Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Define "alcoholic"

Define "alcoholic"
Tiresias
Oct 27, 2011, 12:46 PM

I believe this word is overused; particularly by my wife.

At all such times, I apply the clinical definition of addition to alcohol: an alcoholic is someone who sees that their drinking is having negative consequences of every kind, but continues to drink.

See?

What a refreshing contrast to the vulgar, untrained minds who call any man who enjoys a drink or twelve on a Tuesday morning an alcoholic; or a man whose first drink happens to set off an innocent inexorable chain reaction of subsequent drinks that culminate in horizontality and unconsciousness, imbecilic violence towards inanimate objects, or sudden inexplicable compulsions to fry bacon at four o'clock in the morning, an alcoholic; or—let us say—a hypothetical man who finds it convenient and provident to take a nap on the sidewalk outside his apartment on Sunday morning after two litres of vodka rather than climbing twenty four (twenty four, if you please!) steps to his apartment an alcoholic.

Such flagrant and flippant misuse of the word divests it of its value, and leaves it, like a coin worn smooth by countless hands, bereft of... cogent word... someone who is act...

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2011, 01:30 PM

Word.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2011, 02:04 PM

alcoholic => addicted to alcohol.
See: Define "addicted"
Not to be confused with habitual.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2011, 02:29 PM

Many would consider me an alcoholic, but I still drink. I've just trained myself, through great effort, to stop after a couple.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2011, 02:44 PM

"I don't have to drink. I drink to relax--"

"But you do drink, though."

"Well, I have to drink!"

Dr. Katz has a drinking problem - YouTube

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2011, 02:55 PM

Alcoholics go to meetings. What you have there is a drunk.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2011, 03:06 PM

Unless behavior listed in OP is a regular thing, like, nearly every time they drink, then what you have is someone who still wants to cut loose every now and again.

I average about a beer or two a day, but I haven't been stinking drunk in a damn long time. Last time I was 'drunk' was coincidentally the last time I danced all night, which I'm sure was hilarious to behold.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I've just trained myself, through great effort, to stop after a couple.
Why?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
a drink or twelve, four o'clock in the morning, two litres of vodka, twenty four
Anyone who can remember figures like you do isn't an alcoholic. You're not trying hard enough.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2011, 03:29 PM

I don't know exactly what an alcoholic is, but I sometimes find it distasteful when people joke about and trivialize getting super drunk constantly. True alcoholism is no fun at all.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Why?
Because I like the taste of wine, whisky, beer, etc.. Nothing like a nice glass of port while reading on a cold winter's night.

My main problem is social situations. So I usually avoid drinking during those, unless it's like one drink that I nurse for a couple hours.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2011, 05:22 PM

I've recently pretty much given up on scotch - I've decided I simply like beer and wine better as a bang for my buck, although I promised myself one more bottle of Lagavulin to see if I change my mind - but I have at least one drink a day, every day. And it feels so good when it touches my lips.

finboy
Oct 27, 2011, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Many would consider me an alcoholic, but I still drink. I've just trained myself, through great effort, to stop after a couple.
I've never been considered an alcoholic, but back when I drank (before diabetes) I would always stop at one or two, maybe every other week or two. But I can easily see how people start drinking all the time - it would have been easy for me to slip into that mode, I like the taste that much. Especially the taste of margaritas done well. Yum.

An alcoholic is someone who suffers negative consequences from their drinking? I think I can go along with that one.

Tiresias  (op)
Oct 28, 2011, 10:49 AM

My favorite definition so far is, "alcoholics go to meetings."

But does heavy drinking weekend weekend constitute alcoholism?

If so, almost everyone I hang out with on the weekend is an alcoholic.

There are problem drinkers, and there are drinking problems. Two completely different boxes of apples.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2011, 10:54 AM

Yeah, I think all I can say is, there are bad drinking habits and then there are flat-out alcoholics.

I don't drink often, I don't drink alone, but a lot of the times I do go out I'm slightly more likely to get plastered than not. Partly because my tolerance is so low and I don't always recognize I'm as drunk as I am.

Tiresias  (op)
Oct 28, 2011, 11:03 AM

And what's wrong with getting trashed anyway?

Proponents of the "drunken monkey hypothesis" imagine our simian ancestors getting drunk on piles of fermented fruit—a scenario invoked to explain our unusual, and seemingly evolved, ability to metabolize ethanol; technically, the presence of the enzyme acetaldehyde dehydrogenase in the human liver.

It all makes sense: God wants us to get wasted, which is why Christ turned water into wine.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2011, 11:05 AM

In my case, I am not pleased with my inability to appropriately gauge my level of intoxication. Which is not to say they aren't times when I would like that level of intoxication.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2011, 11:27 AM

I takes me too long to recuperate. I used to be able to drink till 4am and get up at 7am and feel ok (not 100% but OK). Then it took a few hours so I'd only get drunk at the weekends. Then it took a day. Then I had kids so I calmed down, and now I find that I'm not 100% for 2 days if I have a session.

A session = starting at 5 or 6pm and then mixing beer, wine and strong spirits until at least 2am.

OreoCookie
Oct 28, 2011, 12:01 PM

Drinking too much alcohol is getting problematic if you use it to »deal« with problems. To me this is the difference between an alcoholic and someone who likes alcohol, but isn't addicted. This means you don't have to drink every night to be an alcoholic. One of my uncles, for instance, is a borderline case: whenever he was having marital problems, he'd start drinking a lot. When things at home cooled down again, his drinking habits returned to normal.

I'm not sure whether I should take all your examples in your initial post at face value, but the examples you've given seem a little on the extreme side for someone who is older than 25. If your wife objects to your drinking habits, I'd take that seriously.
Proponents of the "drunken monkey hypothesis" imagine our simian ancestors getting drunk on piles of fermented fruit—a scenario invoked to explain our unusual, and seemingly evolved, ability to metabolize ethanol; technically, the presence of the enzyme acetaldehyde dehydrogenase in the human liver.
Fruit and fruit juices naturally contain some alcohol, so it is quite obvious that there was a need for our body to metabolize alcohol. It has nothing to do with getting intoxicated.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2011, 12:11 PM

If you can train yourself to drink a pint or so of water before you pass out, you often avoid being hungover. Depends what you drink though.

I went to a Whisky show last year and drank nothing but copious free samples of single malt scotch. Just walked round and round drinking scotch for about 5 hours. I was hung over for three days. Don't do it kids, start on the beer and finish the evening with the good stuff.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I've recently pretty much given up on scotch - I've decided I simply like beer and wine better as a bang for my buck, although I promised myself one more bottle of Lagavulin to see if I change my mind - but I have at least one drink a day, every day. And it feels so good when it touches my lips.
Thats my favourite dram as well. Just bought a new bottle of the standard 16 year old expression last week. If you like sherry finished whiskies and even if you don't, I cannot recommend the Lagavulin Distiller's Edition strongly enough. Its absolutely spectacular.

Lagavulin 1994 Distillers Edition : Buy Online - The Whisky Exchange
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2011, 01:12 PM

I've got to calm do with beer so I've been looking at the stronger stuff, but I just cannot drink whiskey/whisky. Vodka is good but TBH I'm running short of ideas of what to mix it with. Tonic or soda water just doesn't do it. Maybe another thread is needed, wouldn't want to digress too much in the Lounge now would we.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Thats my favourite dram as well. Just bought a new bottle of the standard 16 year old expression last week. If you like sherry finished whiskies and even if you don't, I cannot recommend the Lagavulin Distiller's Edition strongly enough. Its absolutely spectacular.

Lagavulin 1994 Distillers Edition : Buy Online - The Whisky Exchange
Wow, nice. I don't think I can find that here in Canada - I've never seen it, anyway. I've only had the 16.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Wow, nice. I don't think I can find that here in Canada - I've never seen it, anyway. I've only had the 16.
It really is something else. If you can find somewhere that will ship you one, you should get them to ship you one. Strangely The Whisky Exchange will ship to the US but Canada is not listed. Might be worth dropping them an email.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2011, 05:29 PM

I've got to calm do with beer so I've been looking at the stronger stuff, but I just cannot drink whiskey/whisky. Vodka is good but TBH I'm running short of ideas of what to mix it with. Tonic or soda water just doesn't do it. Maybe another thread is needed, wouldn't want to digress too much in the Lounge now would we.
People drink Whisky incorrectly.

Firstly you shouldn't put ice in it. Water is fine, cold water is ok but not too cold. It should be mineral water, not tap. Ideally from the same source used by the distillery but you can't have it all. With single malts, mixers are also generally a big no-no though there are more and more cocktails being attempted these days and some sound ok to me.

Secondly you shouldn't drink it too fast. Unless its bourbon. You should hold it in your mouth for at least one second for every year it spent in the barrel. Swill it around your mouth as different parts of your tongue will pick up different flavours. Whisky will also make you salivate which also affects the flavour. Many whiskies have different flavours that come through gradually as you taste it. For a good guide on nosing and tasting whisky, listen to the master:

Pt 1 of 2 - How to Taste Whisky with Richard Paterson - YouTube
Pt 2 of 2 - How to Taste Whisky with Richard Paterson - YouTube

These are well worth watching, he has his masterclass down to a fine art, I was fortunate enough to be treated to a performance live. It contributed to my aforementioned single malt hangover.

The only thing I would add to the method described in the videos is something I've taught a lot of people who have unanimously told me it makes a big difference to their ability to appreciate good whisky: When you swallow the whisky, keep your mouth closed. This tempers that very harsh sensation from the alcohol evaporating in your throat on the way down and lets you fully appreciate the finish of the whisky instead.

It sounds like the sort of pretentious bollocks you get from wine buffs when they nose and taste wine but its actually much easier to taste the different flavours in whisky and there generally seems to be less peer pressure for people to agree with each other about what they can taste. Its different for everyone and even the same bottle can taste different to you from one day to the next.

Tiresias  (op)
Oct 28, 2011, 08:03 PM

Beer makes me feel bloated. It also makes my face puff up if I over do it.

Alcohol generally has a lot of calories.

May I suggest you try Barcadi and coke with a wedge of lime? It's a very nice, tangy drink. And tastes the same with zero calorie coke. Why add 3000 calories to your diet just to enjoy your weekend?

Tiresias  (op)
Oct 28, 2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Fruit and fruit juices naturally contain some alcohol, so it is quite obvious that there was a need for our body to metabolize alcohol. It has nothing to do with getting intoxicated.
I got my degree in evolutionary biology from the University of Wikipedia.

Drunken monkey hypothesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seems you may be right. No mention of monkeys literally getting hammered on piles of rotten fruit. A catchy, but ultimately misleading name for the theory.
( Last edited by Tiresias; Oct 28, 2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: typo)

Tiresias  (op)
Oct 28, 2011, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
If your wife objects to your drinking habits, I'd take that seriously.
Sound advice. But then, my wife objects to so much that I do.

If she had her way, I'd be a teetotaler and a non-smoker who called his mother every week and spent his Fridays and Saturdays at home reading books to his daughter instead of blowing hundreds of dollars a month buying rounds of drinks for anonymous bar flies—and never, ever peed in the kitchen sink.
( Last edited by Tiresias; Oct 28, 2011 at 08:39 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules