Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Photoshop 7

Photoshop 7
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2001, 08:21 AM

So, the holy grail of Mac OS X has finally reared it's beautiful head. And it is beautiful. Truly!

Besides the classy new palettes (also seen in Illustrator 10, GoLive 6, InDesign 2), the only new feature I can see at a glance is a filebrowser-palette, which is by default in the palette-dock.

It is disappointingly enough a bit slower than Photoshop 6 running under classic. I set up a benchmark-action and ran them both on the same image. Photoshop 6.0.1 under classic clocked in at 01:29 and Photoshop 7 X clocked in at 01:38. Subtle differences. But keep in mind that this is a beta-version, and optimization usually comes late in the development process. (In fact Mac OS X was hardly usable until 10.1 IMHO).

Photoshop looks up to be yet another killer app up there with Office

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2001, 11:33 AM

PS7 sooooo..... sllooowww....cccaaannntt.....beeeee prrrodduuuctivvve.....

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2001, 08:56 AM

It's a beta... chill

Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2001, 01:55 PM

Other new features:

- in the layer palette, there's the usual layer opacity and now a fill opacity (it changes the opacity of the content of a layer but not its effects)

- a new tool shortcut located left in the top bar

- slices in photoshop (before they were in ImageReady only)

- ?

swizcore
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2001, 09:57 PM

Photoshop 7 is faster than running 6 in classic or when Im booted into classic on my machine.
DP G4 500 w/ 1.5 g of ram
Ive said enough, to say the least.

leperkuhn
Senior User
Dec 24, 2001, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by godzookie2k:
<STRONG>PS7 sooooo..... sllooowww....cccaaannntt.....beeeee prrrodduuuctivvve.....</STRONG>
get a program running, then optimize it. ie:make it work then make it fast, one of the fundamentals of software development.

Cipher13
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2001, 07:57 AM

If Apple ran Adobe, it would have been released already

Yeah, it's slow. Give it time. HAHA, where have we heard that one before?

Good thing Adobe have their priorities straight.

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2001, 08:16 AM

Originally posted by Jerome:
<STRONG>- slices in photoshop (before they were in ImageReady only)</STRONG>
Hmmm... I've must be using the alternate build of Photoshop 6 with the debugging code removed then?

<Daniele>
Dec 27, 2001, 05:16 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
<STRONG>So, the holy grail of Mac OS X has finally reared it's beautiful head. And it is beautiful. Truly!

Besides the classy new palettes (also seen in Illustrator 10, GoLive 6, InDesign 2), the only new feature I can see at a glance is a filebrowser-palette, which is by default in the palette-dock.

It is disappointingly enough a bit slower than Photoshop 6 running under classic. I set up a benchmark-action and ran them both on the same image. Photoshop 6.0.1 under classic clocked in at 01:29 and Photoshop 7 X clocked in at 01:38. Subtle differences. But keep in mind that this is a beta-version, and optimization usually comes late in the development process. (In fact Mac OS X was hardly usable until 10.1 IMHO).

Photoshop looks up to be yet another killer app up there with Office </STRONG>
I installed Photoshop 7 Beta at one of Italy's top design company and they are very impressed with it and cant wait for the final version. It was very stable and fast enough for them to use for the latest Armani design collection. Long live Adobe.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2001, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by leperkuhn:
<STRONG>

get a program running, then optimize it. ie:make it work then make it fast, one of the fundamentals of software development.</STRONG>
wait a minute.... I think I've heard that line before....oh yeah, os x 10.0. Does this mean I'm going to have to wait until Pshop 7.1 to get any kind of speed? bwaahahahahahahahha i made a funny. I have no doubts as to its future asskickingness. However, perhaps i haven't seen all the doodads yet, but from my minimal experience with it, I don't think its *really* worth a whole version number, but maybe that is just my software development naivite talking.

(You installed a, likely, illegal beta at a design studio and are bragging about it here? why?)

nick

Cipher13
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2001, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Daniele&gt;:
<STRONG>

I installed Photoshop 7 Beta at one of Italy's top design company and they are very impressed with it and cant wait for the final version. It was very stable and fast enough for them to use for the latest Armani design collection. Long live Adobe.</STRONG>
Uh... nobody would be "impressed" with PhotoShop 7 next to 6 right now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules