Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > cispa

cispa
subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2012, 09:13 PM

Do you think Congress realizes the Internet shot its wad on SOPA and PIPA? They seem oddly willing to play ball.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2012, 11:27 PM

Oddly? There's a lot of lobbyists pushing them along.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2012, 07:03 AM

There were lobbyists pushing against SOPA and PIPA, and congress called them big fat pirate whiners.

Right up until they realized actual voters seemed to care and they folded like a house of cards.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2012, 10:10 AM

Someone clued them in. They just rushed it through the House, it passed, and has this added "limiting provision":

Quayle (AZ), Eshoo (CA), Thompson, Mike (CA), Broun (GA): Would limit government use of shared cyber threat information to only 5 purposes: 1) cybersecurity; 2) investigation and prosecution of cybersecurity crimes; 3) protection of individuals from the danger of death or physical injury; 4) protection of minors from physical or psychological harm; and 5) protection of the national security of the United States. (10 minutes)
Which I'll note is far less limiting than the original bill.

OreoCookie
Apr 27, 2012, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Right up until they realized actual voters seemed to care and they folded like a house of cards.
It wasn't voters Congress has bowed to, but pressure from the Internet Economy (Google et al) which was big enough to kill the bills. If al that happened was an outcry of »pirates and nerds«, I don't think anyone would have cared enough to stop SOPA/PIPA.

Regarding CISPA, I hope the President vetoes the bill.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2012, 10:41 AM

Google's a touch nerdy, but I get what you're saying.

Likewise, SOPA/PIPA did actually threaten the Internet itself, while this only targets the poor schmucks who feel like using the Internet.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2012, 10:44 AM

I'd start using TOR if there weren't teams of DoJ goons scanning every byte in triplicate.

OreoCookie
Apr 27, 2012, 12:32 PM

Google's a touch nerdy, but I get what you're saying.
I wish I was just very cynical, but wrong about this point. However, the lack of a public outcry when it comes to CISPA makes me think my conjecture that is was other parts of the economy which killed SOPA/PIPA rather than »the people«. :/
Likewise, SOPA/PIPA did actually threaten the Internet itself, while this only targets the poor schmucks who feel like using the Internet.
Agreed. It's despicable what kind of laws governments have in mind, and all in the name of »security«. The worst thing is that many of these »great« ideas actually get exported into other countries when crafting similar laws.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2012, 12:58 PM

I'm bothered by the security angle, but the protect the children part is off the reservation entirely.

That could be interpreted to mean almost anything, and has different local opinions of what constitutes it. How is the DoJ supposed to fairly adjudicate that?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2012, 01:36 PM

Protect minors from physical or pyschological harm?

So if someone tells little Timmy to jump in a lake or young Tammy she's ugly, the Feds can go all up in said person's digital rectum?

It seems like so many of these Congressmen don't even take their jobs remotely seriously. I'm surprised they didn't go the whole way by inserting the child-related root password to the Constitution in this work of genius.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

OreoCookie
Apr 27, 2012, 02:01 PM

Just the language used by supporters of the bill makes me nauseous (taken from here):
Originally Posted by Mike Rogers (R-Michigan, author of the bill)
Stand for America! Support this bill!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2012, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Just the language used by supporters of the bill makes me nauseous nauseated (taken from here):
Fixed.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2012, 11:40 AM

I'm bothered by the security angle, but the protect the children part is off the reservation entirely.

That could be interpreted to mean almost anything, and has different local opinions of what constitutes it. How is the DoJ supposed to fairly adjudicate that?
That's exactly what I thought. The first bits while bothersome, at least express some goal or specificity whereas the provision for protecting children psychologically is way too broad. Is this some measure against cyber-bullying? Like you said, this could encompass literally anything.
ebuddy

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2012, 01:51 PM

I read in passing there are four other cybersecurity bills floating around.

I'm honestly so fatigued by this I can't even be bothered to look it up and post a cite.

Forum Links
Forum Rules