Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Police discrimination, misconduct, Ferguson, MO, the Roman Legion, and now math???

Police discrimination, misconduct, Ferguson, MO, the Roman Legion, and now math??? (Page 79)
subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2017, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Plus, since you are even against further scientific study into gun violence
This is not correct.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2017, 03:49 AM

I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 7, 2017, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
This is a different question from whether he's complelled to do it, and I'm not sure of the relevance.
The relevance is that appears to be what happened. That's why he kept shouting "I'm not!" when the cop told him not reach for his gun.

He was under two commands. He Followed them. He was shot for it.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2017, 11:21 AM

Not obeying a command might not be a crime under your law, but that doesn't do you any good because the cop shoots you as you were acting suspiciously by not following his command. It is not the civilian responsibility to make up for mistakes made by the cop. By this standard the civilian can't win here.
It is a law in most places: failure to obey a lawful and reasonable order of the police.

Source:
I've been arrested for it. (got the charges dropped shortly after due to the order being bullshit). But, as the cops love to say - you can beat the charge but you can't beat the ride.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2017, 12:10 PM

Not obeying a command might not be a crime under your law, but that doesn't do you any good because the cop shoots you as you were acting suspiciously by not following his command.
Am I understanding this right?

The argument is he was compelled to keep going for his wallet because if he had decided to keep his hands at 10 and 2 he might have been shot?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2017, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
The relevance is that appears to be what happened. That's why he kept shouting "I'm not!" when the cop told him not reach for his gun.

He was under two commands. He Followed them. He was shot for it.
I'm still lost here.

He followed two commands . . . . . . justice is only served once the cop is behind bars.

Connect the dots for me.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 7, 2017, 12:22 PM

The cop killed him for following his commands?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2017, 12:30 PM

The cop killed him for following his commands?
The way it appears to me is the cop killed him because he thought a gun was getting drawn on him.

IOW, the cop made a mistake with fatal consequences. The question is whether the appropriate punishment is prison.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 7, 2017, 01:00 PM

The way it appears to me is the cop killed him because he thought a gun was getting drawn on him.

IOW, the cop made a mistake with fatal consequences. The question is whether the appropriate punishment is prison.
He thought a gun was being drawn on him because the civilian was following his orders.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2017, 01:05 PM

Hence the qualification of the cops actions as a "mistake with fatal consequences".

Had the civilian been drawing a gun, it wouldn't have been a mistake to shoot him.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 7, 2017, 01:10 PM

Hence the qualification of the cops actions as a "mistake with fatal consequences".

Had the civilian been drawing a gun, it wouldn't have been a mistake to shoot him.
Why would a person intent on killing a cop tell them they have a gun on them?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2017, 01:13 PM

Under most circumstances they won't.

If they did, shooting him wouldn't require the qualifier "mistake with fatal consequences".

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 7, 2017, 01:17 PM

By not holding him Legally accountable you're saying cops can create deadly situations with no repercussions.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2017, 02:09 PM

This implies intent on the part of the cop(s).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 7, 2017, 02:18 PM

No it's pointing out the logical legal conclusion to treating this situation as an innocent mistake.

OreoCookie
Jul 7, 2017, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
It is a law in most places: failure to obey a lawful and reasonable order of the police.

Source:
I've been arrested for it. (got the charges dropped shortly after due to the order being bullshit). But, as the cops love to say - you can beat the charge but you can't beat the ride.
And even if it weren't an offense, like you wrote, you can beat the charge …
Am I understanding this right?

The argument is he was compelled to keep going for his wallet because if he had decided to keep his hands at 10 and 2 he might have been shot?
I'm saying that not following the cops instructions (as opposed to following confusing or contradictory instructions) can also serve as justification for putting someone in jail, hurting, mistreating or even killing someone. As Snow-i wrote, you'd risk being charged with breaking the law, and suddenly someone who didn't do anything wrong might have the expense of a lawyer or (perhaps because you can't afford a lawyer) a rap sheet (since you have entered a plea deal). Although, of course, we don't know what would have happened in this particular instance if the victim had refused to comply.

Again, the onus is on the trained professional, not the civilian.
This is not correct.
I think that bit is a distraction, the main point is that you are pro gun ownership, and if you are, then arguing that civilians possessing guns making the interaction more dangerous is a weird one to make.

Making honest mistakes can get you into prison, e. g. if someone dies because of my negligence, I can be charged with and convicted of manslaughter. To me the cop should be behind bars, not 25-to-life, but he has unnecessarily ended someone's life and destroyed a family and should have been given jail time. The civil cases connected to that don't change anything. (Plus, it never made sense to me that people were found not guilty in criminal court, but guilty in a civil court.)

Again, not sanctioning this is also hurting cops, because I don't think most of them “enjoy” killing innocent people, I don't think they get up and look for opportunities to kill innocent brown people. I reckon most cops would be traumatized by that event for life. Not sanctioning cops means you are keeping the few bad apples that can spoil a police department. It means that there is no discussion about improving and changing training (e. g. not spending that much training on shooting and hand-to-hand combat, but also other forms of conflict resolution). And ultimately, cops rely on having a good relation to the community. If the people they are supposed to protect are afraid of them, and for good reason, this hampers their ability to do their job and also makes their job unnecessarily more dangerous.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OreoCookie
Jul 7, 2017, 08:27 PM

No, it doesn't. You can be held legally or criminally responsible without there being any intent on your part. Of course, it makes the crime less severe, manslaughter is a lesser charge than first degree murder, but it is a crime nonetheless.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2017, 11:03 PM

I think that bit is a distraction
Then the accusation shouldn't have been made.

Of course guns make situations more dangerous. They're guns. Their function is to kill people.

Despite this, I am pro gun ownership. Freedom has a price.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2017, 04:41 PM

Freedom has a price.
And yet America continues to be the only developed/free country willing to pay it.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2017, 06:07 PM

Someone has to, it's part of the cost to be the boss.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2017, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
And yet America continues to be the only developed/free country willing to pay it.
Europe indeed paid the price with 40 million civilians dead in WW II.

At our current rate American gun violence will have reached parity in about, let's see, carry the 4... 700 years.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2017, 12:33 PM

No it's pointing out the logical legal conclusion to treating this situation as an innocent mistake.
Is the issue here the result of what happens for treating an innocent mistake as an innocent mistake, or that it isn't an innocent mistake?

I'm willing to discuss the problems with the former, but such discussion will obviously not apply to the latter.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2017, 01:27 PM

At our current rate American gun violence will have reached parity in about, let's see, carry the 4... 700 years.
I'm confused here, are you arguing that the lack of an armed populace was the cause of WW II?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2017, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
I'm confused here, are you arguing that the lack of an armed populace was the cause of WW II?
My argument was somewhat rhetorical.

The justification for the price America pays is avoidance of the types of scenarios which precipitated WW II.

I question how 20th century Europe would have played out had the citizenry been allowed the means to rebel against their own governments.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2017, 05:11 PM

My argument was somewhat rhetorical.

The justification for the price America pays is avoidance of the types of scenarios which precipitated WW II.

I question how 20th century Europe would have played out had the citizenry been allowed the means to rebel against their own governments.
I imagine you would have had bloodshed on the level of the American Civil War.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2017, 07:14 PM

Which, even if it happened in every country in Europe, still wouldn't have managed the number of deaths from WW II.

OreoCookie
Jul 9, 2017, 07:57 PM

Which, even if it happened in every country in Europe, still wouldn't have managed the number of deaths from WW II.
That's a bit facile: the American civil war preceded the development of many modern weapons such as tanks, modern machine guns, the use of barbed wire, airplanes, radios, submarines, etc. And it was fought in a society that wasn't yet completely industrialized. Had the American Civil War been fought in the early 20th century, the casualties would have been much higher.

OreoCookie
Jul 9, 2017, 07:58 PM

Yes, but America isn't at war with itself and shouldn't be compared with the casualties in war zones.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2017, 08:19 PM

That's a bit facile: the American civil war preceded the development of many modern weapons such as tanks, modern machine guns, the use of barbed wire, airplanes, radios, submarines, etc. And it was fought in a society that wasn't yet completely industrialized. Had the American Civil War been fought in the early 20th century, the casualties would have been much higher.
I assumed "bloodshed on the level of the American Civil War" meant "bloodshed on the level of the American Civil War", not "bloodshed on the level of the American Civil War were it fought with tanks and planes".

Should the latter have been what was meant, I shall revise my statement, but either way, the claim didn't come from me. I took what I was given.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2017, 08:29 PM

Yes, but America isn't at war with itself and shouldn't be compared with the casualties in war zones.
As I said, the justification for our policy is avoidance of the type of scenarios which created WW II.

The comparison is apt, because those are the two options under consideration.

Do we kill 40,000 in a year, or 40,000,000 over five? Seems an easy choice to me.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2017, 09:07 PM

Hitler was voted into power. Who exactly do you imagine would have stopped him with their guns?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2017, 09:17 PM

Of course if you lot hadn't declared independence in the first place, it seems likely we would have avoided both world wars altogether. Difficult to imagine anyone daring to take on the British Empire with the resources of 20th century America added to what it already had.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2017, 09:20 PM

Of course if you lot hadn't declared independence in the first place, it seems likely we would have avoided both world wars altogether. Difficult to imagine anyone daring to take on the British Empire with the resources of 20th century America added to what it already had.
Sorry I'm not sorry.

OreoCookie
Jul 9, 2017, 09:25 PM

As I said, the justification for our policy is avoidance of the type of scenarios which created WW II.

The comparison is apt, because those are the two options under consideration.

Do we kill 40,000 in a year, or 40,000,000 over five? Seems an easy choice to me.
But these are not the only two choices: in Europe there has neither been a big war of WW2 proportions nor a big problem in gun violence. In fact, societies are safer than ever. So pretending that these are your two options is a bit of a red herring.
I assumed "bloodshed on the level of the American Civil War" meant "bloodshed on the level of the American Civil War", not "bloodshed on the level of the American Civil War were it fought with tanks and planes".
Yes, but precisely that is the fault in your argument: If tanks had been available during the American Civil War, then you would have seen tank war fare and much larger casualties.
Should the latter have been what was meant, I shall revise my statement, but either way, the claim didn't come from me. I took what I was given.
You made the argument that an American Civil War-level event in Europe would have been preferable as the casualties would have been much lower. The reasonableness of Paco's comment on the Civil War doesn't enter here, because you could have made the same argument as I did.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2017, 10:44 PM

But these are not the only two choices: in Europe there has neither been a big war of WW2 proportions nor a big problem in gun violence. In fact, societies are safer than ever. So pretending that these are your two options is a bit of a red herring.
A fundamental reason there hasn't been a big war is American interference via NATO.

Our government rides herd on the governments of Europe. There is no one to ride herd on our government except the people.

We have chilling examples of how European governments behave when not held to account by a greater power. Were our government not held accountable, it would make the European examples look amateurish in comparison.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2017, 10:45 PM

Yes, but precisely that is the fault in your argument: If tanks had been available during the American Civil War, then you would have seen tank war fare and much larger casualties.

You made the argument that an American Civil War-level event in Europe would have been preferable as the casualties would have been much lower. The reasonableness of Paco's comment on the Civil War doesn't enter here, because you could have made the same argument as I did.
I'm lost.

If the casualties were going to be caused by tanks, then that isn't bloodshed on the level of the American Civil War, it's bloodshed on the level of WW I or II.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2017, 11:01 PM

Hitler was voted into power. Who exactly do you imagine would have stopped him with their guns?
When do the Europeans get their guns? Late 18th century, like us?

OreoCookie
Jul 9, 2017, 11:15 PM

A fundamental reason there hasn't been a big war is American interference via NATO.
No, the fundamental reason is the European project, not NATO. Having an external enemy has helped, but compare the situation to Korea and Japan which are still in conflict about what has happened during the Japanese occupation and so forth.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2017, 11:38 PM

Sorry I'm not sorry.
Me either, **** the crown.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2017, 10:31 AM

No, the fundamental reason is the European project, not NATO. Having an external enemy has helped, but compare the situation to Korea and Japan which are still in conflict about what has happened during the Japanese occupation and so forth.
The reality that the main aggressor in WW II (at least in Europe), Germany, is the one constantly trying to put the breaks on US/NATO military intervention kind of shows the argument that US is prime reason for peace in Europe is basically BS. But it does fit the narrative on American Exceptionalism which I don't generally expect to hear from Subego. However, it does sort of slot into the argument that an armed populace is a Good Thing for the US and by extension the world, so I guess that might be the angle he's coming from.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2017, 11:41 AM

The reality that the main aggressor in WW II (at least in Europe), Germany, is the one constantly trying to put the breaks on US/NATO military intervention kind of shows the argument that US is prime reason for peace in Europe is basically BS. But it does fit the narrative on American Exceptionalism which I don't generally expect to hear from Subego. However, it does sort of slot into the argument that an armed populace is a Good Thing for the US and by extension the world, so I guess that might be the angle he's coming from.
If this is the case, may I presume one of the following scenarios has more appeal?

1) A post-war Europe without NATO, and a pacifist Germany staring down three million hungry Soviets

2) A post-war Europe without NATO, and a Germany able to kick that much ass.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2017, 11:58 AM

The Spaniards fought a civil war with tanks and planes.
45/47

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2017, 12:29 PM

If this is the case, may I presume one of the following scenarios has more appeal?

1) A post-war Europe without NATO, and a pacifist Germany staring down three million hungry Soviets

2) A post-war Europe without NATO, and a Germany able to kick that much ass.
That is a very different argument than armed citizens in the US via NATO are the primary driver for peace in post WW II Europe.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2017, 12:44 PM

That is a very different argument than armed citizens in the US via NATO are the primary driver for peace in post WW II Europe.
The armed citizens in the US keep the US government in check.

The US government is essentially in charge of NATO.

NATO keeps Europe in check.

This is the mechanism by which armed citizenry in America affect European peace.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2017, 01:00 PM

The armed citizens in the US keep the US government in check.

The US government is essentially in charge of NATO.

NATO keeps Europe in check.

This is the mechanism by which armed citizenry in America affect European peace.
I would agree that NATO kept the Soviets in check, but the 'European Project' has been the primary driver for intraeuropean peace, well that and a very healthy dose of war weariness. Europe has kept NATO in check much more so than the reverse.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2017, 01:21 PM

I would agree that NATO kept the Soviets in check, but the 'European Project' has been the primary driver for intraeuropean peace, well that and a very healthy dose of war weariness. Europe has kept NATO in check much more so than the reverse.
I argue the European Project succeeded, and continues to succeed, in no small part due to:

1) Most countries in Europe not needing to concern themselves with having militaries actually powerful enough to provide for their defense.

2) An inability to be aggressive towards one's neighbors due to lacking said military.

The above conditions exist because of NATO.

I'm not really sure where exceptionalism fits into this. We're not doing this because we're nice, we're doing it because it's a net profit.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2017, 02:33 PM

I argue the European Project succeeded, and continues to succeed, in no small part due to:

1) Most countries in Europe not needing to concern themselves with having militaries actually powerful enough to provide for their defense.

2) An inability to be aggressive towards one's neighbors due to lacking said military.

The above conditions exist because of NATO.

I'm not really sure where exceptionalism fits into this. We're not doing this because we're nice, we're doing it because it's a net profit.
And I would say it's an interesting argument based on a US-centric worldview that's simply not accurate. Well, one could argue the semantics around what exactly 'no small part' means. Do I believe you point is completely without merit? No. Do I think it's the primary driver behind several generations of peace in Europe? No. My experience is that there are countries here full of battle sites and graveyards who have recognised the value of shared interest over self interest. This is demonstrated in their relative lack of restraint in engaging military action across the globe, socialist societies, economic, social, and legal cooperation, and (mostly) open borders. The idea that this is all courtesy of Uncle Sam is the all but a textbook definition of exceptionalism. Lots of good things happen in the world that America is not the primary cause of.

i would say that the populations of Europe see NATO as a force to protect from external military threats, and the EU/European Community as the bulwark against 'internal' aggression.

But that may just be my thinking- I'd love some more Euro-natives to jump in and give their thoughts.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2017, 02:50 PM

My off-the-cuff analogy is NATO contributed as much to Europe's success as being able to plant in good soil contributes to a farmer growing a successful crop.

Not the primary driver, yet vital if the farmer wants to make best use of their efforts.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 10, 2017, 05:27 PM

Is the issue here the result of what happens for treating an innocent mistake as an innocent mistake, or that it isn't an innocent mistake?

I'm willing to discuss the problems with the former, but such discussion will obviously not apply to the latter.
Dude, you can go to jail for a mistake. Involuntary manslaughter.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 10, 2017, 05:31 PM

I guess a philosophical question is whether being incredibly bad at your job is an innocent mistake.

Forum Links
Forum Rules