Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Nonsensical Roger Ebert vs. Numbskull Twitterers

Nonsensical Roger Ebert vs. Numbskull Twitterers (Page 2)
CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2010, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
OBVIOUSLY these kids were trying to cause trouble.
Which is like if these kids were wearing shirts that said "YOU'RE STUPID!" on them... and you took offense. Yes, they were out to provoke YOU and guess what... you took the bait!

The above would actually qualify as 'provocative' a lot more than a flag, but what would be interesting would be seeing all the usual suspects who probably would take the message personally!

I love this, the 2010 definition of being 'provocative' is passively making ignorant people display and act out thier ignorance based on what t-shirt you have on. Brilliant!

Funny how a couple of school kids can so easily outwit adults who you might think would know better!

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2010, 06:58 AM

The issue isn't wearing an American flag t-shirt. The issue is the intent behind wearing an American flag t-shirt in that particular situation. Clearly their intent was to be provocative. The fact that they were wearing an American flag on their t-shirts does not give them a pass for being a*sholes.

If a group of kids rolled up wearing Mexican flag t-shirts during a 4th of July celebration would you take offense? If a group of black kids rolled up wearing red, black, & green Black American flag t-shirts during a St. Patrick's Day celebration ... would that be cool? Certainly Mexican-American or African-American kids have the right to show pride in their heritage. But doing so in a manner that is disrespectful to other people just isn't necessary IMO.

OAW
It's called freedom of speech. They have the right to wear an American flag regardless of their intent. If the intention of wearing a Mexican flag is to show pride in Mexico, there's absolutely no reason why one cannot show pride in America. Mexican-Americans do not have the right to not be offended by freedom of speech. It's an aspect of the US they'll have to accept as citizens of this country. That said, if managing a friggin' dress code in a public school is this difficult, make the beneficiaries of the free education wear uniforms.

Interesting how a celeb would indict kids for being provocative using the most inflammatory rhetoric he could find.
ebuddy

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2010, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
No.

That's the thing about America that obviously a lot of people don't understand- you're free here to do whatever you like so long as you're not violating someone else's rights, breaking the law, etc. You can wear whatever the f you want on the 4th of July, just as these kids demonstrated very well what a bunch of scared shitless pussies a lot of libs are when someone demonstrates their own freedom of speech- you know, like wearing the flag of your country IN your country!
Schools have dress codes and their own policies.

Students can't call the teacher a gay shitless pussy without getting suspended just because it's free speech.

Employees can't wear whatever they want while at work either. I wonder what will happen if I wear a t-shirt that says 'Goldman Sucks', while working at Goldman Sachs.

Restaurants can kick me out for not following their 'shirt and shoes' policy.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
It's called freedom of speech. They have the right to wear an American flag regardless of their intent. If the intention of wearing a Mexican flag is to show pride in Mexico, there's absolutely no reason why one cannot show pride in America. Mexican-Americans do not have the right to not be offended by freedom of speech. It's an aspect of the US they'll have to accept as citizens of this country. That said, if managing a friggin' dress code in a public school is this difficult, make the beneficiaries of the free education wear uniforms.

Interesting how a celeb would indict kids for being provocative using the most inflammatory rhetoric he could find.
As long as you don't dress like an illegal immigrant, you are fine.

You can never trust a bunch of white school kids dressing up the same to make a political statement.

Look at columbine. Bunch of white kids wearing trench coats lead to a mass shooting.

Racial profiling rocks!

I say it should be a new policy at school.

White kids dressing up the same should be search for guns and weapons.

I say those white kids wearing flags should not just be sent home for refusing to change their outfit, they should be strip searched.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
May 12, 2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
... White kids dressing up the same should be search for guns and weapons.
You mean 'searched' ?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
You mean 'searched' ?
Strip searched.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2010, 11:35 AM

What country do these kids live in? What country's flag is theirs?
*whoosh*

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
May 12, 2010, 01:17 PM

Which is like if these kids were wearing shirts that said "YOU'RE STUPID!" on them... and you took offense. Yes, they were out to provoke YOU and guess what... you took the bait!

The above would actually qualify as 'provocative' a lot more than a flag, but what would be interesting would be seeing all the usual suspects who probably would take the message personally!
Exactly! And if that were the case, if we bothered to talk about it at all, we'd be saying how everyone involved is an idiot - those doing the provoking and those who take the bait. And those doing the provoking would likely still be sent home from school for their behavior. So what's different here? Why should they get to hide behind the flag?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2010, 01:27 PM

Oh, I see, the hyteckit troll is active again.

-t

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2010, 01:46 PM

The students were wrong to incite a riot.

Students were told to change their clothes. They refused. They were sent home.

The school did the right thing.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2010, 01:58 PM

Twitter is never the right thing

Railroader
Banned
May 12, 2010, 05:50 PM

[retweet]

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Oh, I see, the hyteckit troll is active again.

-t
[/retweet]

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 3 characters.

????!!!!???

Even for the [retweet] tags?

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2010, 08:05 PM

It's called freedom of speech. They have the right to wear an American flag regardless of their intent. If the intention of wearing a Mexican flag is to show pride in Mexico, there's absolutely no reason why one cannot show pride in America.

Amazing anything so obvious has to be pointed out to anyone above the age of say, 3. No, actually I think even 3 year olds can get this.

What's stunning is, if the above concept is too difficult for some here to grasp, you know it's an IMPOSSIBLE LEAP for them to ever arrive at infinitely more 'complex' concepts like Cinco De Mayo ≠ US July 4th, and US flag ≠ anti Cinco De Mayo (therefore all stupid hypothetical straw-grasps based on these phony premises fail from the outset.)

Again, it amazes me how a few kids expose the knee-jerk emotion driven ignorance of many adults- without even trying all that hard.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2010, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
*whoosh*
Indeed; the sound of any concept more 'complex' than will fit on a bumpersticker sailing right over your head.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
May 12, 2010, 10:56 PM

Amazing anything so obvious has to be pointed out to anyone above the age of say, 3. No, actually I think even 3 year olds can get this.

What's stunning is, if the above concept is too difficult for some here to grasp, you know it's an IMPOSSIBLE LEAP for them to ever arrive at infinitely more 'complex' concepts like Cinco De Mayo ≠ US July 4th, and US flag ≠ anti Cinco De Mayo (therefore all stupid hypothetical straw-grasps based on these phony premises fail from the outset.)

Again, it amazes me how a few kids expose the knee-jerk emotion driven ignorance of many adults- without even trying all that hard.
So, apparently,

Act like a d-bag = get kicked out of school.
Act like a d-bag while hiding behind the US Flag = you're a hero, and anyone that notices you're a d-bag behind the awesome glow of the US flag must be a commie.

Yes, it amazes me how a few kids expose the knee-jerk emotion driven ignorance of many adults - including the ones seeking to protect them - without even trying all that hard.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2010, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by CreepDogg View Post
So, apparently,
Act like a d-bag = get kicked out of school.
So freakin' what?

Since when was kids acting like KIDS been anything new? It's libs getting their panties in a twist over what some kids in school wear that's 100% harmless and completely innocuous that are the d-bags.

Just more proof that liberals absolutely loathe freedom of speech. You only agree with freedom of leftwing speech. That's the bottom line. I mean, we all knew this- it's just entertaining as hell to see you guys fall all over yourselves proving it.

Ladies and gentlemen, the new target of liberal fear:

And yes, if you got 'provoked' by the above, you're a total pansy.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
May 13, 2010, 09:07 AM

So freakin' what?

Since when was kids acting like KIDS been anything new?
Exactly! Sometimes kids act like idiots and get sent home from school for a day. So what's the problem?

It's libs getting their panties in a twist over what some kids in school wear that's 100% harmless and completely innocuous that are the d-bags.

Just more proof that liberals absolutely loathe freedom of speech. You only agree with freedom of leftwing speech. That's the bottom line. I mean, we all knew this- it's just entertaining as hell to see you guys fall all over yourselves proving it.
Almost as entertaining as watching you fall over yourself defending a bunch of idiots with a bunch of right-wing blather, while failing to recognize when something is and isn't a freedom of speech issue. Have fun with that!

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2010, 10:19 AM

How is this not a freedom of speech issue?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 13, 2010, 10:24 AM

Last time I checked, kids in schools don't have a right to freedom of speech.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
May 13, 2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
How is this not a freedom of speech issue?
It's

'Congress shall make no law...'

not

'Schools shall send no numbskulls home for the day...'

What's ironic is that in another thread, we have a scenario where a legislative entity (granted, not Congress) actually did pass a law banning certain messages, and conservatives are falling all over themselves defending that as heroic and 'right'. Seems to me that some people think 'freedom of speech' applies only to what they want to hear.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2010, 11:55 AM

Here's Roger Ebert's response:

Oh, say, can you wear? - Roger Ebert's Journal

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2010, 12:38 PM

Here's Roger Ebert's response:

Oh, say, can you wear? - Roger Ebert's Journal
Awesome piece! Sums up the stupidity of this whole "controversy" quite nicely.

Of particular note ...

Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Let me begin by repeating something I clearly stated in my earlier article. In fact, I will quote: "Many others informed me that Americans have the right to be proud of our flag, and wear it on T-shirts. Of course they do. That isn't the question." To repeat: Yes, the students have a right to wear the American flag on their t-shirts.

They have this right, even though article 8d in Chapter One of the U. S. Code states, "The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery," and article 8j states, "No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations."

They have the right to do it, even though doing so, according to the Code, is a sign of disrespect.
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
The Right rises up in righteous fury. This is an insult to the flag, we learn. Although often well versed in such matters, these people do not know, or share, that according to the U. S. Code wearing an American flag t-shirt at all is an insult to the flag.

There is a controversy. The administrator who sent the boys home apologizes for his decision. Learned editorial writers sadly explain he lost a "teaching opportunity" to illustrate the practice of Freedom of Speech.

Well, perhaps he did. I can think of another lost teaching opportunity: One to illustrate the practice of tolerance and empathy. It is not kind or good to deliberately make a point of offending another group. This has nothing to with the American flag itself, which I'm sure those Mexican-Americans consider their own. Many of their older brothers and relatives may now be serving in American uniforms.
OAW

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2010, 07:22 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, the new target of liberal fear:

Originally Posted by Ebert
...article 8d in Chapter One of the U. S. Code states, "The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery," and article 8j states, "No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations."
funny... somehow
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Last time I checked, kids in schools don't have a right to freedom of speech.
No, but they do have a right to wear a wide variety of clothes as long as they meet the school dress code. Unless the school has gone to a policy of uniforms and/or haven't clarified anything about wearing patriotic or nationalistic apparel, they kinda just gotta let it friggin' go and manage the children as professional administrators of children. As it stands, the school administration essentially determined that the American flag shirts were saying something provocative, then decided to kick them out while allowing the other flag-wearing students to stay. You don't have the right to not be offended either. It's impossible. The back-lash on this is not only understandable, but 100% legit.

IMO, a better way of handling this in an educational environment would've been to line up both factions of t-shirt bandits for a little pop quiz;
- Why is Cinco de Mayo significant in Mexico's history? "Well... I... uh..." Mmhmm. You'll be spending the day in in-house suspension to learn about what it is you're supposedly celebrating.

- What do the stars and stripes on the US flag represent? "Well... I... uh..." Yup. You'll be spending the day in in-house suspension to learn about what it is you're supposedly celebrating as well.
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2010, 07:40 PM

pbblllbbbtttdt
ebuddy

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2010, 07:41 PM

No, but they do have a right to wear a wide variety of clothes as long as they meet the school dress code. Unless the school has gone to a policy of uniforms and/or haven't clarified anything about wearing patriotic or nationalistic apparel, they kinda just gotta let it friggin' go and manage the children as professional administrators of children. As it stands, the school administration essentially determined that the American flag shirts were saying something provocative, then decided to kick them out while allowing the other flag-wearing students to stay. You don't have the right to not be offended either. It's impossible. The back-lash on this is not only understandable, but 100% legit.
I think he means that school administrators have latitude to remove students if they feel they are being disruptive, whether that's in what they are wearing, what they saying, or what they are doing. Always have. The "dress code" is a guideline for behavior, not a law to be appealed (except perhaps to the school board). There is no equal protection under the dress code. So while the backlash might be understandable, so might be the original decision.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2010, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I think he means that school administrators have latitude to remove students if they feel they are being disruptive, whether that's in what they are wearing, what they saying, or what they are doing. Always have. The "dress code" is a guideline for behavior, not a law to be appealed (except perhaps to the school board). So while the backlash might be understandable, so might be the original decision.
I understood what was meant, I'm saying I disagree with the original decision. Both the principal and superintendent expressed regret for the original decision. Cinco de Mayo is not only not a national holiday in the US, it's primarily a regional holiday in Mexico. If wearing an American flag in America is "incendiary", so is wearing a Mexican flag on a day of little to no significance in the US. This is nothing more than school administrators over-thinking a non-problem and showed the children that their authority figures are scared to death of them.
ebuddy

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2010, 08:04 PM

I understood what was meant, I'm saying I disagree with the original decision. Both the principal and superintendent expressed regret for the original decision. Cinco de Mayo is not only not a national holiday in the US, it's primarily a regional holiday in Mexico. If wearing an American flag in America is "incendiary", so is wearing a Mexican flag on a day of little to no significance in the US. This is nothing more than school administrators over-thinking a non-problem and showed the children that their authority figures are scared to death of them.
I haven't read much about this, so I don't know what the specific context at the time was. But I can certainly imagine a situation where a group of students wearing American flags in America could be "incendiary" while wearing a Mexican flag would not be. It doesn't take a huge leap of imagination.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2010, 08:13 PM

I say get rid of Cinco de Mayo and St. Patrick's day.

Never understood why we celebrate those holidays in US schools.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2010, 08:15 PM

Why do you hate Irish people?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2010, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Why do you hate Irish people?
Me? Nah. I just hate Saints.

Seriously, both Cinco de Mayo and St. Patrick's day are just excuses to drink and sell alcohol.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2010, 06:53 AM

You mean no more 'Kiss me I'm Irish' t-shirts, leprechaun jokes, or green beer? I'm in. I mean, it's not like anyone is choosing this day to sport Ireland's flag anyway, but then it was intended more as a religious holiday than some nationalist sentiment regarding a country your brethren likely risked their lives abandoning. I'm just sayin'.

What would've been interesting to me is to see how many people would've been offended by others wearing French colors on Cinco de Mayo. I wonder how many would've picked up on the incendiary reference.
ebuddy

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2010, 12:04 PM

I was wearing a US flag pin on my jacket during St Patty's day and the backlash was horrible, people at my local pub were trying to poison me with cheap green beer. They were all laughing and joking, but deep down I could tell that they were really enraged. It upset them greatly, even though they weren't showing it. Those bastards.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2010, 03:27 PM

In first place, Cinco de Mayo in America is just another idiotic attempt to manufacture multiculturalism by overemphasizing an relatively minor holiday. Just like Hanukkah or Kwanzaa. It's just more silly PC nonsense. This is America, and if people come here they come into OUR culture. If they want to celebrate their own holidays so be it but we are under no moral obligation to accommodate that in schools or the workplace and we shouldn't be.

That being said, students in school don't get the benefit of freedom of speech and such. Never have. Get over it. As long as the school is being consistent (and I have no idea if they are) they are have every right to do what they did. I don't agree with it…but they did nothing wrong. This is a pretty lame issue.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
In first place, Cinco de Mayo in America is just another idiotic attempt to manufacture multiculturalism by overemphasizing an relatively minor holiday. Just like Hanukkah or Kwanzaa. It's just more silly PC nonsense. This is America, and if people come here they come into OUR culture. If they want to celebrate their own holidays so be it but we are under no moral obligation to accommodate that in schools or the workplace and we shouldn't be.
I'm tired of hearing these sorts of "our way or get out" sorts of arguments. There is a real danger in this thinking. Whether the schools should do something for these holidays is a separate argument, but I take exception to this general attitude.

For starters, it encourages ignorance, hostility, intolerance, and it conflicts with the goals of a multi-cutural society (which we have as a result of accepting immigrants and allowing them to celebrate their holidays and cultural practices).

You can't have it both ways - you either have a multi-cultural or mono-culture society. How this affects public policy is another story.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2010, 07:05 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, the new target of liberal fear...
The majority of Mexicans are conservative.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2010, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
You are only as conservative as your vote.
ebuddy

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2010, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
So then what's 'provacative' about an American flag?

Consequently, are liberals provoked by the American flag? Interesting!

What's even funnier, is suddenly the left are the mouthpieces of respect for the flag, to the point of denying a couple of kids from wearing it symbolically! Too funny.

Ebert again proves to be a jackass- the US code referring to the flag is only in regards to an ACTUAL FLAG- that is, a flag that's up on a pole flapping in the breeze. The conservative position on respect for the flag is along the lines of not burning one in protest, etc. Issues of the flag touching the ground or not, wearing a whole one or pieces of one, etc. are only in regard to an ACTUAL FLAG. None of this has a thing to do with an image or likeness of the flag. Hell, if wearing a flag image was disrespectful, then the traditional depiction of Uncle Sam himself would be anti-flag. It's a wishy-washy non-argument.

Ebert's own little rant is full of silly contradictions as he almost gets close to acknowledging that there's nothing 'provocative' about American kids, in an American town wearing the American flag, with other hyphenated-American kids celebrating what's actually a largely American holiday. (It's not even celebrated in Mexico!)

But again, despite facts, he still insists this is somehow being 'disrespectful' which is typical of the left. "All the facts are against me, but let me wax past all that real quick and 'clever' like and insist on my original point of feigned outrage despite all facts to the contrary!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules