Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iBooks Author vs. Push Pop Press

iBooks Author vs. Push Pop Press
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2012, 05:14 PM

Did Apple just "sherlock" its former designer Mike Matas and the company he and his partner recently sold to Facebook ... Push Pop Press?

Is iBooks 2 really just Push Pop Press rebranded? | The TechBlock

Certainly wouldn't be the first time Apple has jacked a third-party developer.

OAW

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2012, 05:23 PM

Also there seems to be some weird stuff in the EULA. Weird as in, according to the EULA, anything you make with the new iBook maker app is owned entirely by Apple.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2012, 05:31 PM

Link please?

Edit:

http://venomousporridge.com/post/161...-eula-audacity (via Daring Fireball)
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Jan 19, 2012 at 05:39 PM. )

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2012, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Link please?
I think this is overblown. But I saw it mentioned earlier today by John Gruber at Daring Fireball. The link he referenced was the following ....

venomous porridge - The Unprecedented Audacity of the iBooks Author EULA

Which to me is just the standard business model that Apple has been doing for years. If you give away a textbook created with iBooks Author for free ... then you can distribute it as you please. If you charge a fee ... then you can only distribute it through the iBookstore. Where of course Apple will get a cut.

OAW

Demonhood
Administrator
Jan 19, 2012, 07:53 PM

They'll probably have a clarifying statement about it soon. I can see what the lawyer was thinking though, locking them to the iBookstore if they're going to use Apple's free tools. Having everyone use iBooks Author to make Kindle books wouldn't work out very well for them.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2012, 08:05 PM

I'm super excited about this. Given that I'm working at converting the novel that I wrote into a graphic novel, this is pretty well a Godsend! Or at least an Applesend

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2012, 10:30 PM

I've been playing with this a bit, I confess I'm not super in love with some aspects ... though that's probably mostly because I had preexisting content that I will have to reformat. The thing that I'm also concerned about is that the orientation swich can probably screw with certain content. I wish that there was a way to lock it.

Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2012, 04:13 AM

OK, so I've been playing with it more and my opinion has changed a lot ... now that I'm done converting on the stuff I had already, the new stuff I'm doing with it in mind is awesome and iBooks Author comes with a LOT of great features. It's funny, I have submitted at least one feature request only to find out that it's already in there and I just didn't notice it. There's a few more options that I'd love to have, but for a 1.0 release this thing is awesome!

What I'm really anticipating is the ability to make iPhone formatted books. I realize that the iPhone isn't perfect for text books, but there's other books that could be formatted for it that would be killer! Even the ability to navigate iBooks books in the same manner that you can navigate normal websites.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2012, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Did Apple just "sherlock" its former designer Mike Matas and the company he and his partner recently sold to Facebook ... Push Pop Press?
Excuse-me, but what do you mean by "sherlock" here?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2012, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Karelia Watson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2012, 09:13 AM

Thanks Spheric.

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2012, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I suppose I'm dating myself with that reference huh? I've been using Mac OS X since the initial public beta ... so anyone who has knows that Apple is by no means above taking a popular third-party app like Watson (thanks for the assist Spheric ) and incorporating the design and feature set into a subsequent release of OS X ... usually without compensation or even acknowledgement to the third-party developer. Over the years this phenomenon has often been referred to as a third-party developer being "sherlocked" by Apple based on the first and most egregious example of this in the OS X era.

OAW

Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2012, 04:51 PM

Also Push Pop never even released their product outside of Our Choice. My guess is that Gore talked with the people at Push Pop about what Apple was planning.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2012, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
I suppose I'm dating myself [...]
(thanks for the assist Spheric )
It's odd: every once in a while you notice just how long you've been doing this stuff, and you think, "damn, I don't *feel* that old..."

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2012, 07:08 PM

^^^^^

Indeed.

OAW

Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2012, 08:16 PM

Don't worry, I got the Shelock reference.

The funny part is, if you think about it, back in the early 2000s, Apple had only a few new updates a year and they were generally pretty small. New versions of the OS came out more frequently but they generally only had a few major features. These days we get an iOS update every year, an OS X update about every two years, fewer iLife updates, but tons of crazy Apps, and new iPhones and iPads every year ... yet I think I was always more excited back then ... I think partly because there was a sense that Apple was at risk ... now that they've come from behind and proved us all right ... it's less exciting.

Not that I'm tempted to suddenly become a Microsoft or Google fan ... but I kinda miss those days of being on the under dog platform.

Demonhood
Administrator
Feb 3, 2012, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
They'll probably have a clarifying statement about it soon.
Revised

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2012, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
but I kinda miss those days of being on the under dog platform.
Want that feeling again ?

Go Canadian and buy a Blackberry

-t

Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2012, 04:10 AM

I owned a BlackBerry. I mean being on the under dog platform that's actually better

Forum Links
Forum Rules