete cache files etc.

Doug
Um, what Cocktail will actually do is just delete the cache files. Basically, it will just do the stuff we've already been talking about in this thread.

Madrag
Senior User
Nov 29, 2005, 06:26 AM

yes that's correct, and in previous versions, when you cleaned the cache with cocktail, it would clean the LaunchServices cache...
This has been taken out of the clean cache section (I think because some people my have complained).

Forum Links
Forum Rules