Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Real player sssllllloooowww

Real player sssllllloooowww
Nachohat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2001, 06:24 PM

I'm runing RealPlayer on my tibook and it seems just as slow as on my beige g3. Is it just me or is real player a piece of crap? I download anime, start playing them but if I pause or if I try to fast forward, the file won't play anymore! It'll keep rebuffering forever.

Has this happened to anyone else? I increased the memory allocation but that doesn't seem to help at all. Also, the image is pixelated on my ti but on my friends pc it looks just fine.

thanx for your help and comments.

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2001, 12:36 AM

yes, realplayer is a piece of crap. can't help ya much more than that, sorry. i avoid it whenever possible. sometimes it works, sometimes it spontaneously combusts.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2001, 01:29 AM

Transferring to the Multimedia forum ...

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2001, 02:45 PM

I happen to enjoy RealPlayer - It's faster and plays much more consistantly then Quicktime of any vintage.

The major problems that can be solved are these:

1) up the minumum and maximun memory requirements
2) disable all the crap that displays in the RealPlayer window- set it to minimal (or something to that effect)
3) Make sure your network speed is reflected in the prefs - 56k, DSL, T1 etc...

In almost all cases you RealPlayer should play smoother and quicker then QT, if it's not, something is wrong other than software & configuration. (If you use MacPoET then get a router, NOW, MacPoET is a resource hog and cause problems with ALL video playback)

My biggest problem with Quicktime is that broadband streams are either T1 or 56k REGARDLESS of what you select for your connection speed. It either plays 56k crappy postage stamp size or something too large to properly play.
And lastly, where's the Quicktime content? - Apple should push CNN/Yahoo/Fox/BBC and all the news sites - cause that PEICE OF CRAP MICROSOFT MEDIA PLAYER is gaining ground and will soon dominate the world once Windows XP ships.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just really tired of Apple coming up with great ideas and ever so poorly implementing them.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

berlin chris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2001, 11:34 AM

> "My biggest problem with Quicktime is that broadband streams are either T1 or 56k REGARDLESS of what you select for your connection speed. It either plays 56k crappy postage stamp size or something too large to properly play."

that is not true - QT offers up to 10 different connection speeds. in my actual project i'm useing 28.8k / 56K sorenson 2 / 56k sorenson 3 / dualISDN / DSL. it's not quicktimes fault if the mediacreator is to lazy to include different versions. you can have a realmedia surestream with 56k and T1 only too.

beside that we're haveing as many trouble with realplayer on mac as we're haveing with quicktime on pc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules